Choosing the best tire: Reviews

Ghillie_Ohio

Observer
Looking for web pages that help me keep up to date on which tire to buy for particular applications . Right now i'm looking for snow tires for extreme cold and deep snow for highway and dirt roads / gravel . Upper Michigan conditions .

JayT

I've run Cooper Discoverer M+S in the winter for the past 4 years. I have had no flats and no issues on highways and gravel roads from BC to Manitoba. Excellent traction on all road conditions from deep snow to slush to ice. I've used them in as cold as -45 again with no issues. An excellent tire for my Ram 2500.

expidboy

I bought a BF Goodrich Rugged Trail T/A as my replacement mud tire. So far It holds well in snow. But if you would install some chains it will surely holds better.

1morebike

Adventurer
go with cooper discovery at3. i grew up in michigan and would totally run this tire with out a second thought. I had the cooper st tires when i lived there and they were cool but the at3 is much better tire in my eyes.

cdthiker

Meandering Idaho
Consider the Hankook Danapro ATM
I have 40k on mine and they are still above the fifty percent mark left on the tires....
Several thousand of those miles have been in nasty winter crap up here in Idaho.
They dont even plow the roads near my house unless we get over six inches....
when I lived further north near AB I was several miles from the nearest county paved road.
that meant sometimes I was pushing through ten inches of fresh snow on top of several inches of wet slushy crap underneath

Have had them down close to 2 thousand miles of gravel hold up very well, not super awesome in deep mud
they are reviewed well for snow and if you look at the tread pattern between these and Hankooks winter/snow tire there is not much difference.
They are lacking compared to a studded tire on Glare ice, but then most things are.

I went with the 10 ply for my tacoma and have been impressed compared to the dura track , KM2, stt, BFG general grabber AT2, all of which I have run in the winter.

I will most likely put a set of studded winters on next year and roatate these out for another few years.
At the price point, they can't be beat.

Malamute

Observer
I gave up on more aggressive traction tires, a good quality all season has done almost all I need to do, and do it with less noise. I keep chains for those rare times I need more traction, like deep snow or mud.

Halligan

Adventurer
I'm running Toyo AT II Extremes and they are decent. They are quiet for the type of tread and balanced up nice with zero vibrations. My other suggestion would be Goodyear Duratracs.

1stDeuce

Explorer
I picked up a set of Hercules AT2's this winter, and their snow performance was nothing short of stellar. I think the Cooper Winter tires you were running are probably a little better, but these seem to be holding up great to the general four wheeling I've been subjecting them to. They're made by Cooper, with the same cut and chip resistant rubber compound as the STT and ST Maxx.
Initial review here.

Chris
PS, tell the UP I miss it!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior