Window screens...

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
This is a pretty cool concept. I don't have a whole lot of use for them, but I can see how they would be a good way to go in the SUVs, especially if you're sleeping in them. Trouble is my dogs would knock those right out at the first chipmunk or squirrel :D

rayra

Expedition Leader
use 1/4" thick pressboard, cut to substitute for the glass, fitting into the window seal groove itself and held up by the window. Leave a 1" wide boarder of pressboard, cut the rest out, or mount a 12vdc computer fan to the pressboard frame. Low / no bulk, no added gasketing, uses the gaskets of the vehicle instead. Hit it with some paint to seal it up nice. Layer some strips on the bottom edge to make a c-channel that fits over the top edge of the window glass.

No limit to the size, coloration, cfm and style of 12v native fans in the computer modding world. This is the perfect vehicle application for them. The fans are near silent and come in a wide variety of sizes (2"-10") for almost any configuration. You could even put a rheostat / speed control on the setup
http://www.newegg.com/Case-Fans/SubCategory/ID-573

Last edited:

pyrate

Rollin' along
It should work on a D2 as well, since the upper door frames are steel.

I use these as well. They work great, but unfortunately aren't available for the front windows for fear of being sued by stupid people.

I wonder what they are offering here then: http://www.windowsox.us/popup_image.php?pID=1285&osCsid=pjv121132fdnrlcsbtilgjjb93 There is no side roll down window. My parents have one of these vans and are making a little camper out of it and I was looking for screens for them.

Chazz Layne

Administrator
I couldn't tell you, though I don't see any screens in that photo. All I can say is what WindowSox told me when I inquired about front window screens: they don't make them because they are considered "unsafe."

Since only an idiot would drive with them on the front, the natural conclusion is that they're afraid of being sued by stupid people. :)

KevinsMap

Adventurer
from the Window Sox website...

Under "About Us": "Window SOX® are a new effective product for providing shade and insect protection when placed on the rear windows of your vehicle."

So in black and white, Chazz has the right of it. I am looking for just such a product, and remembered this description from my search.

He is also correct about lawsuits, because "There is no such thing as a foolproof system, since fools are so damn clever." I may add, they also seem to gravitate to lawyers, and lawyers only exist because of human folly. I am not being cynical; think about it.

racehorse

Adventurer
I just received an order of the windowsox. They have a really fantastic fitment, a little pricey but so nice for the money.

CONS: The order process is a little clunky. I did get them - eventually a month later - from Australia because all of my correspondence went into the 'junk folder' apparently according to the rep. So if you order just stay diligent in following your order through the process. But they really are a nice product.

KevinsMap

Adventurer
I just received an order of the windowsox. They have a really fantastic fitment, a little pricey but so nice for the money.

... and that kind of quote was why I was reading this thread in the first place; just what I needed to make the decision. Did not even have to ask; my thanks!

pyrate

Rollin' along
I emailed windowsox asking what screens are offered for the Toyota Van as only the front windows roll down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz