Lavarunner Build Thread

_Aaron_

Observer
Hello Expo folks!

I'm new to trucks, but not new to being offroad (lotsa mountain bikes, 1150gs with 107,000 miles). Super stoked! Previous rigs include a '93 Eurovan Weekender that we took a lot of places where we shouldn't have. Can't believe that thing made it through some of the terrain we threw at it.

Our new 4Runner TEP has about 400 miles on the clock. Time to start the build!

Goals/ideas for the build include:
- augment the vehicle so we can be comfortable for extended off road romps around Cascadia...and beyond.
- don't sacrifice reliability with any mod. simple = good.
- keep the body intact. no fender cutting or body mount chopping for now.
- no big loads on the roof
- have fun and get rad

Stock
before.jpg

Icon Stage 1+, MetalTech sliders
after.jpg

sliders.jpg

Work done by MetalTech. I didn't get to take the truck in, but the report from the missus was 100% positive.

Next up:
- Cooper Discoverer 275/70/17
- Frontrunner Slimline II

Last edited:

_Aaron_

Observer
Update No. 2

Tires and rack installed
racktable.jpg

Looking pretty good! Rack install was overall very straightforward and appears to be great quality. The latch system for storing the table is neat.

latch.jpg

Some pics of our chuck box in a SKB case.
camp1.jpg

camp2.jpg

camp3.jpg

We have a lot of thinking to do about organization in the rig, but two of these cases fit perfectly across the back.

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
I can...looks great! I really like the skb chuckbox. Where did you source those, of you don't mind me asking and what size? How do you like the Icon setup?

fowldarr

Explorer
very nice looking. My in-laws are picking up a brand new 4runner later this month or early april. I'm very excited as they are going through a dealer local to me, and I will get the opportunity to deliver it to them in Idaho. A short but fun road trip, especially on someone else's dime.

_Aaron_

Observer
I can...looks great! I really like the skb chuckbox. Where did you source those, of you don't mind me asking and what size? How do you like the Icon setup?

The cases are repurposed panniers from my motorcycle. I recently upgraded to Zega cases on my GS and knew I'd find a use for these eventually. So I used Gorilla Tape and silicone to deal with the mounting holes to make them watertight again.

The are the 40L cases. Not huge, not small. Plenty of room for a camp kitchen (as far as we're concerned) and the other has a lot of dry goods. And like I mentioned - dumb luck that they fit two abroad in the back of the rig. Will photograph that tomorrow.

I bought these are part of a system from Caribou Cases, but the cases should be widely available: http://www.skbcases.com/sports/dealers.php

They'll be very useful until we figure out what we want to do with the back!

_Aaron_

Observer
yeah, need details on that icon shizz

So far so good with the Icon setup. Tho let me be honest, I have nothing to compare it too except ~400 miles of road driving in this rig.

I put on what I'm calling Stage 1+ (or Stage 2-). I'm using the extended travel coil overs, but instead of the crazy Icon UCAs, I'm using the Light Racing ones. Saves a lot of dough.

Things I've noticed:

- I read that an aftermarket setup would help with nosedive when braking. No such luck. In fact, might be worse?

- Sitting up higher feels great! The additional clearance - and sliders - are a nice piece of mind.

- I'm not accustomed to the steering. Lots of corrections to make when driving. But to be fair, I noticed this when driving stock too. I've read that getting a lot of positive caster on the alignment will help with this. (Had a lousy experience at an independent alignment shop recommended by America's Tire, taking it to another place tomorrow.)

- The truck still rides nicely. It is a bit rougher <20 mph, but feels great going faster. I noticed a huge difference driving 4Runners with/without KDSS. I went with the KDSS, felt great. I'd love to find a non-KDSS rig with the same suspension setup as this for an A/B comparison.

I'll have more data after our forthcoming trip to Moab. Planning on running the White Rim, Fins, Lockhart, and whatever else comes up!

_Aaron_

Observer
very nice looking. My in-laws are picking up a brand new 4runner later this month or early april. I'm very excited as they are going through a dealer local to me, and I will get the opportunity to deliver it to them in Idaho. A short but fun road trip, especially on someone else's dime.

Nice! Have fun. FYI, regarding the break-in period, the owner's manual dictates: "Do not drive at a constant speed for extended periods." We promptly drove ours 400 miles upon delivery, but avoided cruise control, and tried to vary the speed as much as possible. I have no idea whether driving at 60 for a while, then 80, etc... helped or not. I'm not too worried about it!

_Aaron_

Observer
White Rim Trail photos

Final packing arrangement
packed.JPG

Worked out well but of course I'll experiment a bit more before committing to any permanent storage solution.

A bit NW of Price, UT.
P1020871.JPG

Top of Shafer switchbacks
ss.JPG

The 4Runner is just turning the corner.

Heading in to the White Rim Trail
headingin.JPG

Camp at Hardscrabble
camp.JPG

Not a bad place to make coffee!
coffee.JPG

On the WRT
edge.JPG

One of the best roads I've driven. Look closely and spot the truck.

Going down Murphy Hogback
mh.JPG

People like to hype this up. While it is probably the most technical portion of the WRT, it is no big deal if you have even a modicum of driving skill. We just cruised and and down in 4LO.

Playing around on Fins and Things
fins.JPG

I was extremely timid on this trail! The 4Runner didn't skip a beat.

Kaitum 2 GT
hill.JPG

Any Hilleberg fans?

Next up: cleaning all of the dust out of the truck's crevices! :yikes:

_Aaron_

Observer
Suspension thoughts

(I posted a version of this on the NW section but didn't get any responses so I'm posting here too)

Does anyone on here around Oregon have a 4Runner with an aftermarket suspension? If so, would you like to meet up and compare?

I'm not sure that the Icons I have are the right choice for me and would like another point of reference.

When off road, the suspension feels good at 35mph off road, better at 40mph, and best when hauling *****. :Wow1:

The problem is, as you might guess, that I spend less time driving 50mph off road than driving slower, more sane speeds. And while the suspension has also helped with body roll and nose dive, it does feel pretty harsh when traveling over easy and moderate off road terrain. And yes, I realize that I'm driving off road so it isn't going to be like tarmac, but I can't help but thinking that it could be a bit better.

So I'm wondering if I'd be better off with a King or OME setup and would love to drive some rigs back to back.

(Would also be interested in hearing about any relevant experience that you may have).

Thanks!

rig2.jpg

rig.jpg

_Aaron_

Observer
You might notice that we have a different rack on the 4Runner now.

The Frontrunner Slimline II was a great rack, but after renting a RTT we got really interested in them. Could have easily put a RTT on the Slimline II but wanted some leftover space for fuel, etc...

So I called up Paul May and got the same setup he has on his 4Runner. There is a significant amount of rack that's past the front mounting points, and while I wouldn't put a *ton* of weight up front, it does seem solid. My mom sent the awning for xmas, so we had to try it out right away.

Haven't done too much to the truck otherwise. Recently installed this LED kit which was a nice little upgrade. I also have the bulbs to do the H11 to H9 and 9005 to 9011 conversion. Looking forward to that.

That and dealing with some squeaky UCA bushings (I think that's what it is) are next on the list.

Next major trip on the list is Death Valley in a couple of months!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94