Pleasure Way/RoadTrek 4x4 RV

hurstjd

Adventurer
Hello,

Quick question to the community. Why don't you see Pleasure Way/RoadTreks used as expedition vehicles? I've seen a couple of bad-*** one's that have had 4x4 conversions done by Advanced 4x4 in SLC.

I realize that they are bigger than the average expedition vehicle.

Are there other reasons these are a bad idea? One of the one's I saw was a Pleasure Way Excel TS with the V10. It had a 4" lift and 4x4 conversion.

The reason I am asking is that these are all-in-one. You have your bed, bathroom, kitchen, etc. They just seem to be a natural fit for expedition traveling.

What am I missing?

thedjjack

Dream it build it
I had a 1983 Roadtrek once it was awesome layout....

make sure you get a 1 ton chassis as the 3/4 was to light...

I have only seen Roadtrek with GM and Dodge as the van.... so little more effort to 4x4 and no factory diesel.... but GM makes a nice gas motor.

The skirts, propane tank, holding tanks sure dragged fast on forest roads with mine...

hurstjd

Adventurer
I thought they would be too expensive as well. I've done some research on this. You can get a 2004-2005 Pleasure way from the low 30's to mid-40's and then the 4x4 conversion from Advanced 4x4 is about 10,000-12,000. That puts you under $60,000. I've seen a ton of those SportsMobiles and most of them are north of $60,000.

Also, Pleasure-Ways and RoadTreks in this year range don't have a ton of miles. I just saw one the other day with only 43,000 miles for $31,000.

I spoke to Advanced 4x4. They said to stick with Ford or Chevy. The Ford's are the easiest conversion.

I understand what you are saying about construction. Maybe, I'm missing something but the Ford in the end is just an E350 Van. I do understand that it has all of the additional fiberglass on it that may cause a problem.

Maybe I'm looking at things differently as we are looking at going for 4-6 months at a time, not just for a weekend trip.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Check the 4x4 camper van section below, there are a couple of RoadTreks and or Pleasure Ways in there, and several other vehicles of similar nature.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

lqhikers

Adventurer
"image"

as a old guy who has had a lot of different rigs
my answer to your question is "image"most people
want to fit into what others feel is the correct vehicle
who could possibly go into the back country,forrest road
Third world country with out a fully "blinged" out vehicle?

yet do a little research and you will find that it is not the rig,but
the desire of the person to explore and enjoy with out worrying
as to having the correct vehicle.

as far as your idea on road treks etc i agree with you as any of them
could be re configured to perform in most "expedition" trips.

just my thoughts yours may vary.

Les,lqhikers

java

Expedition Leader
its not the vehicle construction per say, its the RV parts. They just rattle to death....

that being said, yes I love my 4x4 RV, definately not really rough road or trail capable, but sure makes winter camping nice.

12595237565_3042c9869f_c.jpg

lqhikers

Adventurer
Java,looks like you picked the truck/comb that works for you.
did you build it,or have it built on your 4x4?

i agree with you on cheap builds in rv's and from talking
to people with sports mobile's and looking at them in person
(did this before i ordered our custom tiger 4x4 by provan)
i found very basic build,chip board,cheap hangers,hinges,poor
wiring detail,etc.

i know you can find something wrong with most rigs,but when you pay
north of $100,000 for a "expedition" it should be close to perfect in quality.

just my thoughts yours may vary.

Les,lqhikers

Last edited:

java

Expedition Leader
I found it already converted. Ordered by the local county SAR as their comm van. I actually volunteered for them years ago. Happened across it after it had been auctioned off due to water damage.

Its probably going to be my winter only rig. Great for winter camping and ski trips, but its a gas hog, and my small truck and RTT are great in the summer. But its perfect for us in the winter.

GHI

Adventurer
I took my wife tent camping in the Porcupine Mountains in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. She was not a fan of the tent. I shopped for the better part of 6 years before I finally found a Pleasureway Chevy Lexor model I wanted. Bought it brand new, fits in the driveway and can tow my Polaris RZR and other toys. I rented a car and drove to Pennsylvania to pick it up. On the way home I thought it would be neat to try backing into a parking spot at the rest area. I got out to look at my parking job and found I had about an 1/8th of an inch clearance with the parking block and my generator exhaust. Wouldn't that have been a real kick in the butt to have ripped that off in my first couple hundred miles.

I took my wife and 6 month old son on a cross country trip from Michigan to California this past summer. We hit all the major National Parks and tourist spots. We stayed in rest areas, campgrounds, state parks, neighbors driveways and National Forests with all the comforts of a home.

I drove about 1.5 miles into a National Forest out west to find a camp spot. I have read so many awesome trip reports here and was too proud and excited not to at least give it a shot. It was scary rocking back and forth with the high COG and extreme minimum ground clearance. We had the best time ever in our "remote" spot. However, the morning brought a bit of rain and mud and why didn't i just get the Sportsmobile or Tiger.

I enjoyed the trip so much I quit my job so I could travel and hang out with my son. Here is where I finally answer your post. I spent a ton of money on this van and no longer have a job so I'm trying to be careful in how I spend. I know I will eventually take it somewhere to at least get a couple inches of lift. Then again who am I kidding. I'll probably go for the whole 4x4 system.

I followed Photogs posts about various things he did to his Roadtrek, but quite frankly I don't have any skills when it comes to tinkering on vehicles and I can't be doing trial and error at this point.

I'm new to contributing to forum discussions so excuse any etiquette issues.

hurstjd

Adventurer
I agree with you about image. However, you have to admit this looks pretty cool and you can do this for less than $60,000.

van.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne