2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Uberlanding Build

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
and I am stating that the new engine is a minivan engine too. and has the same brakes etc. Don't rag on the old motor as being a minivan engine put into a another vehicle as the new engine is just that too. and BTW, the old motor produces more torque down low which helps move the said 35/37s easier off the line. But hey, its junk.

and Just for your information JACK, my jeep gets wheeled regularly. Very regularly. 3-5 times a week regularly. Any free time we have as a family we are gone in the backcountry exploring. I do daily drive it, but I DO WHEEL it too. better check your facts before you make ***-umptions.

Number 3 on your last post, the big brakes will help better On road more than off road. I have not seen speeds of 60 plus mph off road very often where bigger brakes help slow you faster.

Last edited:

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Needs headlights?

I know everyone is all about the LED lights these days, but I just put PIAA extreme white bulbs in the stock housings and even up here in the dark wet winter, they were great! Took all of a half hour and $80. It is a MASSIVE improvement over the factory bulbs.

Glad to see the light bar on the bumper. It just makes more sense.
PIAA bulbs can fool your eyes but not a light meter...
The best bulbs for the stock H13s on the JK are the Phillips Xtreme Vision.
http://store.candlepower.com/bfcopoh1390p.html
They'll run circles around the tinted bulbs and save you $36 next time.
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/blue/good/good.html

willywaxer

kojackJKU

nope, the minivans headlights are really good. I agree the best bulb is the xtreme vision. I tried everything before going with truck lites which are awesome...

willywaxer

nope, the minivans headlights are really good. I agree the best bulb is the xtreme vision. I tried everything before going with truck lites which are awesome...

I'm glad TL got their stuff together. I had 2 pairs of their earlier versions and sold them immediately ( poor pattern and throw) I ended up with JWSpeakers, but the first version (glass) had issues and were replaced with the second which I've had now for 2 years without issue. Headlights, for whatever reason, are a tricky issue with Jeeps. Even my TJ stockers were poor, yet a plain round headlight should be an easy thing to get right. Glad there are aftermarket options, but they are pricey, and need extra wiring (harness) to separate them from an archaic system. All the other modern vehicles I've owned have had great headlights right from the factory. Why not with a wranglers???

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Yes, but the stock housings suck so how much can you really improve them? They also must have come from the minivan..lol
True; the stock reflectors are not the best.

There are intrinsic limitations to any dual filament headlight. The Jeep is at a disadvantage due mostly to the styling element that dictates that a Jeep may only have two headlights and that they must be round...

kojackJKU

I'm glad TL got their stuff together. I had 2 pairs of their earlier versions and sold them immediately ( poor pattern and throw) I ended up with JWSpeakers, but the first version (glass) had issues and were replaced with the second which I've had now for 2 years without issue. Headlights, for whatever reason, are a tricky issue with Jeeps. Even my TJ stockers were poor, yet a plain round headlight should be an easy thing to get right. Glad there are aftermarket options, but they are pricey, and need extra wiring (harness) to separate them from an archaic system. All the other modern vehicles I've owned have had great headlights right from the factory. Why not with a wranglers???

Yes the phase 7 "new model" Truck lites are awesome. A massive improvement over the crap stock light. JW's are awesome too, I just don't like the styling of the light itself. I know they work well from riding Harleys using them. I am thinking of getting them for my road glide CVO. But im not sure if they warrant the extra costs on my bike as I rarlely ride my Harley at night. Most times im on my versys in the night and I have HID aux lighting etc.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
PIAA bulbs can fool your eyes but not a light meter...
The best bulbs for the stock H13s on the JK are the Phillips Xtreme Vision.
http://store.candlepower.com/bfcopoh1390p.html
They'll run circles around the tinted bulbs and save you $36 next time.
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/blue/good/good.html

Well, it is my eyes that are seeing much better now, so I'm happily fooled. And shipping + taxes + duty + exchange rate would eat most of that $36 I'd wager. I have heard good things about the Phillips bulbs, and will look into them for next time.

kojackJKU

Well, it is my eyes that are seeing much better now, so I'm happily fooled. And shipping + taxes + duty + exchange rate would eat most of that $36 I'd wager. I have heard good things about the Phillips bulbs, and will look into them for next time.

The phillips do make a huge difference to even the piaas. I had a set of piaa and did a side by side. the phillips while more "yellow" in color, you could see much farther, and are better in adverse weather.

MattScott

Approved Vendor
What does everyone use for wheel locks? I'll likely be doing beadlocks, and I'd like to make sure they're not stolen.

I am just afraid of a ****ty, cheap solution that is hard to use in a stressful field situation.

sgregg108

Adventurer
What does everyone use for wheel locks? I'll likely be doing beadlocks, and I'd like to make sure they're not stolen.

I am just afraid of a ****ty, cheap solution that is hard to use in a stressful field situation.

Try gorilla wheel locks, they use a socket that grabs onto a key pattern on the outside of the lugnut, they won't strip out like the crappy mcgard style and work easily w/ the factory lug wrench

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dstock

Explorer
Try gorilla wheel locks, they use a socket that grabs onto a key pattern on the outside of the lugnut, they won't strip out like the crappy mcgard style and work easily w/ the factory lug wrench

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 Even works on the narrow lug hole AEV wheels.

Offbrandkris

-1 the black ones rust really quickly (poor finish). Their chrome lugs hold up better.

That is good to know, I was planning on replacing my chrome ones with black to complete the "look" of my all black JK, but if they are quick to rust I may stick with the chrome ones I have on there now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior