scratch build Trailer for my diesel Jeep Cj5

thanks! the tool box kitchen has been working out well. And you're right, It is made from items that were useless otherwise. The toolbox was sitting in my yard for about a year since I sold my truck, the stove and sink were from the popup camper I bought for the title, and the counter top was scrap from the cabinetry shop I used to work at....heck the caulking I used to seal the countertop with was a tube I found in the basement of our house when we first moved here. So it was pretty much free...lol

First "Big" trip

Just got back from our first long (for us this is long) trip. We went to northwest PA (warren) for 4 days and 3 nights. It was awesome. We met up with our friends that have a huge boat and had a grand ole time. The trailer worked great. I added some LED lights to the kitchen and cargo area.....what a great mod. It made life so much easier. Next upgrade with include an awning (rained for 24hours) and An ARB fridge. We pulled it with the wife's 4Runner...it pulled well. I averaged 19mpg! I was happy considering we drove 429miles total and almost all of it was hills. Here are some photos of our trip. [/[URL=http://s1080.photobucket.com/user/captain_neto/media/DSC_0873_zps0ffc6878.jpg.html] URL]

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Kinzua state park is a beautiful place. I walked many times across the bridge and even watched the passenger train cross it before the storm blew it down.
A great area for cool sid eof the road stuff too. Nice pictures and an excellent job on the trailer.

Sharpie

Observer
What kind of storm could have blown that down?

The trailer has come along nicely. I like the whole setup. Glad you could get out and use it with the whole family. What are you using to power the lights and water pump?

Nice job on the boxes and at $25 it was even a good score.

Thanks sharpie, There was a big tornado back in 2002 that wiped it out. For power....I am just using a garden tractor battery until I can afford a deep cycle battery. It ran 28 Leds and my flojet pump for 4 days with no problems. I have lights in the kitchen....one set in each toolbox and then two big sets in the cargo area it made it so nice to find stuff at night.

mizzle415

Observer
Great looking trailer you've built there.
You're the first I've seen with a family of 4 in an RTT. I'm trying to steer my family in this direction as we've been building up a camping trailer too. Just wasn't sure how it would sleep all of us. My wife and two young boys already love to camp, would just like your thoughts on how the RTT was with all of you. I definitely understand the "work" aspect of camping with kids, but the more you can streamline camp setup, the less "work" right?

Yes camping wit kids can be a challenge.....as they get older it seems to become easier. I am very thankful, however to have our trailer and RTT because I have camped more this summer than ever. I used to camp all the time before I was married....then we camped here and there when we first got married................then we had our first child. Camping stopped. Once he turned 3 I started taking him on overnight trips.....(mom stayed home) Then came my daughter....all camping activities ceased. haha. Now my son is 5 and my daughter is 2.5 and we are camping more than ever. And I credit that to the RTT with the mattress and the furnace I made. It has been fun. We are leaving in weeks to go on our first camping trip without kids....ever, well since before my son was born. We are so excited!!! Here are a few pictures from our recent trip. I also convinced my parents to buy a pop-up so they can camp with us when we go to campgrounds. Its handy having great grandparents at the site next-door when you need a little break. As far as sleeping 4 in a RTT. My kids are small so its not too bad. When They get significantly bigger we will probably have them tent on the ground and mommy and daddy will be in the RTT. Right now my wife and I and our 2 year old sleep long ways and my son sleeps the other way across the other end of the tent. We have tried a few other ways and this works for us.

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
Basically grew up in WESP during the summers as a child...beautiful view overlooking the Loyalsock...used to also scuba dive in Eagles Mere Lake...some of the clearest water I've ever seen.

and another BTW...graduated from Penn College(back in 77'...but back then it was called WACC)

the old saying around the west end of of Billtown (Newberry) where I grew up ..."If you can't hack, WACC it"

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior