Anyone run the Viair compressor/tank combo's?

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I had a Viair 450 hard mount with a 2.5 gallon tank it was dead solid reliable, but took forever to fill 35" tires on my Jeep.

98 SNAKE EATER

Adventurer
I ran a 450C on my van with a 5 gallon tank for years without issue

Then after it was totaled, I put it on my 80, added another 5 gallon tank and installed it in a twin fan cooled tool box mounted on the roof where I also kept my fuse panel and relays for auxiliary lights.

fzjruffrakkkupdates.JPG

fzjruffrakkkupdates2.JPG

fzjruffrakkkupdates4.JPG

fzjruffrakkkupdates5.JPG

fzjruffrakkkupdates6.JPG

fzjruffrakkkupdates7.JPG

fzjruffrakkkupdates8.JPG

fzjruffrakkkupdates15.JPG

fzjruffrakkkupdates17.JPG

fzjruffrakkkupdates18.JPG

fzjruffrakkkupdates20.JPG

Even though it was filling twice the rated capacity, I was still able to run it constantly when using air tools because the fans kept the compressor head cool to the touch :cool:

I recently built a new roof rack and wanted to keep it empty for more trail gear and possible a roof top tent, so I relocated the compressor to the driver's side frame rail and installed a new 3 gallon aluminum tank....

newcompressorandtankmountedunderrail.jpg

Then I installed a pair of 1/4" bulkheads to the rear bumper wings....

newOBAsystem1.jpg

The one on the left has a ball valve directly behind it and will be used to connect my air hose by hand threading on either a male or female fitting whenever the time comes...

newOBAsystem3.jpg

newOBAsystem4.jpg

newOBAsystem11.jpg

The one on the right is connected to a solenoid valve so I can drain the moisture out of the tank at the push of a button :) (also works great for scaring cats)

newOBAsystem2.jpg

And apart from feeding the 3/8" drain hose and 1/2" OBA line to the bulkheads, there's also a 3/4" line feeding my Train Horns which I've split up with individual manifolds and stuffed them next to the rear winch ;)

newOBAsystem6.jpg

I plan on welding up a few more smaller tanks out of aluminum tubing to add up to about 6 or 7 gallons total....

98 SNAKE EATER

Adventurer
no issues with mine other than the TIME it takes to actually fill a 5 gal tank to 200 psi. running dual Compressors. Takes roughly 4.5 minutes to fill the tank,

Is there a specific reason you're running 200psi compressors?

While it's nice to have that kind of capability, the compressors designed to work at a lower rating will actually fill more cfm to a much more more usable 100-120psi quicker

Still need to troubleshoot a leak I have. After 12-24hrs, i'm back at zero psi. Would love to leave the tank pressurized until I am ready to use it.

That's the first thing I do before I ever start wiring up a system

There should be no leaks or pressure drop.

Granted, the pressure will fluctuate about 5psi up/down depending on severe temperature changes, but no more than that.

On a side note, if you've already sprayed down your fittings and checked for bubbles, you may also want to check your leader hoses.

ViAir's built in check valves are known for leaking back into the compressor.

You can check for bubbles at the air inlet where the air filter screws in.

98 SNAKE EATER

Adventurer
More air to fill tires

Not necessarily

Once your initial 5 gallons is depleted (rather quickly if you're running large tires), the majority of your fill relies mainly on the CFM rating at your actual working pressure (or whatever you fill your tires to)

Since your compressors are rated for 200psi, I'm guessing they're either 380c's or 480c's

The 380c is rated at 1.34cfm and the 480c is rated at 1.76cfm

You'd actually be better off running a 275c (2.03 cfm) or a 400c (2.54cfm) for a faster fill at your working pressure even though they're both only rated to a 150psi Max.

There really isn't a need for a 200psi system unless you're running equipment that actually requires that kind of psi (heavy air tools, huge ship horns, etc.)

spencyg

This Space For Rent
I've been running a ViAir 460C 100% duty compressor with a custom 5 gallon tank to run my airbags and fill tires for years. As other have stated, dead solid reliable but slow. There aren't a whole lot of reasonable electric options out there so I've kept this system for now. An engine based compressor would be best but unless you've got a rig with a ton of underhood room it isn't a reasonable option. I've thought about building a custom unit with an aftermarket compressor head and a large 12V motor but as I said...the ViAir is reliable and I'll keep it until I'm forced to upgrade.

SG

v_man

Explorer
For those running VIAIR..

What size tires , and how long does it take to fill up 1 tire , to go from XX PSI up to XX PSI.

The VIAIR website has fill times and specs for filling up 5 gallon tanks etc , but not anything related to tires ... I have big 37" , and I carry around a big Co2 tank . It is incredibly fast for tires though , I'd say about 45 seconds max to go from about 12 psi up to 25 psi.

zelatore

Explorer
Well, NO portable/mobile compressor is going to come close to a Co2 tank. But then again, it won't run out if you forget to take it into town to be re-filled.

I run a Viair 400. I haven't timed it, but I'm only on 32s. Spitballing, I'd say it's no more than 2-3 minutes each tire from about 20 to 50 psi. Although it's not a 100% duty cycle pump, it's faster than the 450 and I've never had it shut down on me doing 4 tires. Or even doing my tires plus a couple for a buddy. But it does get plenty hot by the end, so I'd guess I'm getting lose to the cut-out.

spencyg

This Space For Rent
My rig has 33" tires and airing all 4 from 20psi to 60psi takes a good 30 minutes with a 450C. As I said...it is slow but reliable. I'm watching the newest ARB dual pump compressor to see if people actually are getting reliable performance out of it in the long haul. Another thing I've been researching is adding a Chelsea PTO to my NP205 transfer case and running a larger air compressor with it for filling tires, running tools, etc. I'd leave the small viair to keep up with the air suspension and use the PTO compressor for "heavy lifting".

Dunno.

SG

Last edited:

spencyg

This Space For Rent
Chelsea PTO <--what exactly is one used for?

The NP205 has a PTO port on the side of the case to allow an auxiliary power output point. From the factory, the PTO port is blocked off with a steel plate and 6 screws. The Chelsea PTO mounts to the NP205 case and engages the input gear from the transmission to power the PTO output shaft. You can turn the PTO output on and off with a lever, and the transfer case can obviously be shifted between 2H-N-4H-4L. To run the PTO without the truck moving, you shift the transfer case into "N", PTO into "Engage", and put the transmission in gear. You can also run the PTO when the truck is moving down the road by keeping the transfer case in whatever gear is appropriate for your situation. The output of the PTO would go to an electric clutch, which then connects to the compressor pump head....no unlike your typical A/C compressor drive off the front of the engine. The electric clutch would be triggered by the pressure switch in your compressed air circuit.

SG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior