Coleman sleeping bags at Walmart/Target

A3M0N

Observer
I noticed the bags at Walmart locally aren't named like the ones on Coleman's website or even on Walmart's website. Like instead of being called "Trinidad", there is a bag that isn't named, but just Coleman brand sleeping bag rated from 40 - 60 degrees. Are these the same bags? Same features like the no snag zippers and the ability to zip two of them together?

Thanks for any info!

jus passin thru

Adventurer
Sort of off subject. When I was buying a Colman tent I checked Walmart better prices than Cabella's , big Five and bass pro what a deal. On further inspection, no rain fly with the Walmart tent. If you pay less you are often getting less. Buyer beware at Walmart even with name brands.

A3M0N

Observer
Just a question, did you buy a Coleman instant tent? They don't come with rain fly's, there sold separately.

robgendreau

Explorer
Sometimes a big player like Walmart can spec their own gear from somebody like Coleman (or probably more accurately the manufacturer in China gets the specs from Coleman and/or Walmart and then slaps a Coleman label on it per their licensing agreement). So don't assume it's got the same specs. Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Walmart just like costco will ask a manufacture like Coleman to make something but can only sell their product at x price. Manufactures are not gonna say no to walmart. Basically it is a Coleman brand just made cheaper. Same goes for almost everything sold at Walmart. Like tires.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jus passin thru

Adventurer
Actually I bought a Eureka tent to get away fro the plastic tarp floor. where you buy a Coleman tent determines what you get. Basically Walmart sells a lot stuff that is barely functional you need to shop there very carefully.

MOAK

Adventurer
Wal-Mart, Cabella's, K-Mart, etc, all about the same when it comes to camping gear, with Cabella's just a step above Wally world. I spoke with an exec at Cabella's a couple years ago and it seems the only way they can compete with the next door Wally World is to stock junk on their shelves. Either way, even the top of the line Coleman stuff, the old dependable stuff, (stoves and lanterns), are of very poor quality at Wal-Mart, the QC is simply neglected.. About the only camping gear I would purchase at Wally World would be the lantern bags, and even then, with a large amount of skepticism.. Here in our region we have a Cabella's, a Bass Pro Shop, and a Gander Mountain, all three within 30 miles of our home. I won't go into a Cabella's on principal, never been in the Bass, and find Gander Mountain to be good for some things, (food, yetis and other functional top quality gear).. But more often than not, if we want the good important gear, (tents, bags, hydration packs, cots, etc) we find ourselves trekking the 100 miles to our nearest REI.. It took nearly half of my life to realize the importance of carefully shopping, spending a bit more money (once), and ending up with what you have paid for.. I must say though, that we do miss the local mom&pop outfitters. Cabella's put them under..

A3M0N

Observer
Thanks everyone. I ended up ordering a pair for the wife and myself from Amazon. My kids have a Coleman and a Swiss Gear from target, the Coleman one has the same no snag zipper and other features, but the lining is that smooth, nylon like poly, not a fleece type. My son doesn't seem to mind though, it's all he'll sleep in now.

Colin Hughes

Explorer
Call me crazy but I need to replace both Therm-a-rests and sleeping bags this year and I'm going to buy from the local mom and pop outdoor store about an hour from me. Will I pay more than Wal-mart or Amazon, yes, likely but if we don't start supporting our local businesses, there won't be any left and we'll have no one to blame but ourselves.

A3M0N

Observer
If there was a mom and pop store here I would certainly check it out, but there isn't even a big box sporting goods store here, which I do find strange in such a popular tourist/spring break town. We do have lots of gimmicky beach shops though. You want a cheap bodyboard, or a feather braided into your hair? We got that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne

Members online