AEV Jeep Conversions...

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
If you are handy with a wrench, you can save a lot by just buying their parts. but you don't get the cool gauges...ha ha. I love their gear, but others also have great parts.

wacker

Observer
The most frustrating thing about a hemi powered double cab is although it's not my favorite Brute, it is one of the few vehicles that checks all my boxes.

Room for kids
Room for dogs
Decent power and mileage
Pick up bed
Jeep
Unique

Sadly my inner cheapness will always prevail.

SamM

Adventurer
Overall, I like the AEV packages and parts. Spending the extra coin to get a full-on conversion done was out of my price range. I did the next best thing and bought a 2013 Jeep MOAB. It's built on a Sahara foundation. Thankfully, my adventures don't require Rubicon specs but it does have black Rubicon wheels. The MOAB package came with a front AEV winch bumper and rear AEV bumper, an AEV hood, and an AEV skid plate. It also included MOPAR rock rails. The Jeep isn't a true AEV build but it's close enough for me. I've added AEV rear mud flaps, floor mats and soon an AEV snorkel. Once I get brave enough to cut the hood. More parts will be added later, maybe even their bead lock wheels. Couldn't be happier with my fake AEV JK.

SamM

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
MOAB is an awesome package. I wish I could get one. Then I would just get the Hoop and winch from maximus 3. I wish I could find a new one.

Speed King

Overall, I like the AEV packages and parts. Spending the extra coin to get a full-on conversion done was out of my price range. I did the next best thing and bought a 2013 Jeep MOAB. It's built on a Sahara foundation. Thankfully, my adventures don't require Rubicon specs but it does have black Rubicon wheels. The MOAB package came with a front AEV winch bumper and rear AEV bumper, an AEV hood, and an AEV skid plate. It also included MOPAR rock rails. The Jeep isn't a true AEV build but it's close enough for me. I've added AEV rear mud flaps, floor mats and soon an AEV snorkel. Once I get brave enough to cut the hood. More parts will be added later, maybe even their bead lock wheels. Couldn't be happier with my fake AEV JK.

SamM

Sounds cool- like to see a pic. I wouldn't call it fake, all AEV parts are sold separate so you can add anything you want and in any quantity to any Jeep. Even their own conversions you can add or subtract things from.

Vince1

Adventurer
AEV has a new backup camera....$700. You can install a camera and CMSL for a tenth of that price (as I did). It will take a bit of time on your part, but not too difficult at all. Kind of like all AEV stuff, great plug and play if you want to spend and not ******** around, not the best choice if you are frugal or want something custom. The great thing is that they keep bringing solutions to the marketplace. I wonder what Mopar would add to the sticker for a CMSL plus camera had they come up with it.

NMBruce

Adventurer
I went AEV, but it took me 10 months to get there and most of it used.
AEV premium front bumper & skid plate & winch plate $800. Bought back in Oct, in Scottsdale, 2 miles from a friend. Have some minor nicks & stuff. Put on in March when I went to watch a couple of ball games. Needed the relocation bracket & fog light brackets, so another $100. If I had not found this, I would of gotten an ARB.
AEV rear bumper & Tire carrier, found the first week of Feb in Denver $1200, plus 8 hours driving, $110 fuel. Needed shims $45.
AEV wheels, $800 for 5 in Durango, 2 hour round trip $25 in fuel, had some nicks on them, then 2 more in PHX, $160, again picked up in March when I went there.

So if you not in a rush, there are some deals to be found, but I did look every day on craigslist and here to find them and I had some luck.

SamM

Adventurer
Here's a picture of my 2013 Jeep MOAB. And another when I picked up my 2011 Schutt Industries trailer from a Military Depot in New Castle, Delaware. Both are being converted for Overlanding use.

EDIT: The reason I called it fake, is because only the AEV converted Jeeps get the official AEV badging. Even though my Jeep was built from the factory with AEV parts it still doesn't qualify as a real AEV Jeep. It's probably as close as you can get but I can't get the badging. It doesn't really amount to a lot but it would be nice to have.

SamM

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:

aluke0510

Adventurer
I don't see how dealerships can sell these. The weight of the Jeep leaving the dealership is exceeding the manufactures weight limit of the vehicle. Thus operating outside of the design limits and an insurance company has the right to not provide coverage in the event of an accident as a result.

Besides, I don't see the point of most AEV parts. The wheels are a large and heavy cast aluminium, one can get steel wheels at the same weight. For the price of the wheels one can purchase forged aluminium wheels which will be lighter than steel and retain the same strength. Most all the other parts seem overpriced compared to equivalent quality components from other manufactures. And who really needs a Hemi anyways. I had a 2.4L in my previous Jeep and it would go anywhere with superb fuel economy for a Jeep. Jeeps aren't meant to get places fast so how fast you get from 0-60 is not in the spirt of what Jeeps are meant for. Gearing is all it takes to perform off road...

Vince1

Adventurer
I don't see how dealerships can sell these. The weight of the Jeep leaving the dealership is exceeding the manufactures weight limit of the vehicle. Thus operating outside of the design limits and an insurance company has the right to not provide coverage in the event of an accident as a result.

Besides, I don't see the point of most AEV parts. The wheels are a large and heavy cast aluminium, one can get steel wheels at the same weight. For the price of the wheels one can purchase forged aluminium wheels which will be lighter than steel and retain the same strength. Most all the other parts seem overpriced compared to equivalent quality components from other manufactures. And who really needs a Hemi anyways. I had a 2.4L in my previous Jeep and it would go anywhere with superb fuel economy for a Jeep. Jeeps aren't meant to get places fast so how fast you get from 0-60 is not in the spirt of what Jeeps are meant for. Gearing is all it takes to perform off road...

You a lawyer? Most lifts exceed manufacturers recommendations but we devils love them. F the insurance nerds.
Until you drive a hemi, please don't dismiss them. It completely changes the experience into something incredible. No offense, but you are the first I've heard that enjoyed the 2.4 off-road. I agree though, AEV charges too much for most of their products. They do, however, offer some products that nobody else offers. Maybe they are recouping some of that R&D....wouldn't you?

Last edited:

aluke0510

Adventurer
You a lawyer? Most lifts exceed manufacturers recommendations but we devils love them. F the insurance nerds.
Until you drive a hemi, please don't dismiss them. It completely changes the experience into something incredible. No offense, but you are the first I've heard that enjoyed the 2.4 off-road. I agree though, AEV charges too much for most of their products. They do, however, offer some products that nobody else offers. Maybe they are recouping some of that R&D....wouldn't you?

Well I have never heard of an insurance company throwing a case out because of a lift. I have heard of them being thrown out for being overweight. Those cases were rollovers and rear-end collisions.

Back in the days of the CJ2-5 there never was too much problem with them being underpowered with a 134 cu in carburetted engine. Jeeps weren't meant to go 80mph up a mountain pass. I have a 258 in my CJ8 and have more than enough power. The maximum recommended speed is 55mph and it is geared accordingly. Will go 65 though. I can slowly let the clutch out and start in second on a level surface with no gas. Gearing makes it work off road. I'll challenge a hemi powered Jeep with all that AEV stuff off road any day. I won't challenge it on road but what is with all these mall creeper Jeeps anyways. I see Jeeps everyday that have never even seen gravel roads.

Never driven a hemi Jeep but driven hemi dodges... Would say it was a bit too much power there and would just feel way overpowered in lighter Jeep to me.

You don't think other competitor companies don't have R&D costs either. AEV seem to be more of a status statement and more of a choosing of the cool factor rather than just a functional part...

forsakenfuture

Explorer
I will never be able to afford one of their turn key vehicles but will enjoy the bits and pieces i can afford. If i ever hit the jack pot a double cab would be the first thing I would buy.

aristobrat

Observer
I won't challenge it on road but what is with all these mall creeper Jeeps anyways. I see Jeeps everyday that have never even seen gravel roads.
The majority of Jeeps have always been mall-crawlers. Period.

What's different today (for the people that aren't mall-crawlers) is that Jeep now makes a vehicle (the Wrangler Unlimited) that can go off-road as well as be a decent family vehicle. I highly doubt many people would ever pile a family of four into a CJ2-5 and go for a 300 mile road-trip to see grandma at Christmas time. With the newer Wranglers, that's precisely what many people are doing.

As such, some people that off-road the snot out of their Wranglers also want on-road performance.

I don't see how dealerships can sell these. The weight of the Jeep leaving the dealership is exceeding the manufactures weight limit of the vehicle.
Would say it was a bit too much power there and would just feel way overpowered in lighter Jeep to me.
So a few posts ago, you were saying these Jeeps were too heavy. Now you're saying they're too light?

FWIW, a Dodge Challenger w/ a Hemi has a curb weight of 4,450 lbs.
A stock Jeep Wrangler Unlimited has a curb weight of 4,277 lbs.

AEV seem to be more of a status statement and more of a choosing of the cool factor rather than just a functional part...
They've got name recognition, like Saleen does with Mustangs, and I think some people choose solely based on that. As someone who built his own JK, if I have an AEV part, is there's precisely because of its functionality.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior