2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Uberlanding Build

griffman

I could never bring my self to spend that kind of money on a hood. I know its big talk but I just built up the courage to cut my stock hood for the snorkel. Later this year I plan to get a poison spider hood louver (150ish) that reduces heat, acts as a hood blackout and also looks really cool. That and its a fraction of the cost for an AEV hood that doesn't have a blackout. Nice jeep by the way. I went with the AEV 2.5 lift and love it to death. Every time I look down there I find something else I like about it.
http://shop.poisonspyder.com/Jeep-JK-Hood-Louver-p/17-53-011.htm

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
I could never bring my self to spend that kind of money on a hood.[/url]

No kidding. And what does it really do besides add bling? It doesn't get me down the road any better then my stock factory hood so it's a no go for me.

MattScott

Approved Vendor
susa6u3a.jpg

I added a set of Truck-Lite LED Headlights along with the anti-flicker adapter.

Went for a quick drive tonight after the install and it seems to be a big improvement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
susa6u3a.jpg

I added a set of Truck-Lite LED Headlights along with the anti-flicker adapter.

Went for a quick drive tonight after the install and it seems to be a big improvement.

Do you notice a big difference on low beam freeway driving, or is it more of a high beam difference?
Reason I ask is there was a test done with some pretty decent empirical data, showing the stock low beam to produce more lumen out past 200' (200' to 500'). It even showed up in the pictures. Now 200' or less, and when on high beam, the LEDs were much better performing.
I do more urban freeway driving, so low beam 300'+ range is very important for me.

Thanks for your input.

MattScott

Approved Vendor
I'll pay attention to my thoughts at those distances.

What test was that? I'd be curious to look at it.

GetOutThere

Adventurer
Thanks Matt,

Really appreciate you unbiased input. This stuff is crazy expensive, and am hoping not to "shoot myself in the foot" by making the wrong move, since I only use high beams maybe 10% of the time (if that).
Here is a link to the article:
http://www.jkowners.com/tech/lights/

Good read, thanks for the link. I especially liked this gem:

"Initial impression: They look like bulbs, that's a good thing as they could have looked like a radish and radishes have poor light output. Vegetables are not a DOT approved lighting source."

ndrenfro

FWIW, I would rate my TruckLite LEDs as one of the best mods I've done, and I've done a lot. I found the stock headlights terrible and these are a remarkable improvement, both in low and high beams. It's a brighter and cleaner light do you can actually now see at night. Just a recommendation from personal experience.

dstock

Explorer
FWIW, I would rate my TruckLite LEDs as one of the best mods I've done, and I've done a lot. I found the stock headlights terrible and these are a remarkable improvement, both in low and high beams. It's a brighter and cleaner light do you can actually now see at night. Just a recommendation from personal experience.

+1 only wished I had done this mod sooner.

MattScott

Approved Vendor
I haven't done any significant night driving, but I found that the cutoff of the Truck-Lites seem to match really well with where the Rigid LED kicks in.

Vince1

Adventurer
FWIW, I would rate my TruckLite LEDs as one of the best mods I've done, and I've done a lot. I found the stock headlights terrible and these are a remarkable improvement, both in low and high beams. It's a brighter and cleaner light do you can actually now see at night. Just a recommendation from personal

The stock JK lights are downright dangerous on country roads and useless off-road. Complete garbage. I've had JWSpeakers for 3 years and can say they are fantastic. Last year, I added their fogs and they really fill in nicely. Great, sharp LED light, last forever, DOT approved, JKs should come stock like this. Most manufacturers are moving this direction.

ndrenfro

The stock JK lights are downright dangerous on country roads and useless off-road. Complete garbage. I've had JWSpeakers for 3 years and can say they are fantastic. Last year, I added their fogs and they really fill in nicely. Great, sharp LED light, last forever, DOT approved, JKs should come stock like this. Most manufacturers are moving this direction.

I should add that I also have the JW fogs under my TruckLites. They do fill in the close range very nicely.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles