Bagelsjustbagels's Build Thread

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
I never thought about hearing damage but youre right. that is my weekend project now. ive gotta save my damn ears. Any idea on where to get closed cell foam? I tried to find alternatives to dynamat but I'm not having much luck.
Just ordered this from the floor to start within.

This stuff is made by the same company as the Rattle Trap. I may eventually buy a bunch to quiet down my diesel.
http://www.fatmat.com/shop/fatmat-floor-liner-6598
You are gonna need to cover that Rattle Trap with something though, as the aluminum backing will tear if disturbed too much. And... It kinda stinks like asphalt.

Last edited:

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
Just bought 35 square feet of Fatmat 80mil thickness, so we'll see how it goes.

If the weather is cool, use a heat gun to help relax the FatMat as you roll it down. Be careful not to overheat it, or the asphalt/rubber will begin to flow. Prep is super important. Make sure the surface is free of any oil, grease or dirt. Wear gloves too. The aluminum backing will slice you up and stain your hands dark grey. Oh, and have fun! Don't forget the pics...

Fatmat installed in the rear, I can now have conversations with people in the rear seats while on the freeway! :wings: :)
Lol, but really. It made a HUGE difference and I cannot wait to install it on the front of the vehicle. took about 3 hours.
pkx8IRa.png

hLgFoh0.png

B7s6DEU.png

Rotated the Tent over the rear, I like it this way much better now, provides top coverage.

Went camping in Memorial Park in La Honda, CA it was a good time, great site for just being 40 minutes away from home.

idh9x1Y.jpg

xfffpJp.jpg

Planning a day expedition through the high sierras, From Nevada City, to Washington, to Lake Bowman. Prerunning it quickly to see if the route is doable to more stock vehicles for possible summer camping!

Here is the planned route thus far.

uCNEaEj.png

kNxgUMp.png

Clay

Adventurer
You'll be driving right through my little town, if you need any advice shoot me a PM and I'll give you all the info you could ever want. Your path on that route up chalk bluff is going to be a bit muddy for the next couple weeks but very passable by your 4x4. The route up to bowman is mostly clear at this point, but there are a few snow drifts that were a challenge a week ago. Snow is melting fast right now. If you go down Pinoli Ridge road you'll find a drift a couple miles down that'll make you pucker as you go over. The graniteville road to bowman is a better path right now.

Nice 4runner by the way!

Last edited:
You'll be driving right through my little town, if you need any advice shoot me a PM and I'll give you all the info you could ever want. Your path on that route up chalk bluff is going to be a bit muddy for the next couple weeks but very passable by your 4x4. The route up to bowman is mostly clear at this point, but there are a few snow drifts that were a challenge a week ago. Snow is melting fast right now. If you go down Pinoli Ridge road you'll find a drift a couple miles down that'll make you pucker as you go over. The graniteville road to bowman is a better path right now.

Nice 4runner by the way!

Thank you for the info and compliments. I'll be sure to contact you or hell maybe even see if you'd like to join us on our 1 day prerunning expedition coming up.

Nice set up. If you plan anything in the Central Sierra's let us know; even as an overnight stopping point.

Looks like Sean found me. haha, thanks! it was good seeing you and the whole gang. Maybe we can find a way to get you into some high sierra camping. I'll keep in touch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke