Anyone run the Viair compressor/tank combo's?

Scoutman

Explorer
I've been looking at compressors for my truck for a while and was pretty settled on the Puma 1.5 gal 12 volt compressor until I found that Viair also makes an all in one system as well. They have a few different flavors depending on your needs and the major differences is in the compressor on the top of the tank (in this case a 380C). The one that seems comparable in price is the Fast Fill 20007 model. I'm not interested in the little MV-whatevers and I want a hard mounted all in one system that will fit behind the bed side on my Dodge. I'll run a line from the tank to the rear bumper.

Has anyone run one of these Viair all in one compressors? Thoughts on performance? I'll mainly use it for tires, airbags, blow nozzle, and the occasional impact.

ask_200fast.png

verdesardog

Explorer
Mounted under the driver side frame rail. Quick connect at the rear of the bed inside the camper shell for 200 psi and a regulator in the engine compartment to drop the pressure to 125 for the pac brake and air horn.

DSC_3897.jpg

Last edited:

Scoutman

Explorer
So is that the same compressor system just unassembled? Does it come that way or was that a different kit?

jays0n

Adventurer
I have one of their kits mounted under the back of my FJ with a line ran to the front and rear bumpers, been working great for a couple years now. Mostly use it for airing back up and filling the occasional river floating tube :)

aero

Adventurer
Also are those kits fine with the compressor being under the vehicle with the elements or should they be inside?

verdesardog

Explorer
Mine has a Stainless steel box around about 75% of it to keep splashes off of it and the intake filter is inside the engine compartment I will post pics in a couple of days I'll be out camping for a while....

Kennyao30

Observer
hopefully the 380c is faster than the 280c. I had the 280c viair, it was painfully slow but as reliable as a wood burning stove.

Scoutman

Explorer
Mine has a Stainless steel box around about 75% of it to keep splashes off of it and the intake filter is inside the engine compartment I will post pics in a couple of days I'll be out camping for a while....

Definitely would like to see this box. Where i want to mount it would get a lot of spray if it didnt have a splash guard, which i plan to put in too.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
I bought that VAIR kit to mount in front of an XJ rear axle. The XJ did not have a stock axel so back it went for a portable model. I've been using it for about 7 years with typical china made frustrations, breakage and lack of real warranty. I'd try the puma.

Scoutman

Explorer
I bought that VAIR kit to mount in front of an XJ rear axle. The XJ did not have a stock axel so back it went for a portable model. I've been using it for about 7 years with typical china made frustrations, breakage and lack of real warranty. I'd try the puma.

After doing some more homework on the puma vs viair I think the Puma is in the lead for me. It puts out a lot more cfm, is slightly cheaper, and seems to be one of the best bang for your buck all in one systems out there. I havent read any regrets from those who have the puma.

highdesertranger

Adventurer
I ran a viair for years, not the all in one but a compressor and tank. on mine the compressor needed 14+ volts for max performance so the engine had to be running at high idle. while very reliable it was very slow. better than the cheapies but still slow. so I figured if I had to have the engine running anyways why not try a York. boy what a difference, there is no comparison the York wins hands down. just sayn. highdesertranger

BigJimCruising

Adventurer
I have one of the Viair kits with the 100% duty cycle compressor (I think it's rated at 190psi) and tank and parts to hook it all up. Total crap. I would never buy this kit again or any Viair products. Cheap parts, poor kit, poor compressor. NEVER AGAIN!!!!!!! I bought it from 4 Wheel parts and tried to post a negative review but they won't allow negative comments. No more Viair, no more 4 Wheel Parts store. Just in case I wasn't clear, both are TOTAL CRAP!!!!

fishEH

Explorer
I have one of the Viair kits with the 100% duty cycle compressor (I think it's rated at 190psi) and tank and parts to hook it all up. Total crap. I would never buy this kit again or any Viair products. Cheap parts, poor kit, poor compressor. NEVER AGAIN!!!!!!! I bought it from 4 Wheel parts and tried to post a negative review but they won't allow negative comments. No more Viair, no more 4 Wheel Parts store. Just in case I wasn't clear, both are TOTAL CRAP!!!!
No experience with Viair but I WILL NOT do business with 4 Wheel Parts ever again.
They are sneaky and underhanded and have VERY shady business practices.

Scoutman

Explorer
I ran a viair for years, not the all in one but a compressor and tank. on mine the compressor needed 14+ volts for max performance so the engine had to be running at high idle. while very reliable it was very slow. better than the cheapies but still slow. so I figured if I had to have the engine running anyways why not try a York. boy what a difference, there is no comparison the York wins hands down. just sayn. highdesertranger

I have done the York compressor on a different vehicle and I agree it is a great option for some rigs but not really the sort of project I want to do on this truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles