Water Storage/Water Container - Front Runner Jerry Can?

fireball

Explorer
Expo Members,

I'm looking for a convenient way to carry water for the family camping trips. We've got 2 kids and a large dog and tend to use more than our fair share.

Our cheapy Coleman container actually is great for our needs, but unfortunately lasted not quite two trips before the spout broke. Amazon is nice and will replace it for free, only problem is that I'd like something that actually works.

I like the Front Runner because it has a handy spigot that the kids can easily use, and can be secured in the back of the Land Cruiser or attached to the rear bumper in such a way that the spigot is easily accessed. Before spending ~$80 on a water holder, I wanted to see if anyone had any first hand experience or had other recommendations.

large_2158_RTJER022_1.jpg

Thanks!

xplrn42

Adventurer
The Frontrunner stuff is really nice. I'm planning on getting two of their fuel cans and one water can as you have pictured above.

robgendreau

Explorer
I dunno how beefy those are, but that bottom spigot looks like it would get smashed in short order. And I really like something with all the fittings on top, at least for storage. Might work better as just a dispenser.

I have gone through a whole bunch of the cheapies and finally have been satisfied with these, the LCI ones: http://www.buylci.com//ItemDisplayF.aspx?itemid=906396. Essentially the same as the sceptres. Some have reported some leaking, and buy rubber gaskets for the lids, but I just go without and haven't had problems. In fact I put a tire valve on mine and pump it with air to dispense water. Turns out you can screw a regular brass faucet fitting right into the narrow pour spount and it holds well. I added a PVC dip stick and now it works like a regular hose faucet with a few pumps of a bike pump. Here: http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=11416

They're $25, and free shipping if you get two. The website is a PITA to search, but somewhere on there they sell spare lids as well.

The other cool thing is the big opening; somes in handy when filling, and it means you can actually store stuff in them besides water (wag bags, fer instance, but make sure you've already used the water). There's also a guy called jamte or something that sells all kinds of nifty spouts and such for them, although you can DIY if you're willing to fiddle around finding what fits.

Rob

Last edited:

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
That spigot is junk. If you want a jerry can for water get a Scepter. Lexington Container Co. has them for $38.00/free shipping. I had two in blue arrive yesterday.

Seeker

Adventurer
I've used the Wedco water jerry cans and the scepter water jerry cans and been happy with both. Switched to the scepters because I was tired of the steel scepters beating up everything they got next to.

Post above is correct. All kinds of fittings from your local home despot that you can use as direct plug-ins on the scepter cans.

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
I've bought a lot of stuff from Front Runner, it's a great company and their delivery service for me has been beyond exceptional. I have purchased many of their products and have been very impressed with all of them. I have thrown the Scepters from a helicopter to the ground in a low hover, they will not burst. When I handled the Front Runner water cans at the Off-Road Expo in October, I did not get the same warm and fuzzy. I'd love to see Front Runner become a Scepter dealer.

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
I dunno how beefy those are, but that bottom spigot looks like it would get smashed in short order. And I really like something with all the fittings on top, at least for storage. Might work better as just a dispenser.

I have gone through a whole bunch of the cheapies and finally have been satisfied with these, the LCI ones: http://www.buylci.com//ItemDisplayF.aspx?itemid=906396. Essentially the same as the sceptres. Some have reported some leaking, and buy rubber gaskets for the lids, but I just go without and haven't had problems. In fact I put a tire valve on mine and pump it with air to dispense water. Turns out you can screw a regular brass faucet fitting right into the narrow pour spount and it holds well. I added a PVC dip stick and now it works like a regular hose faucet with a few pumps of a bike pump. Here: http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=11416

They're $25, and free shipping if you get two. The website is a PITA to search, but somewhere on there they sell spare lids as well.

The other cool thing is the big opening; somes in handy when filling, and it means you can actually store stuff in them besides water (wag bags, fer instance, but make sure you've already used the water). There's also a guy called jamte or something that sells all kinds of nifty spouts and such for them, although you can DIY if you're willing to fiddle around finding what fits.

Rob

Rob,

That's a much better price than I paid. Damn good find!

Ken

dstock

Explorer
I have the Frontrunner with the spigot. No issues so far, it's recessed pretty well so you'd have to work to break it I imagine. I also believe I saw a higher quality spigot on their site you can retrofit if you are worried about it. I'll probably add a scepter or two for extra capacity but it's nice to have one with the spigot access.
It sits nicely on our camp table providing water with ease. Makes it easy for kids to use as well.

And no, I have not thrown it out of a helicopter nor do I intend to do so. :sombrero:

YMMV

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I used the FrontRunner can. The spigot is definitely not vulnerable, and it's a very clever design, however, the quality of the spigot is not very good. Ours was VERY hard to turn on or off. It took a shocking amount of force, and always was a two handed operation, which made it really hard to hold your water bottle or pot with your third hand....

Richietherocket

Adventurer
We are using Rotopax water carriers that are the 2 gallon ones. They fit nicely behind the driver/passenger seats on the floor of our FJ and my two boys use them as steps. We can stack them 2 high or strap them to the roof.

jeepovich

Explorer
I have Front Runner 5 gal can. They are robust. The plastic spigot is definitely junk but the can is great. The threaded part of the can for the spigot is very thick & if you would hit the spigot, it will brake instead if the can. A friend of my has this plastic containers that he payed $5.00. The spigot on that container is identical to FrontRunner's except it is made from different/softer plastic and it works like a charm. The can is made from a blastic that will bend instead of cracking. It is very resistant to mildew. I have dropped it from the jeep on the trail at 15 mph in a very rocky area (it was not a soft landing). It was covered in dust and scratches but nothing else was damaged. I would not however recommend keeping it inside the vehicle only because both of my spigots drip water. I have it mounted on one of the jerry can carriers. That way I have a gravity powered faucet. This is the only pic I have right now.

IMG_20140125_073227_549.jpg

nat

Adventurer
I have a Front Runner can too. I can echo what others have said, the can is awesome, the spout is a bit hard to turn but otherwise it works just fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles