Is there a 3-4 man, 3-season tent with windows can be zipped fully shut <$300

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Those are typically called convertible tents and they're not quite as popular as they once were. I'd second the suggestion to look through the Eureka offering. The biggest challenge, and a very important consideration, is getting a tent of that size with aluminum poles for that price. Fiberglass poles are awful and a terrible value given they will most likely break long before the tent gives up.

Geodoc

Adventurer
We bought a Coleman 4-6 person 3 season tent a couple of years ago in Idaho for less than $200, but I would not recommend doing so. The rainfly acted as a rain sieve (we got completely soaked one night in Olympic National Park - luckily we were able to get a waterproof tarp the next day, but boy did that make for a long, wet, uncomfortable night).

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
I have a 6-man Coleman Instant Tent that comes close to your description, however...

Pros: Large windows that can be zipped fully closed, tall interior space, easy set up, low price, rain fly material works well so far, low price (mine was less than $200 on sale).

Cons: Needs extra water-proofing (at least mine did), tall profile takes a beating in high winds, rain fly is too short on the sides for heavy sideways rain, not that small when packed, and the low price is reflected in the overall quality.

If you're getting out 3-4 times a year in a temperate climate it's just fine. If you're camping once a month or at higher elevations I'd invest in a higher-quality, higher-$$ tent. The payoff is longer service with less compromise. :beer:

IMAG0307_zpsce254dc6.jpg~original

off-roader

Expedition Leader
I would think Eureka has some decent ones in your price range.
I'll check them out. My current tent is a Northface 2 man backpacking tent (very light but also very small with just enough room for 2 people). Plus it can't be zippered closed. There have been a few times now where I've camped and due to the winds and the filtering effect of the screen mesh, I've ended up with bedding completely doused in super find sand/dirt!

Those are typically called convertible tents and they're not quite as popular as they once were. I'd second the suggestion to look through the Eureka offering. The biggest challenge, and a very important consideration, is getting a tent of that size with aluminum poles for that price. Fiberglass poles are awful and a terrible value given they will most likely break long before the tent gives up.
Thanks. Never heard of that term for a tent before. Will definitely help me in my search. Yes, definitely want aluminum poles and thicker stronger ones preferably.

We bought a Coleman 4-6 person 3 season tent a couple of years ago in Idaho for less than $200, but I would not recommend doing so. The rainfly acted as a rain sieve (we got completely soaked one night in Olympic National Park - luckily we were able to get a waterproof tarp the next day, but boy did that make for a long, wet, uncomfortable night).
I've looked at the coleman's before. Never realized they weren't waterproofed. That could be problematic.

I have a 6-man Coleman Instant Tent that comes close to your description, however...

Pros: Large windows that can be zipped fully closed, tall interior space, easy set up, low price, rain fly material works well so far, low price (mine was less than $200 on sale).

Cons: Needs extra water-proofing (at least mine did), tall profile takes a beating in high winds, rain fly is too short on the sides for heavy sideways rain, not that small when packed, and the low price is reflected in the overall quality.

If you're getting out 3-4 times a year in a temperate climate it's just fine. If you're camping once a month or at higher elevations I'd invest in a higher-quality, higher-$$ tent. The payoff is longer service with less compromise. :beer:
I'm currently out 3-4 times per year but want to see if I can increase that so yes, something higher quality would be better. My northface has lasted me well over a decade now so perhaps a bit more in the budget is called for.

I should note that I'm looking more at a dome tent (2-3 poles) versus a traditional square tent with 4 poles, etc.) and I'm seeing that nearly EVERY design incorporates vast swaths of mesh screen w/out any way to zip them closed.

Also, I could stretch the budget upwards to say $400 if nothing exists in the <200 range but I'm probably not interested in a $500 3 man tent unless there was some major compelling reason to go to that price.

Last edited:

Triumphdog

Adventurer
Have your tried your local REI garage sale. I go to every garage sale looking for deals that can't be had anywhere else. I bought my last 4 man tent for $120, retail was over $400. The only issue with the tent was a broken pole. I had the pole replace for free through REI. You can find some fantastic deals on barely used gear. Hell, some of the stuff looks brand new and never used.

The_Dude

Adventurer
I got a Kodiak canvas 10x10 tent of CL for 340. Used twice. Super awesome tent.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

FWIW, the awful, terrible fiberglass poles on our Eureka Dome tent lasted for 20 years without problems, outlasting both the tent entrance zipper and the floor seam, which delaminated.

That said, I do prefer aluminum poles as well. But I've seen plenty of busted aluminum poles too. I suspect that most pole damage, regardless of material, is from operator error.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
I called REI and they told me either some of the traditional square tents with a plethora of poles or the $1000 mountaineering tents used to ascend Everest or KT22. That said after a lot of looking on line at various manufacturers and retailers, I'll probably go with an REI InCamp 4 tent. At $259 it has better than average seal-ability and its design includes a built in awning and the tent's design allows it to work with a variety of other accessories from this InCamp line. I'll update this with my thoughts on it after a few uses.

Last edited:

otis24

Observer
My Black Diamond HiLite has windows that can be closed off. It's a mountaineering tent. I think it was about $600 with an optional vestibule. 100 mph wind with blowing snow-no problem!

Ramjet

Explorer
Check the for sale section on the portal. I have my Campmor tent up for sale. You can't beat it as far as comfort goes. It's for sale for $725. Which is a good deal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne