Window screens...

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
This is a sort of addendum to my "platform build" that I posted in the 4runner/Tacoma section:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/122999-Built-my-sleeping-platform!

I have been wanting to do this for several years now.

Since I camp out of my vehicle, it is often warm enough that I need/want ventilation, but of course, bugs can also be a problem. When camping 2 years ago at DE-II in Moab, I nearly got eaten alive camping at River House on the San Juan River so I finally made these last weekend:

Since my back door window openings are pretty much perfectly rectangular, it was easy for me to build a simple frame with 1 x 2 wood furring strips, and then staple some plastic screen material over them:

2014_0308_143256AA_zpsbaa2e8f8.jpg

They install easily, allowing the window to be open about 4" on each side. This should provide plenty of ventilation, though I may augment it with a battery powered fan.

2014_0308_143153AA_zps6d169b86.jpg

Mine fit tight. Actually, a little too tight. side-to-side. I think if I were to do them over again, I'd make them slightly undersized and then fill in the gap with some flexible foam or rubber material to make a tighter seal, and to lessen the chance that they'd damage the factory weather stripping.

However, these will work fine for now. This will work on almost any vehicle that has a more or less rectangular window opening. If your window opening is more rounded or angled, you might have to make a more complex shape but for my 4runner a simple rectangle was perfect.

java

Expedition Leader
That looks nice. Another option you may look at is to sew the mesh into a "pillow case" make it big enough to slide over the whole door and close the door on it.

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
I have two mosquito "shelters" from REI that I bought 10 years ago. I drape one over the entire door and pull tight and stuff the remainder into the cup holders near the bottom of the door. Then shut the door, it works perfect and can be used for any combination of windows, including the rear door. You can open the window a little or a lot.

They stuff into a sack about the size of a coke can and weigh nothing. The ones I have arent listed on the site, but similar to this:
http://www.rei.com/product/728960/mombasa-defender-mosquito-net

I think it would offer more flexibility and be more elegant than what you have there.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
There are several outfits selling magnetic screens for vehicles, I got mine from Magnascreen IIRC. They are nice for sleeping in the truck.

hoser

Explorer
I have a set of these in my sedan and would like to get (or make) them for my SUV. They pop in place and can stay on 24/7. But to travel at highway speeds, you'll have to keep the window at least halfway up.

I have not seen them available in the US except for certain BMW models. Somebody needs to offer them... and make them with slightly tighter netting to keep out the no-see-ums.

Corolla.jpg

http://www.blinds4cars.com

Last edited:

morrisdl

Adventurer
Screen-door material, 10 feet of magnet roll, and some hot glue. Works great for sleeping in the back!

20140520_203226.jpg

guestwho

Observer
Overseas, I've seen something that are like a see-through elastic mesh sock you pull over the top of the door. You can still close the door and drive around with your windows up or down. Not sure what they're called or where you could buy one.

preacherman

Explorer
Overseas, I've seen something that are like a see-through elastic mesh sock you pull over the top of the door. You can still close the door and drive around with your windows up or down. Not sure what they're called or where you could buy one.

I have a set of these. I will pull them out and look at the tags.

Desert Dan

Explorer
Skeeter beaters on 4R side rear door windows. I plan on making a screen for the rear hatch for use when it is hot and need more air flow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior