low budget trailer build

andysgreenxj

Observer
In the middle of a low budget repurposed trailer build. Hoping to get some input from some of the guys on here who have built theirs on here, and was curious if anyone else has used the factory springs from a TJ in their builds with a trailing arm type of set-up. Any help in this would be greatly appriciated:bike_rider:

andysgreenxj

Observer
yge2y6uz.jpg
geqyba2a.jpg
banemy3a.jpg

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk

andysgreenxj

Observer
I've finally figured out to post my pics from my phone...woohoo! At any rate, my question is whether anyone on here has some suggestions as to what would work on a low budget... was thinking a simple trailing arm, with a pan hard rod to keep it centered...any thought:D

Septu

Explorer
What's wrong with the leaf spring setup? If you're trying to go with a budget build (keeping in mind "budget" is subjective), why not keep what's already if it's working? IF it's not working, I would think that someone could give suggestions to use an existing leaf pack off of something...

navigator

Adventurer
If it was me, I would keep it simple to start with. I would throw a lid/tailgate on it along with some paint and use it.
I might later add a tongue box on it.
See what you feel like you need as you use it. You might find you want to add on board water, slides, sink etc and you might decide to just leave it as is.

andysgreenxj

Observer
The reason for changing it up, is i have some stock springs from my buddies tj rubi, and the materials to make it work. Whats not working right now, is even when loaded with a 1000lbs of scrap metal, this bad boy still bounces pretty good. the main reason for wanting to swap out the leaves for coils, is to hopefully settle the ride quality, so that the eggs and beer i take camping dont explode on a dirt road...lol!:wings:

Septu

Explorer
The main reason for wanting to swap out the leaves for coils, is to hopefully settle the ride quality, so that the eggs and beer i take camping dont explode on a dirt road...lol!:wings:

If the you have the stuff, then go for it. As for it being too hard of a ride... I just lowered the air in the tires. Perhaps not the 'correct' thing to do... but when I can get decent used tires all day long, it's easier and cheaper then screwing around with the suspension.

navigator

Adventurer
lowering the air pressure helped mine as well and it doesn't even have springs yet. The guy I got it from welded a straight axle to the tub so lowering the tire pressure was the only way to help absorb the shock until I add springs.
I pulled it about 25 minutes to our hunting lease earlier this year and when I got ready to leave noticed the tire was empty. It wasn't flat because the trailer was too light, just no air in the tire. 20lbs of air has been plenty in my trailer but I haven;t been putting a lot of gear in it yet.

Here is a link to my trailer, I haven't really started on it yet.
my build

andysgreenxj

Observer
This was what I started with. It was 23ft long when I got it, 6ft wide between the fenders...now the frame is 4x6, and the sides are 22inches tall

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
I was wondering if you were making a land base air craft carrier there for a minute. You have done a great job, the trailer looks very useable. You might try removing a leaf on the springs and lowering the tire pressure. I run mine at 20 on the freeway and have no problems.

Chili

Explorer
Why not just add shocks to dampen the "bounce"?

Genuine question from a novice, no ulterior motives...

andysgreenxj

Observer
I think some of the issue is that the springs do.tt have any movement, as all of the pivots are bound up...the only bounce I get is from the tires, so unfortunately, the shocks won't help. As of right now, the trailer widths in at 700lbs...I've still got to put a floor, tailgate, lid, and platform for a 5x7 tent to go on. I'll build a chuck box, along with storage for all my camping gear.

andysgreenxj

Observer
Well, its been awhile since I've posted anything on this build, so here goes guys...finally took it for a maiden run up an easy trail, just to see how it did...and I'm happy as can be, as it pulled very well. Did have some minor damage from a brush with a rock, but a bfh fixed that...;) I did make a minor adjustment to one of the sides to true it up, and make it square, and also made a mount for my pintle hitch...so I'm pretty happy with that...uploadfromtaptalk1410832597559.jpguploadfromtaptalk1410832617387.jpguploadfromtaptalk1410832637102.jpguploadfromtaptalk1410832655701.jpguploadfromtaptalk1410832680683.jpguploadfromtaptalk1410832701827.jpguploadfromtaptalk1410832716379.jpg

andysgreenxj

Observer
Also trying to figure out a mount for mine, and my kids mountain bikes...also trying to figure out how to make something work for a battery/control box on the front...that, opinions, drop down rear gate, or swing out door? Throw me some ideas guys...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles