Plastic-dip propane tank?

60Dan

Explorer
Has anyone done this?
I have 2 5lb propane tanks that are looking scruffy and have some plasti dip left over from a previous project.

Is it safe to put a coating on a propane tank?
Any law that says it HAS to be white or can I change the color?

Thanks

ExploringNH

Explorer
Many people paint their tanks and I can't find any law that says you can't. I don't see any reason why plasti-dip would be any different. I would make a call to your favorite filling station first though and ask what they say. The person filling the tank is supposed to watch for condition of the tank to make sure it is safe. There may be an argument that because it was painted with plasti-dip that you can not see any underlying rust, cracks, or other damage. I personally can't imagine I would run into this issue but it may be a concern for some who may end up getting a fill from an overzealous station. Your filling station may also have a company policy that says they won't fill a painted tank for whatever reason. It's best to call before wasting the time and supplies on something that may need to be taken off.

One thing to watch out for is color. Propane tanks are most often white because of the heat reflecting qualities. Painting the tank a darker color will attract more sun and gain/retain more heat. A higher temperature equates to a higher internal pressure. This could lead to blowing the over pressure safety valve, especially on a tank left in direct hot sun.

Chili

Explorer
I would also be concerned with the durability of plastidip. I would think that any bumps or scratches (after painting) are just going to mar it, leaving it looking even worse than it already does. Then you have the added issue of the contrast between the white scrapes, and the color of the plastidip.

Just my opinion.

robgendreau

Explorer
That stuff is pretty thick IIRC. Some tanks (not sure about little ones like these) have info stamped on them. And your refiller may not be happy if they can't read them. So make sure they're legible.

Jr_Explorer

Explorer
I see the concern about corrosion because you are wrapping a plastic shell around a metal cylinder that gets cold. If there is any separation at all and you get moisture condensing between the two that would be bad. But there is a lot of "theoretical' and qualifying "if's" in that concern.

The thickness would be a concern if you fill-in the I.D. numbering and hydro date info around the top of the tank.

60Dan

Explorer
Understood.
I asked my filling station about it. While they dont have a problem with it, he said other states and their laws may be different.

I'll just stick with the white for now to be safe, thanks for everyone's input

FromRaleigh

Adventurer
I had to fill propane tanks at a job a long time ago. If someone brought in a plastic-dipped tank (if that existed at the time) I would have refused to fill it because I wouldn't have been able to inspect it. I doubt you'd have a problem finding someone to fill it, but anyone who cared about safety would refuse.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I belong to a vintage trailer club and I can tell you people paint their propane tanks all the time to match their trailers.

I think the reason you see most people using white is because they don't refill them, they swap them out when they need a new bottle.

kf4zht

Legally you would have a DOT issue. DOT requires any pressure tank (esp with flammables) that will be transported on public roads to have certain testing done. The certification of those tests along with the manufacturer info and date of manufacture are stamped on the tank. While normal paint will just let the letters show through plastidip is thick and will probably cover them up.

Also filling stations are supposed to visually check cylinders before filling and a thick paint would make that difficult.

Paintball players run into the same thing. Numerous companies make covers for tanks since almost no field will fill a painted tank and you can't get the re-certified.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
http://griffisgas.com/blog/can-i-paint-my-propane-tank/

Seeing this image makes me want to paint my tank. :)

yellow_propane_tank-263x300.jpg

summerprophet

Adventurer
While Propane tanks do not HAVE to be white, they are required by law to be a light color. This is to minimize the sun from heating the contents. Manufacturers produce them in white, silver and light grey.

That being said, it is pretty uncommon for filling attendants to actually know the law. Chances are 1 in 20 will refuse to fill your tank.

Best propane tank paint job I have seen was painting it to look like a Lego head.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles