Black & Blue Project

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Just wondering if you've done any of the "6.0L mods"? These motors can make a ton of power but they have a few very notorious flaws which require some serious engine work and can really leave you stranded.

Commonly, both the EGR and engine oil coolers are deleted, as well as replacing the injectors with an updated design and replacing the head bolts with ARP headstuds. These are the major known issues with the engine and once fixed this motor goes from being "fatally flawed" to rock solid. Also, I'd look at getting a Scangauge so you can monitor your FICM voltage. That's about the only other thing I can think of off hand that would leave you in a bad spot.

Killer rig. The more I see these 4x4 vans the more I want one. Impressive fab/design skills.

Steubs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you're not familiar with the Powerstroke 6.0L, I suggest you do some research. They are capable of making a lot of power, but they're regarded very poorly because of the flaws I mentioned above. A lot of guys here run them successfully, but most have done the things I mentioned.

This van has had an EGR cooler delete, intake & turbo cleaning, upgraded fuel return spring, coolant flush, New turbo outlet hose, lots of little things as well as a Scangauge and EGT gauge to monitor the EOT, WT and TFT. We also have a custom 80hp eco tune made by DP Tuner that shuts down the EGR valve. Doing head studs or injectors on these vans requires the engine or body to be pulled so we only do that if the injectors or head gaskets are having issues.

We just installed a Bulletproof aux oil cooler on VivaLaVida, turned out great and he's seeing lower temps across the board.

stormlover

Adventurer
The Bulletproof oil cooler is a solution in search of a problem IMO if the other stuff has been taken care of. I presume the tune that turns off the EGR valve is really only to turn off the check engine light since the EGR cooler has been deleted.

Awesome rig.

thethePete

Explorer
Nice to hear back from UJoint on the matter. I wasn't sure if you guys were strictly suspension/conversions or not.

95% of my experience with Ford Diesels has been in F-chassis, so I wasn't aware that the vans were detuned so far, and I'm familiar with the cab-off process on Fords, not the best job in the world.

I've only ever seen headbolt failure when guys are really pushing things, it sounds like you guys cover all the key bases for bombproofing these motors. You've got enough out there, so obviously you know what you're doing, but being a Ford mechanic, it always amazes me how much the overlanding crowd seems to love the 6.0L PSD.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online