AEV Jeep Conversions...

GetOutThere

Adventurer
I will be the first to say that AEV products are quality, and fit my personal modification needs. They are my planned choice for many mods.

I will also be the first to say that those turn-key numbers are bat-**** crazy.

aluke0510

Adventurer
The majority of Jeeps have always been mall-crawlers. Period. I highly beg to differ they became more popular around the YJ model as mall crawlers. Before that they were much more utility focused and weren't what people wanted for an everyday vehicle unless they had off road in mind as well.

What's different today (for the people that aren't mall-crawlers) is that Jeep now makes a vehicle (the Wrangler Unlimited) that can go off-road as well as be a decent family vehicle. I highly doubt many people would ever pile a family of four into a CJ2-5 and go for a 300 mile road-trip to see grandma at Christmas time. With the newer Wranglers, that's precisely what many people are doing. And it is very sad to see Jeep destroy it's reputation over the years

As such, some people that off-road the snot out of their Wranglers also want on-road performance.

So a few posts ago, you were saying these Jeeps were too heavy. Now you're saying they're too light?

FWIW, a Dodge Challenger w/ a Hemi has a curb weight of 4,450 lbs.
A stock Jeep Wrangler Unlimited has a curb weight of 4,277 lbs.

I think you are desperately searching for fault in what I said so you compare putting a Hemi in a Jeep since it is lighter than a sports car. Basically saying you want to take your Jeep to the drag strip. Might I also remind you that Dodge considers it one of the best engines to power a vehicle with a 10,000lbs GVWR as opposed to the something like 5,000lbs give or take on the Wrangler

They've got name recognition, like Saleen does with Mustangs, and I think some people choose solely based on that. As someone who built his own JK, if I have an AEV part, is there's precisely because of its functionality.

Some comments in bold

aristobrat

Observer
I highly beg to differ they became more popular around the YJ model as mall crawlers. Before that they were much more utility focused and weren't what people wanted for an everyday vehicle unless they had off road in mind as well.
YJ, huh? OK, so only the last three decades of Jeeps then. LOL

And it is very sad to see Jeep destroy it's reputation over the years.
What's even sadder (to me) is to see virtually every Jeep from the "era" you're fondly referring to having to be towed to off-road parks because hardly anybody wants to drive them on-road at interstate speeds for hours. Hard to believe that Jeep would want to make vehicles that don't have that reputation.

I think you are desperately searching for fault in what I said so you compare putting a Hemi in a Jeep since it is lighter than a sports car. Basically saying you want to take your Jeep to the drag strip. Might I also remind you that Dodge considers it one of the best engines to power a vehicle with a 10,000lbs GVWR as opposed to the something like 5,000lbs give or take on the Wrangler
I'm simply pointing out that Dodge and Jeep sell Hemis in factory vehicles that are significantly lighter than 10,000lbs GVWR, and the Wrangler is in the middle of that list.

6500 GVWR = Dodge Durango
6500 GVWR = Jeep Grand Cherokee
5400 GVWR = stock Jeep Wrangler Unlimited ... how many hundreds of pounds are added from 35s, metal bumpers, tire carrier, skid, winch, etc?
5100 GVWR = Dodge Charger
4950 GVWR = Dodge Challenger

Vince1

Adventurer
I guess there will always be those who believe Jeeps should be slow, uncomfortable, and ultralight. I'll take my fast, comfortable, heavy hemi JK any day. As a 2010, it has triple the miles on it than my 2000 TJ, which I only feel like driving when my JK is up on jacks getting it's next mod, many times with AEV parts.

If it weren't for mileage standards, JKs would come from the factory with the V8. It's what it deserves. Fitting the earlier 4drs with a minivan engine was an outrage. Weight is not the issue.

Last edited:

aluke0510

Adventurer
To each his own.

But if you don't believe me about weights I ask you to take an AEV Jeep to the scales full of fuel and passengers and see just how much it weighs. You will be very surprised how fast weight adds up. Just take tires for example going from 30" to 35" can add 30lbs per wheel with changes in tire and wheel size. There is 150lbs. 120lbs for 20gal petrol. Between front and rear bumper upgrades with tire carriers etc you could be adding 100lbs. Skid plates and sliders you could be adding between 50-100lbs. 2 passengers wearing clothes, shoes, a purse, etc. could be between 300-400lbs. Seating of 4 between adults or kids could be 400-800lbs... Engine upgrades like a hemi could add on 100lbs. Say 50lbs contingency for things like motor oil, antifreeze, transmission oil, transfer case and diff oil, random small accessories...

So adding those up brings you to a range of 870lbs to 1420lbs added on to the curb weight.

Payload capacity on a stock JK Unlimited is 1000lbs. And I am willing to bet that that payload is for a base model with soft top... if so adding hard top reduces payload capacity maybe what 100-150lbs?

Now add in all your camping equipment, roof racks, lights, radios, clothing, food, water, extra fuel, hi-lift jack, fire extinguisher, seat covers, security consoles, drawers, fridges, tire repair kit, air compressor, snorkel, winch, etc. Any combination of what else you add on or you put in it.

Now consider the double cab Brutes that were shown in beginning of the thread. The modification to the Brute has to add at least another 400lbs...

Stuff adds up fast... People don't realise it most of the time but take a minute to think about the individual weight of each item you have changed or carry that is not part of the curb weight (stock empty vehicle with no fluids).

YJ, huh? OK, so only the last three decades of Jeeps then. LOL
Not quite 3 but that is close. So lets call it three out of 8 decades. Where is most of Jeeps history?

Last edited:

Septu

Explorer
And who really needs a Hemi anyways. I had a 2.4L in my previous Jeep and it would go anywhere with superb fuel economy for a Jeep. Jeeps aren't meant to get places fast so how fast you get from 0-60 is not in the spirt of what Jeeps are meant for. Gearing is all it takes to perform off road...

lol. I always laugh when people say something along these lines. Jeeps have nothing to do with going slow... if that was the case they wouldn't have put the 3.6L in the 2012+. Jeep is a platform that can be modified for whatever the owner wants. Some want to go fast. Some want to crawl. Who cares what they do with it. If I had the money I'd put an LS in it tomorrow. I still might once I sell my place. But don't call out people because they don't like the same crap you do. I hate country, but I'm not going to call you a dumb hick because you like it.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Then don't put one in. Problem solved. But why knock those that do?

Well said.

So many people spend their time on this forum criticizing others for making mods they don't want/need.

There is no need for those comments, just don't make those purchases!

-Dan

aluke0510

Adventurer
Then don't put one in. Problem solved. But why knock those that do?

Well I think you are taking things a bit out of context and getting a bit aggressive. But hey I can take it thats fine. I think you are over exaggerating what I said a lot. I don't know that I ever knocked those that do. I gave my opinion which was much more than just the Hemi. It went farther than just AEV products. It discussed over thinking and modifying a rig/platform that wasn't designed to carry all the weight being asked of it.

And who really needs a Hemi anyways. I had a 2.4L in my previous Jeep and it would go anywhere with superb fuel economy for a Jeep.

That doesn't sound like bashing to me. But maybe you feel it is. My point is I think people get too involved into what is cool/feels good/great to have and less into really thinking out a build and also considering the design limits. Half of what I am talking about is the low payload capacity of the new Wrangler compared to what so many people add on. I am very sorry to have offended you.

Well said.

So many people spend their time on this forum criticizing others for making mods they don't want/need.

There is no need for those comments, just don't make those purchases!

-Dan

If you don't want the opinion in a post that involves discussion about modifications that when put to full use in expedition style (which is what this forum is about) will result in a vehicle that is operating outside of legal limits and design limits then I don't know what to tell you. Discussion is a healthy part of life. I don't know what to tell you if you want people to agree with you all the time.

Last edited:

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
If you don't want the opinion in a post that involves discussion about modifications that when put to full use in expedition style (which is what this forum is about) will result in a vehicle that is operating outside of legal limits and design limits then I don't know what to tell you. Discussion is a healthy part of life. I don't know what to tell you if you want people to agree with you all the time.

You're absolutely right that discussion is healthy, and I welcome it.

What's not constructive is when Person A says "I bought/built/have xyz because it meets my needs" then Person B comes along and says "That's stupid/absurd/pointless because it doesn't meet my needs."

The fact the given mod doesn't meet the needs/goals/aims of person B is completely irrelevant and not in any way constructive.

-Dan

aluke0510

Adventurer
You're absolutely right that discussion is healthy, and I welcome it.

What's not constructive is when Person A says "I bought/built/have xyz because it meets my needs" then Person B comes along and says "That's stupid/absurd/pointless because it doesn't meet my needs."

The fact the given mod doesn't meet the needs/goals/aims of person B is completely irrelevant and not in any way constructive.

-Dan

Well I don't think you will find too many words like that. But I seriously encourage everybody to call their insurance agent and ask them their opinion of you operating your vehicle fully built and loaded to over 10-25% of the GVWR. Raise of hands to how many people who have considered GVWR when modifying and loading their vehicle? Which is what 85% of my discussion has been about part of which covered the Hemi...

Vince1

Adventurer
I have improved the suspension, axles, drivetrain, and brakes of my Jeep to handle extra loads. I provided, and discussed, the complete list of mods with my insurance agent and he was fine with it. He even commented on the improvements from stock and loves the fact that I simply touch up my bumpers with a rattle can. Simple physics will tell you weight can be a good thing for you in a collision with another vehicle or large wildlife. I have more of an issue with people towing heavy trailers than I ever do with their vehicular weight. And keep in mind, three large passengers in a stock JKU can easily outweigh me in my modified rig.
Most manufactures keep their vehicles light to save money on parts and to meet mileage standards. Plastic radiators, thin steel, plastic "bumpers", cheap Chinese alloys....none of these add to the quality of the vehicle.

Last edited:

aristobrat

Observer
But I seriously encourage everybody to call their insurance agent and ask them their opinion of you operating your vehicle fully built and loaded to over 10-25% of the GVWR. Raise of hands to how many people who have considered GVWR when modifying and loading their vehicle?
If the following weights are correct (I found them on http://www.automobile-catalog.com), then with the exception of the Kaiser CJ-5, it seems likely that most Jeeps modified in the last 40+ years exceeded their stock GVWR.

Code:
GVWR     CURB     PAYLOAD CAP
3750     2273     1477         1967 Kaiser-Jeep CJ-5 Universal Jeep
3750     2960     790          1977 Jeep CJ-5 304 V-8
4189     3097     1092         1987 Jeep Wrangler Hard-Top 4.2L
4354     3296     1058         1997 Jeep Wrangler Sport Hardtop 4.0
5401     4133     1268         2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 3.8 Sport
5278     4277     1001         2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 3.6 Sport

With that many decades of Jeep owners wheeling around in vehicles likely having exceeded GVWR, I did Google searches for "Jeep exceeding GVWR insurance" and "Jeep exceeding GVWR ticket", expecting to be able to read through hundreds of owners experiences on those matters. I didn't find one (but I only went through the first 3-4 pages of results). That was surprising.

Keyne

Adventurer
Personally I really like the AEV Jeeps. I think they look great compared to other modified Jeeps and appear to perform very well. Scott Brady has mentioned in some posts about the AEV lift that he was amazed how great it was off road and that he could then go on road at 80MPH driving smoothly with only a finger on the wheel. Much better than stock, has been mentioned many times as well. Gives me the impression that you can buy their kits with confidence that it will work well.

If I were in the market for a Jeep I would love to buy an AEV prepared JKU. However, they are very expensive IMO, but that could be reduced by buying used, selecting what you want/need on the Jeep (do you really need F1 leather?), by installing a lot of the modifications yourself, or buying the build over time instead of buying one of the dealer prepared models.

I can't wait to see what they do with the Dodge trucks and would love to have an AEV prepared Dodge Cummins with an FWC on the back. Too bad there isn't a company like AEV doing turn key conversions for Toyota trucks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles