2014 Xterra purchase?

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
For some reason the Xterra just popped on my radar. I'm looking at a new 2014 S package... for $27k this seems like a lot of truck. I like how it rides and drives, there seems to be good aftermarket support. What am I missing? Why does everyone love the 4runner but the Xterra doesn't get the same respect? From what I have seen so far the little Nissan is everything that a 4runner is and about $10k less. I truly feel like there must be a reason these aren't much more popular? Is it just a Toyota "prestige" thing?

Allof75

Pathfinder
There's no reason, Nissan is just the Rodney Dangerfield of the Big 3 Japanese auto makers- no respect. :sombrero: They're excellent trucks, and do offer much of what the 4Runner has for a lower price. Good aftermarket, nice motor, great capability, and that cheaper price. I say, go for it!

Weekender41

Ready to Learn
You are going to get some die-hard Toyota fans coming over here saying the 4runner is better because of Toyota. Honestly many Nissan owners will tell you they picked their Nissan for the same reason you mentioned. One member priced them out and found a near-completely decked out Xterra will run about as much as the base 4Runner (I haven't run the numbers so I cant say how correct that is). The aftermarket is good, I don't believe as well developed as Toyota but still quite good. Also, I would check the interior sizes between the two. I can not say for certain but I believe the 4Runner's have larger interiors. I'm not sure what Ryan is talking about, the Xterras are made in Tennessee. Anyways many Nissan owners will talk about the reliability of this manufacturer rivaling that of Toyota. It comes down to price and comfort. At the end of the day, whatever trips your trigger fastest and makes the wallet happy will be a winner.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
They aren't the same truck, they are Japanese and similar size.

Can you explain? I like them both. My only experience with either brand is that my first car was a 91 Toyota pickup. They seem similar in the sense that they are both the only full frame, solid rear axle SUVs under $35k (save the Wrangler which doesn't interest me).

I have driven two late model Nissans lately, one Altima rental car with 50k on it and one Armada with 70k on it- I was amazed how quiet and tight they both drove. If the odometer was taped over I would have told you they both had way less than half the miles. This impression is what got me to go look at the Xterra in the first place.

poriggity

Explorer
I too have always liked the xterra. If I was in the market for a new right, xterra would be toward the top of the list. For the price, IMHO, it's hard to beat.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Pabloa3

i have an xterra off road. im very happy with it. good off road capability, good following...check out thenewx.org. it does have a smallish cabin and cargo space....gas mileage isnt great either. it is very reliable and fun to drive. im in the middle of modding mine and am happy with the options available. i also tow my teardrop with it...great combo

nasko

Adventurer
The X is not a Toyota, but that does not make it worse. In my own opinion the only clear advantage of Toyota is the easier sell when/if that time comes. My friend has a 2008 4Runner and I got a 2005 Xterra, both more or less the same mileage. In my opinion they are both quality vehicles that have been reliable. IMO the 4 L engine that Nissan has is better (more power, more reliable) than the 4 L Toyota uses in that generation of 4Runners. Do not have any experience with the new/current 4 L Toyota engine. The interior in the new 4Runner seems a bit nicer but not $10 000 nicer. It is funny how snobbish most Toyota owners are when they talk about other vehicles. Good luck in your search for a truck, I do think you will enjoy it if you go the Nissan route.

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
The X is not a Toyota, but that does not make it worse....

I just read my post, I didn't mean to sound smug, although I just reread it, and I did.

I was just trying to say what Nasko did here in the beginning of his post. They are just different trucks and they cost a different amount. I say pick what you like most and caries the most personal value. Lots of people run 4runners, that's the vote they made with the dollars, lots of people run Xterras, that was their vote.

I personally recommend 4runners because mine has been very good to me. 8 years, 100k no problems and I can eek out 20 MPG :) I'm sure there are equally awesome Xterras.

Allof75

Pathfinder
Can you explain? I like them both. My only experience with either brand is that my first car was a 91 Toyota pickup. They seem similar in the sense that they are both the only full frame, solid rear axle SUVs under $35k (save the Wrangler which doesn't interest me).

I have driven two late model Nissans lately, one Altima rental car with 50k on it and one Armada with 70k on it- I was amazed how quiet and tight they both drove. If the odometer was taped over I would have told you they both had way less than half the miles. This impression is what got me to go look at the Xterra in the first place.

They are both very nice vehicles, though as others have said, the 4runner has a more luxurious interior, but not $10k nicer. The 'Runner has ATRAC, and the sway bar decoupler available, as well as terrain control, hill descent control, and a rear locker, but all of those only in the $40k+ Trail Edition I believe. The Xterra has traction control, hill descent control, and a rear locker. I view it as a modern of the Jeep XJ or WD21 Pathfinder/hardbody- simple but very effective. Whereas the 4runner is more of a luxurious off roader, more along the lines of a WJ or R50 pathfinder.

Ghost65

Allergic to Pavement
Toyota = huge off road/overland/4x4 after market

Nissan = niche/boutique/one off after market

Having owned 6 Toyotas (Hi Lux p/u's and 4-Runners) I purchased my first Nissan Xterra in December of 2009. I test drove an FJ Cruiser, Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 4-Runner, and two first generation (pre/and 2004) Xterras...and I bought my 2005 shortly thereafter.

Price was considerably lower, and I really liked the power of the 4.0 litre V6 compared to others, as well as the (for me) utilitarian interior and features (lots of 12V power sources, center console, rear cargo area, as well as cargo area tie down locations).

Since owning it I have done well over $15K in modifications getting it to its current state...but personally I enjoy looking like not every other vehicle on the trail. And one of the most oft heard comments is..."How'd you get that Nissan all the way out here?"

If you can afford it, GET THE Pro4X model. You won't regret having the rear locker factory installed, the 3.36 gearing, as well as a host of upgraded interior features.

Don't buy the Xterra if mileage or commuting is an issue. They are not fuel thrifty vehicles...and once the mods begin, it only gets better. ;)

Pick your poison, and enjoy the ride!

Last edited:

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
It's done... I pick it up Saturday.

Roof tent and fridge waiting in the garage.

What's the best way to get a winch on this thing? I have a Warn 9.5ti that needs a home.

skibum315

Explorer
Options to mount a winch:
1) Replacement bumper (ARB, Shrockworks, HeftyFab, Calmini ... custom ... IMO, KMA/TAG/whatever else they may be calling themselves and Iron Bull aren't worth the hassle; that's just based on what I have seen of their customer service to folks on The New X forum who tried them)
2) Stock bumper winch mount (RockyMtnX, a user on The New X forum, makes these to order, or you can make your own if you fab ... Surf and Snow, another TNX user, did for his)
3) Front mount receiver and removable receiver winch cradle ... IMO, not worth the reduction in ground clearance & approach angle; though you could have a custom front receiver mount made to replace the stock internal bumper. But, at that point, why not just do number 2? Though this option does give you the ability to put the winch in the back if you need to, or to leave it at home if you don't want to cart it around on your DD ...

Congrats on the purchase!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior