Now that the front spoiler is off, what do I do?

James86004

Expedition Leader
We have a 2006 Silverado that we finally decided to take the front spoiler off. Helps a ton with the approach angle, and we still get 16 mpg on the freeway pulling our tent trailer. I don't want to put it back on. The only trouble is, it looks pretty stupid that way. Is there a short trim piece I can add, or should I just cut all but a couple of inches off the spoiler?

Bella PSD

Explorer
Good for you. I tore mine off my Super Duty soon after I bought it. Lucky for me the Fords looked fine with it removed. Soon after the spoiler came off I just went and got an after-market bumper. So I guess have nothing to add but glad you have the approach..... There are lots of Chevy/GMC owner here that can help.

Louie

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
I take it that your bumper has those hangy-down parts at the outer edges? My friend Rod had the bumper modified to be flat across the bottom, and then re-chromed.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Got a picture, I'm having trouble picturing what these trucks look like without the chin on them. I did the same thing to the runner after the first time I too it out. I never mucked it up, but I was affraid I was going to.

Without Pics, I'd guess as a new truck there might be some fluid resevoirs? tranny cooler junk hanging down? How about an ARB or TJM for it. that would look sweet.

Cheers

Dave

James86004

Expedition Leader
Here is a photo. I will definitely take the plastic cups surrounding the tow hooks off. Maybe paint the little chrome tabs and bolts black. It will probably still look like something is missing.

I think if an aluminum skid plate is added along the center section you should have the majority of it covered up. And a pre-runner style light bar or tubular lower bumper can finish it off.

Salep12547n1.jpg

Salep12697n1.jpg

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Yeah, I agree, but personaly I think a thin strip horizontaly to hide the mounting bolts and then tie that into a pre-runner style front skid like the first pic above. And personaly, I think it would look sweet powder coated black as well.

Cheers

Dave

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
The parts my friend had removed are at the outer ends where they end in the wheel well. The bottom of the bumper was flat all the way around. That way it didn't look like something was missing.

ntsqd said:
The parts my friend had removed are at the outer ends where they end in the wheel well. The bottom of the bumper was flat all the way around. That way it didn't look like something was missing.

This may be true for 99-02 Chevys and GMCs, the newer 03+ ones have different bumper mounting locations making it seem out of place without a plastic lower bumper.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
From the looks of the pics above the same mod + blackening those tabs across the front would achieve the same appearance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles