2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Uberlanding Build

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
that's a great option that works very well. I am looking at those as well because I like ALOT of brake in my vehicles.

JeepinJon

Observer
TeraFlex is a nice option, but you could always do the Mopar export brakes. Those use a 13" rotor and new caliper and brackets, but reuse the stock JK pads. You will get a bit more clamipng force, and also more leverage while still being able to order the parts over the counter from any dealership.

MattScott

Approved Vendor
TeraFlex is a nice option, but you could always do the Mopar export brakes. Those use a 13" rotor and new caliper and brackets, but reuse the stock JK pads. You will get a bit more clamipng force, and also more leverage while still being able to order the parts over the counter from any dealership.

Do you have a link for this? I prefer OEM, but the Teraflex kit doesn't look bad.

Vince1

Adventurer
I've had the full Teraflex kit up front for 2 years now without issues. Uses larger calipers with Ram1500 pads, but I haven't had to replace them yet. Really like the greater holding power, especially on tricky trails. Pedal feel is the same as stock. Make sure you also get their larger bore master cylinder, it really makes a difference. I also added stainless steel lines and went with Powerslot rotors and Evo pads in rear since at the time, there were few other options. I'm not sure you'll get the stopping power you desire with stock calipers...the pad surface area is what counts.

Last edited:

Vince1

Adventurer
Dan- The larger contact area is far better at spreading out the frictional force and the heat generated. Move small pads way out and you'll be replacing them more often. Toyota engineers made this mistake back in the 90's. It does allow more leverage to be exerted though, like using a longer wrench. Put a lot of torque on a 1/4" nut vs a 5/8" though and you know the result. The complete kit gives you both the larger rotor diameter and larger, dual piston caliper.
A heavy 37" tire rotating on a fully loaded truck requires a big caliper/pad. That's what they do on the J8 (I've heard also uses ram 1500) And if you are trying to apply a lot of hydraulic force, the larger bore MC and dual large piston caliper is the ticket. I wouldn't overlook clamping force. When you are fully loaded on a tight, steep switchback over a Rocky Mountain cliff, increased holding power is very much appreciated. The stock caliper, like the '07-10 engine, was adopted from the minivan (and Nitro) and was never meant to hold 37's. Interesting how exports got the 13" rotor.
http://www.crownautomotive.net/category/JK-Front-Brakes.html

Last edited:

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I always laugh at the minivan engine comment. I have a 2013 caravan crew as our ride in florida, guess what, it has the 3.6. So essentially, the new jeep has a minivan motor too. JUST SAYIN!

The teraflex brake system is awesome. go for it.

MattScott

Approved Vendor
I always laugh at the minivan engine comment. I have a 2013 caravan crew as our ride in florida, guess what, it has the 3.6. So essentially, the new jeep has a minivan motor too. JUST SAYIN!

That's pretty funny!

Well, I'm pretty happy with this new minivan engine!

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Needs headlights?

I don't mind how the stock units look, but they perform pretty terribly.

I know everyone is all about the LED lights these days, but I just put PIAA extreme white bulbs in the stock housings and even up here in the dark wet winter, they were great! Took all of a half hour and $80. It is a MASSIVE improvement over the factory bulbs.

Glad to see the light bar on the bumper. It just makes more sense.

willywaxer

The comment was on the old engine and it is true...it doesn't perform well when you add heavier tires and a lot of weight from mods and equipment. Also, how many minivans have you seen with 35s or 37's? Now how many Ram trucks have you seen with them? ever compare their brake systems? Size up your brakes, you'll be glad you did if you ever take your mall crawler on an actual trip off-road.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles