What do you think of this thing?

Crooked1

I've lurked around here for quite a while. Now I've started seeking the right trailer to base a build project on. I'm going to try and check this out next week sometime.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
I don't know the build material, the size, or the weight at this point. My fear is that it would be too heavy for my JKU on anything more technical than a dirt road. I'm wondering if I can put it on a diet before adding weight like a fridge, RTT, batteries, water tank and all the associated gear. It has a $700 price tag on it right now.

D

Deleted member 9101

I think it is a great idea!

To drop weight, you might need to build a lighter frame, looks like it is on an old truck frame which is waaay overkill. Also, with that much storage it is very easy to over load it...lol.

bdog1

Adventurer
Maybe search for the utility bed for a mini truck? I know there are some made of fiberglass too. Not sure on weights though.

Sent by wing, prayer & ATT

sgiandubh

Observer
Looks like a sweet starting point. I second the suggestion to lose the truck frame. A lighter frame, spring over and judicious loading should give you a capable trailer.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Excellent! Looks like a glass model New lighter frame and matching bolt pattern axle and she will be ready to go.
Post your results.

loren85022

Explorer
Thats fiberglass. Looks like its off a full size. The full pass-through cab in front is rare and with slight mod is great for frig and storage. You could likely give it a diet by creating an all new frame. Those fenders can likely be reversed allowing you two options for axle locations. IMO $700 is fair, $500 is great. They can definitely get heavy quick. Those cabinets will just be screaming at you to put cool stuff on board.

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
If that is a fiberglass unit, grab it and smile all the way to the bank, if it is solid. These make great trailers, and are strong enough to do any trailer you might try to take it on. This is a great base. If it is steel, still a great base, but pretty heavy, but the possibilities are endless. For someone with a full size pickup this is a great trailer if it is steel.

If it is within a 100 miles I would go look at it for sure, I guess it is in Kansas, so I am not making the trip, but I would if it were here. I found one that was steel a couple of months ago, but the guy want 1200 bucks for it. Good price makes it a considerable option.

Crooked1

Damn it! Just when I've got my mind made up, you got me thinking about again. This will be my tow vehicle for the time being...
yva3a2ah.jpg

At least until the '16 diesel JKU comes out. I plan on stripping all the goodies out of this one that I can at that point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Chili

Explorer
If that is a fiberglass unit, grab it and smile all the way to the bank, if it is solid. These make great trailers, and are strong enough to do any trailer you might try to take it on. This is a great base. If it is steel, still a great base, but pretty heavy, but the possibilities are endless. For someone with a full size pickup this is a great trailer if it is steel.

If it is within a 100 miles I would go look at it for sure, I guess it is in Kansas, so I am not making the trip, but I would if it were here. I found one that was steel a couple of months ago, but the guy want 1200 bucks for it. Good price makes it a considerable option.

Yes.. If fiberglass I would buy it in a heartbeat. I would still want to use a lighter frame and axle (assuming it's still the truck axle) for towing behind a Jeep though.

Chili

Explorer
Hell, for $700 I would think you could flip it to a jobber if you decided against it later, for minimal to no loss..

loren85022

Explorer
For that jeep, I definitely agree that you will like driving with a smaller and lighter trailer behind you. Have you looked at the Dinoot (sp) Fiberglas tub/trailer? They're really building some good options on that small platform. If having the side boxes, like a utility trailer/bed offers is important, I think there are ways you could attach some boxes to this body.

Offhand, I do not know the weight of and a/T trailer. But I can tell you my buddy's Jeep which is very similar to yours, can take it just about anywhere. But the weight is definitely noticeable when trying to get somewhere at highway speeds.. Even my mini truck utility bed trailer looks ridiculously large behind his Jeep..

Sent from my iToaster

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94