My 84 K10 Longbed build

jtpaintball70

Adventurer
I just picked up an 84 Chevy K10 today. Single cab, long bed. Not too bad of shape. Gotta get it tuned a little, as it's running really rich. 4x4 works fine and it's got a 454 under the hood. Biggest things on my list are getting the window motors replaced, getting a new windshield and drivers wing window, and getting the headlight switch replaced (will probably do that today). I'll post more pictures in a bit. Oh, and it's a dual tank pickup (saddle tanks)
I want this to be a capable offroader on mild trails and can get me out to remote photo shoot sites and camping areas.
999949_574992898561_1139821885_n_zpsd0f71e91.jpg

Been searching online all night at work and coming up with a rough list of items to be completed for my project

1) 2.5" Pro-comp lift kit
2) 33" Firestone Destination MT style tires (soemthing good for all around, non-hardcore use)
3)Interior work (new face for the dash, new dash cover, maybe new seats)
4) Camper shell (or canvas collapsible shell)
5) some type of drawer setup, either homemade wood or a Tuffy setup
6) OBA
7) Some type of inverter setup
8) Lockers (lunchbox front , selectible rear)
9) Custom front and rear bumpers w/ some lighting to the rear and lights and winch to the front

That's about all I can think of for now... Suggestions always welcome.

My biggest problem right now is figuring out why the headlights aren't working.

surlydiesel

Adventurer
I would do Selectable Front locker with a Limited Slip or Selectable rear. That way when you drive in the snow, you won't have your front lock up on you in a crappy situation. Unless you don't drive in snow, than I take back my advice.

Cool Truck! I have a great affinity for the simple machines now.

jtpaintball70

Adventurer
Finally got around to taking some more pictures before I went to work

Interior from Driver side

The rats nest of a wiring I have under the dash

Well... my head lights don't work, I wonder why? New switch didn't work either

American Racing wheels all around

Manual hubs up front

Head on view

Passenger side interior

Headache rack I'm gonna be taking off shortly

And the back. No tailgate yet

454 under the hood

Last edited:

jtpaintball70

Adventurer
Always love to see another old truck build. Looking forward to your updates.

Thank you! It's really gonna be a slow build with just some basic maintenance being first up... Although if I score some deals on craigslist... lol.

And the more I think about it, the more tempting it is to swap the Quadrajet over to a TBI setup from a newer 454

rayra

Expedition Leader
I've got an '85 2-wheel drive, nearly twin of yours right down to the bent bumper. Not quite as gloriously shabby though. But I haven't got a straight body panel on it.

re the inverter idea, the driver front corner of the engine compartment already has the bolt holes / nuts for a second battery tray (diesel option), you can get the tray and cabling from LMC or a junk yard, and readily mount a second heavy duty battery for your inverter setup. With an isolator and upgraded alternator you can charge it up in normal driving and run all your accessory stuff and inverter without draining your main battery, and even self-jump if you have to.

Looks like you have the dual tanks as well. I've been alternating tank by tank for 28yrs and mine are still going strong. I got caught with empty tanks by the Northridge earthquake 20yrs ago (was two blocks from the apartment collapses that produced most of the body count for that), and I've kept one full at all times ever since. 360k mi and I only had to replace the dash tank switch last year. That was also an LMC Trucks part, despite it being a GM pickup, the dealers around here don't carry much in the way of parts for these old trucks anymore.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Sweet :Wow1:looking old truck Paintball. I drive a 78 myself so I know it can be difficult to find parts for our old rigs. My truck was one step away from the junkyard when I got it and I have being doing maintenace and upgrades for the last 10 years. You have the 454 which is a major workhorse and great engine. If you do want to change over from carb to tbi then ask Larry here on the forums about that. He is our GM guru and can give you all the info you need to know. Congrats on geting a nice old GM truck and lets see some updates and pics as you make improvements along the way. Cheers, Chilli...:)

jtpaintball70

Adventurer
I've got an '85 2-wheel drive, nearly twin of yours right down to the bent bumper. Not quite as gloriously shabby though. But I haven't got a straight body panel on it.

re the inverter idea, the driver front corner of the engine compartment already has the bolt holes / nuts for a second battery tray (diesel option), you can get the tray and cabling from LMC or a junk yard, and readily mount a second heavy duty battery for your inverter setup. With an isolator and upgraded alternator you can charge it up in normal driving and run all your accessory stuff and inverter without draining your main battery, and even self-jump if you have to.

Looks like you have the dual tanks as well. I've been alternating tank by tank for 28yrs and mine are still going strong. I got caught with empty tanks by the Northridge earthquake 20yrs ago (was two blocks from the apartment collapses that produced most of the body count for that), and I've kept one full at all times ever since. 360k mi and I only had to replace the dash tank switch last year. That was also an LMC Trucks part, despite it being a GM pickup, the dealers around here don't carry much in the way of parts for these old trucks anymore.

Thanks for teh idea for the factory-ish dual battery setup! I might try to work that in. And yep, I have dual tanks. Been filling one at a time and keeping the second empty until I get enough cash to fill both at once. I like the extra endurance of having some gas in both tanks though.

Sweet :Wow1:looking old truck Paintball. I drive a 78 myself so I know it can be difficult to find parts for our old rigs. My truck was one step away from the junkyard when I got it and I have being doing maintenace and upgrades for the last 10 years. You have the 454 which is a major workhorse and great engine. If you do want to change over from carb to tbi then ask Larry here on the forums about that. He is our GM guru and can give you all the info you need to know. Congrats on geting a nice old GM truck and lets see some updates and pics as you make improvements along the way. Cheers, Chilli...:)
Thank you! and yea, I'm finding out that aftermarket isn't quite as heavy as it was when I drove a TJ or CJ7. But I love this truck. I'm having a blast! I'll be posting pictures. For now a lot of little fixes and sketches of stuff like the platform I want to build. Time to slowly build up some money :)

jtpaintball70

Adventurer
Has anyone heard of adding something like a ford remote starter solenoid to the firewall in the wiring pattern to the starter to help boost amperage to the starter? I just got a new battery and still at times have issues with the starter just clicking. I am tempted to try it as a bandaid fix until I can get the alt and starter both replaced.

joescott

I have added a ford starter solenoid before. A suburban I had shorted the live wires going to the starter. Since then I have been "shy" about having a heavy duty "live" wire way down their near the heat of the exhaust and water from the road. It worked well. I do not think it helped with current draw tho.

jtpaintball70

Adventurer
Pulled off the grill...
20140316_164604_zpsa5dlj1fe.jpg

That's a messed up transmission cooler. Something else to add to the list
20140316_164610_zpsktpvazwu.jpg

Looks like this had the original bumper turn signals... That they spliced into the new ones they put on metal plate
20140316_164622_zpsp67baauq.jpg

And the front as it stands now

Looks like I'm gonna completely redo all the lighting wiring on the front side of the firewall...

Last edited:

jtpaintball70

Adventurer
Tore into the electrical a bit, mainly trying to get my lights fixed, plus replaced the headlight switch.

Does anyone know what this is for?

And in the end, there was light :)

jtpaintball70

Adventurer
And my headlights now only work when I'm accelerating, so I still have a loose wire. Need to get that fixed becasue I start a new job 5.5 hours away friday morning.
Also need to do whatever I can to squeeze MPG out of that ginormous motor. Already put a new air filter on it, replacing plugs tomorrow morning.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke