Bagelsjustbagels's Build Thread

Hey Guys, Name is Adam
Long time lurker. First post. and its a big one. :D

images fixed :)
I've been here for about 6 months, and it's been a huge help. Now that I'm finally out of college and in a real job- I have the time and ability to post and be an active member of the community. So here's a little picturebook of my truck and then i'll keep updating as it progresses!
Also, I'm located in SF Peninsula....so if anyone ever wants to meetup. Let me know!
:clap2:

picked the truck up for $5200, 343k miles on the chassis, 110k on the motor. Went from a Mercedes AMG to this, so its been a change but i love it. Everything is SO CHEAP!

1990 4Runner 3vze with 5 Speed and 4x4. aka 3.slow

It has manual locking Hubs
Total Chaos LT kit with fox coilover dual bypass suspension in front and back
Chevy leaf springs in rear to support the weight of all my camping crap.
T100 axle swap
4.88 gearing
Rear mechanical locker

EC5CCOr.png

First set of issues came from this MAF and the whole intake really.
Looks like the PO had opened it up fixed it and then resealed it, but it started giving me troubles the first time I took it offroading. It kept dying, wouldnt hold an idle, even when flooring it. Damn sensors

yscre1I.png

Got a new one! $100+ though.

zO7dRv9.png

Then had an easy bracket fab'd just to hold the damn k&n intake in place (oem mounts are no longer existent thanks to the space needed for the shock hoops.

HXcvxno.png

Next up, Trunk looked like crap, had some sticky tar stuff, and was louder than all hell.
Decided to Lay down some bedliner and clean it all up.
Mea0jDD.png

cZDyZbs.png

This still wasnt too nice to put anything or value on, and was still plenty loud when trying to move things.
Went to Bob's Foam Factory in Fremont,CA who was a HUGE help.
For $120 he did 1.25' thick Poly foam that is puncture resistant, waterproof, and all that good stuff.
He lined it all up with a paper template and cut it out using a giant bandsaw.
he even cut the pieces needed for the back of my seats that I later attached with industrial strength velcro
Helped with the sound issue (not a lot but noticeable). But makes it nice and comfy to be int he back, my future dogs will like it, it protects my gear, and it keeps things from bouncing around loudly in the back on a day to day basis, and i can remove it with one hand hose it off and put it back in with no problems for easy cleanup.

JCJgdFT.png

zpO3fYK.png

J7O39ox.png

Relaxing in the back.
UEzEJXb.png

Now how about that interior....yuck!
y2wT9Yr.png

Installed a very nice DoubleDin stereo with GPS bluetooth connectivity to phone two USB plug to ipod etc etc.
yAZgaXC.png

Decided to bedliner the inside too. This stuff is like tar so I had to use the spray on to get the really hard to reach places.
Before
Ee0rSHd.png

After-Much better
uHKcSqo.png

khE1SdH.png

Going Camping! Trying out all the stuff in the back for the first time.
KFJtO0I.png

A bridge in Auburn CA, and then Nevada City forest trails.
2c8CdMV.png

jMvgPFd.png

6En0tfD.png

Found a Stock one!
vFUhrQ1.png

Putting around La Grange OHV
EEq9SrA.png

oh look a penny!
sNTFFHi.png

Found some mud. need to get wiper sprayers or something rigged up.
FIPkTdJ.png

j6S3hDe.png

GCxEELf.png

nL8VS3E.png

Testing the Hella lights out, had some faulty wiring. two floods and one spot.
b4wUBmo.png

My latest addition, my Roof top tent from Tepui Tents. Ill be going to big sur soon to test it out, but thus far I love it. Need to upgrade my rack though.
a02DgSP.png

qqgFdVV.png

Went to Yosemite with the beast, but it was cold and valentines weekend so I didnt want to freeze the girlfriend. Still a great photo op!
eGhjnIB.png

Lastly, Always make sure you tighten and check your aftermarket suspension! i lost a nut on my Upper control arm. its a order only part from toyota! -_-
Fixed now though, but I cant imagine the trouble that would cause if I was offroading.
kBBioOs.png

Rock Lights installed. Bought leds waterproof 3 part segments from china for $3 a piece and installed 6 white and 2 red :D wired it to a switch, and bought 16 gauge speaker wire to run the 12v around the truck.

0uZzUjQ.jpg

LKy3MN9.jpg

frvTqSJ.jpg

And that is it until next time.

I plan on getting a low profile roof rack, rear tube bumper with swing arm for tire and some gas cans,an awning, and installing a power inverter.
So if anyone has any advice on a roof rack for this generation 4runner. it would be MUCH appreciated.

Last edited:

joneseyyy

Explorer
That's a kickass 4Runner. I want to see more long-travel expo builds. The purists be damned! I would seriously consider LT on my 5th gen if anyone made glass fenders for it...

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
Nice rig! I gotta imagine it is pretty loud with no carpet/floor covering. Good catch on the UCA nut. I'd invest in a gallon of blue Loctite if I owned your rig.

Nice rig! I gotta imagine it is pretty loud with no carpet/floor covering. Good catch on the UCA nut. I'd invest in a gallon of blue Loctite if I owned your rig.

Thank you. it is INSANELY loud. As in if I am yelling you can still barely hear me in the back seats. :( I am looking at a way right now to make it more quiet. I was thinking dynamat along the bottom. But on top of that bedliner it just seems like a waste to cover. also its expensive, if anyone has any suggestions on sound deadening that would be fantastic!

Also yes, need to buy more loctite

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
Thank you. it is INSANELY loud. As in if I am yelling you can still barely hear me in the back seats. :( I am looking at a way right now to make it more quiet. I was thinking dynamat along the bottom. But on top of that bedliner it just seems like a waste to cover. also its expensive, if anyone has any suggestions on sound deadening that would be fantastic!

Also yes, need to buy more loctite

I would start with something like this. http://www.jcwhitney.com/autocustom...50064y1990j1&gclid=CJ-gzpjrkb0CFUNhfgod5gUAPw

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
Dynamat is for resonance control. It does not stop airborne sound waves. I would use strips of dynamat or similar product to control sheet metal vibration, and then put carpeting or vinyl in that has a thick backing. If you are really serious about sound control, then put mass loaded vinyl with closed cell foam as a decoupler in between the dynamat and the carpet. Tons of info in the internet about it. Do it in steps if you are on a budget, but I would do something. It will ruin your hearing as it is now.

Dynamat is for resonance control. It does not stop airborne sound waves. I would use strips of dynamat or similar product to control sheet metal vibration, and then put carpeting or vinyl in that has a thick backing. If you are really serious about sound control, then put mass loaded vinyl with closed cell foam as a decoupler in between the dynamat and the carpet. Tons of info in the internet about it. Do it in steps if you are on a budget, but I would do something. It will ruin your hearing as it is now.

I never thought about hearing damage but youre right. that is my weekend project now. ive gotta save my damn ears. Any idea on where to get closed cell foam? I tried to find alternatives to dynamat but I'm not having much luck.
Just ordered this from the floor to start within.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles