Ripper's Adventuremobile: 2005 Xterra

jhberria

Adventurer
Sounds like you're taking the Funvee to a whole new level. Still planning on making a trip out west this summer?

gophere

Adventurer
Remote reservoir? Sick!!
Those 2.5s are going to eat up the bumps.
Are you getting any coil bucket contact with the set up you have now?
I'm going to be going with the ultimate with ucas from nistec in the next couple weeks. Alcans too.

richard310

pew pew
That's quite the update list! And they all look well thought out. Looking forward to the progress.

You mentioned you are minus a front swsy bar. How are the road manners without it? Although I do daily drive my rig, I'm debating whether or not to remove it for trip outings or do a disconnect.

Ripper

Adventurer
Still planning on making a trip out west this summer?

Yes I am planning on it. I think I may have to push the dates back. But that may work out better in the long run.

Are you getting any coil bucket contact with the set up you have now?

I am not.

That's quite the update list! And they all look well thought out.

You mentioned you are minus a front sway bar. How are the road manners without it? Although I do daily drive my rig, I'm debating whether or not to remove it for trip outings or do a disconnect.

A lot of time was spent talking with Greg at PRG and a ton of research on my out when it came to this set up. I have not had the sway bar for about five years. I commute 70 miles round trip pretty much daily and I drive it like its a trophy truck. It has more body roll but nothing out of control.

richard310

pew pew
A lot of time was spent talking with Greg at PRG and a ton of research on my out when it came to this set up. I have not had the sway bar for about five years. I commute 70 miles round trip pretty much daily and I drive it like its a trophy truck. It has more body roll but nothing out of control.

I'm sure Greg knows his stuff. I've read that from others' experience, running no front anti roll bar can have adverse effects on the ball joints and CV joints as well. Although I've also heard that with the heavier rate springs and suspension up front, can help minimize the effects without the roll bar. Just wondering if you've noticed any increased wear in the joints is all. 5 years and a 70mile commute is quite a distance!

Ripper

Adventurer
That commute has only been the last two years. I havent noticed any increase in wear when it comes to the joints. The uniballs in the PRG uppers only last about two years, and the lowers seem to be ok. I am replacing the lowers cause Im pretty confident that the cam bolts are seized, I was impatient and didnt antiseeze them, and the lower shock mount bolts are seized. All of that will have to be cut off, so new LCAs it its!

Ripper

Adventurer
So a little time has passed since I have updated this thing and talked about my build. I finally go my shocks from Radflo and the other items I was waiting for. Install went relatively problem free. Just the normal issues. Seized bolts etc etc. Unfortunately I broke my foot the day after I wrapped up the install and it destroyed my plans. Im finally in a walking boot and can now drive with relative ease. Ive only been out in the woods once and on some easy stuff. The quality of the new set up is unbelievable. Smooth on road and supple off road. I just need to get the locker installed and I will be unstopable. Here are a few pics of the suspension. I dont have any of the rear. I mean its your standard leaf spring set up with a u bolt flip kit. I can post pics if you want.

Coilovers

Everything laid out

Here is the front all buttoned and welded up

Some random pics from this year. Up to the point I got hurt. Havent been out at all.

Ripper

Adventurer
What awning did you go with? I'm looking for a small one like that that won't take up the entire length on my vehicle. Thanks

I went with the 1.4x2.0 meter Ironman. I personally like the Ironman because the of the LED strip. No one else offers that

Nice. 1.4 is perfect for my roof rack. Couldn't go beyond 1.5 as I don't want it to stick out past it. Thanks for that I'll be looking into that one. I love all things LED :)

Ripper

Adventurer
The LED honestly is the icing on the cake. The first time I used it was a weekend camp trip and it rained the first two days. It was great to be able to sit under the awning and relax, listening to the rain hit the awning and reading a book. I actually fell asleep in my camp chair.

I've searched quite a bit online for these. Aside from a few FJ sites that only ship to the states I have not found a distributor that ships to canada. Any ideas? I really want one of these!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior