Engel Versus Dometic

MOAK

Adventurer
Hello all, I'm having a very tough time deciding which fridge freeze to purchase. The Engel MD14F or the Dometic (Weaco) CF-025.. We will be using our new fridge freezer strictly for frozen goods,, making ice, keeping ice cream, frozen yogurt, and ice packs to sooth my wife's occipital neuralgia. The Dometic is about $125 less than the Engel unit, and 10 qts larger. The difference in price doesn't matter. 10 more qts would be nice, but not a top priority. I've read good reviews of both of these units, but can find no info on how long the Dometic will take to freeze a tray of ice..The Engel unit claims 2 to 3 hours.. And the Dometic spec sheets seem to be a little less than clear about the lowest temp setting.. My gut tells me,,,, Engel,, my brain tells me to post this up and get opinions based upon experience, from my fellow expo members,, thanks

Jr_Explorer

Explorer
Any reason you are in the market for such small units? I'm assuming you have a small available space for said fridge/freezer? For $835 (on Amazon) you can get the more "standard" size 50 qt ARB unit (Engel and Dometic both make comparable sizes also). As with many things in life there is great convenience with a larger unit.

MOAK

Adventurer
Any reason you are in the market for such small units? I'm assuming you have a small available space for said fridge/freezer? For $835 (on Amazon) you can get the more "standard" size 50 qt ARB unit (Engel and Dometic both make comparable sizes also). As with many things in life there is great convenience with a larger unit.
We currently have a Yeti 75, and am quite happy with it, kept our food cold for 5 days in 95+ degrees.. The smaller fridge/freezer unit will be used strictly for freezing ice packs, and keeping a couple of frozen goods.. The "Ace" ice packs are instant relief for my wife's occipital neuralgia whenever the pain rears it's ugly head.. Down the road we may replace the Yeti with a large fridge, but for now we just need a small freezer.. Thanks

Explorer
I have an engle 35qt, very solid and reliable, I would not consider anything larger unless I was consistantly going more than two weeks between grocery stops. I would look at the two zone fridge/freezer models.

The engle is probably more reliable amd more power efficient, the only thing I don't like is that the temperature knob can get bumped easily.

Scoutn79

Adventurer
You may look into the power consumption specs as well. I have an Engel 45. While it is bigger than what you need I really like it. It runs about 25-30% of the time with a 40 deg temp differential. That is the only time I have actually piad attention to it. It will go down to about -6F and hold it. Temp variation is pretty tight varying only a couple degrees. These tests weren't done under controlled conditions just an observation during use whenever I thought about it.
Bought it in 2005. gets used about 4 weeks a year with 3 weeks of that riding in the truck on the trail.
I don't have any experience with a Dometic.

Just my .02

HTH

Darrell

Drover

Adventurer
You may look into the power consumption specs as well. I have an Engel 45. While it is bigger than what you need I really like it. It runs about 25-30% of the time with a 40 deg temp differential. That is the only time I have actually piad attention to it. It will go down to about -6F and hold it. Temp variation is pretty tight varying only a couple degrees. These tests weren't done under controlled conditions just an observation during use whenever I thought about it.
Bought it in 2005. gets used about 4 weeks a year with 3 weeks of that riding in the truck on the trail.
I don't have any experience with a Dometic.

Just my .02

HTH

Darrell
I have an engel17 and national luna 52l. I use the NL when the whole family is with me, and the engel17 when I'm by myself. You'd be surprised how much you can fit in that little thing.
I would not go with waeco if you have the budget. Engel and NL have a long proven history of time in the bush.
In my opinion waeco is more of a budget buy for those who do t want to spend the money.

MOAK

Adventurer
Thanks everyone,, my original gut feeling proved me correct.. I bought the Engel yesterday. As with most well researched purchases we do get what we pay for, and after even more research and reading your replies, I too came to the opinion that the Waeco/Dometic is a budget unit lacking in quality. Better to spend the extra 150 than to regret dropping 500.. Thanks again, and happy trails !!

Sirocco

Explorer
you probably made the right choice. Go for the smallest unit you can get away with to increase the efficiency of the unit. More airspace to cool = more power drain and less efficiency, especially with a freezer.

The Dometic (or Danfoss) compressors are reliable. the Waeco's get a bashing because they draw a little bit more power, but probably more to do with their insulation not being as effective as others. I wouldn't consider them 'budget' they are still bloody good fridge/freezers. Probably the same gap between them and Engel/ARB as there is between Engel and National Luna.

G

Drover

Adventurer
Thanks everyone,, my original gut feeling proved me correct.. I bought the Engel yesterday. As with most well researched purchases we do get what we pay for, and after even more research and reading your replies, I too came to the opinion that the Waeco/Dometic is a budget unit lacking in quality. Better to spend the extra 150 than to regret dropping 500.. Thanks again, and happy trails !!

You chose wisely :)

moabian

I've had 2 Waeco Coolmatics and have been very satisfied with them. One is about 12 years old and the other is about 10. Each has been used extensively and I've never had a single problem with either. I've kept fridges in my vehicles 365 days a year for at least 12 years . For the new Jeep build, I went with the 60-qt. ARB. That size may seem like overkill to some, but I use it to transport groceries home from town in addition to trail use. I live 26 miles outside of Moab and can buy ice cream (and other frozen goods) in the middle of summer and not have to worry about anything thawing before I can get it home...even if I get called out on a long rescue or search before I can get home with the groceries. As I said, the Waecos performed flawlessly for many years...and still do. So far, I like the ARB, though I wish it opened from the side.

If you're driving a larger vehicle, check out the Fridgefreeze brand. They are expensive (about $2000 for a 60-qt) but are incredible units. I kept a Fridgefreeze in the back of my full-size pickups for several years. I think they now call their recreational units Sportfridge, reserving the Fridgefreeze name for their outrageously expensive (like $3000+) medical units. They are big and heavy...but portable fridges probably don't get any better.

One thing I do with all my fridges is wire them through a switch on the dash so I can turn them on/off from the driver's seat. I also use wireless remote temperature sensors (made for weather stations) mounted somewhere near the driver so that I can monitor the temp inside the fridge. I also have dual-battery setups to run the fridges. The newest install in the JK is 2 Odysseys using the Genesis Offroad tray that comes completely pre-wired...just install the tray and hook up the batteries.

4x4BNB

Adventurer
I have two Waeco dometic fridge freezers....a 35 and a 110... Only have had them two years. The 35 I bought used off expo....love them both...no complaints. I especially like the digital readouts and internal thermometer. On the 110 you can easily change the swing of the door, too.
I wrapped both of mine in that reflective insulation from home depot and then put them both in their respective travel bags...I haven't monitored their power consumption....
The original plan was to use one as a fridge and the other as a freezer....

MOAK

Adventurer
Engel MD 14 arrived last week, so Saturday we took a short day trip up to the hills. My wife's blue ice/ace ice pack stayed frozen, and just for kicks I filled a 1 quart gator-aide bottle with water. After 4 hours it was 90% frozen. Now, where to mount it? Currently it is riding nicely, wedged in behind the center counsel and the rear seats, offset toward the passenger side, as I need all the legroom I can get. As time goes on, we will either be pleased with that location, or it will find its way to another... Next up? dual batteries..

MOAK

Adventurer
I also have dual-battery setups to run the fridges. The newest install in the JK is 2 Odysseys using the Genesis Offroad tray that comes completely pre-wired...just install the tray and hook up the batteries.[/QUOTE]
I'll have to check out the Genesis set up. I'll be doing the dual battery set up next winter, as we are currently planning on the Maze for April of 2015. Those Odysseys are nice batteries, but I went with the Sears Platinum. Operated flawlessly in our old Rubicon for 5 years. I'm pretty sure that the Platinum is a re-badged Odyssey.. Thanks..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94