throw away your bow say, machete, pocket saw, and buy this

Kottonwood

Adventurer
Hello all,

to start out I am a professional arborist and if there is one thing I hate it is dull or poor quality tools. I thought I would enlighten you all with some wisdom that all arborists know. If you would like to make wood cutting easier for the rest of your life I strongly recommend investing in a silky saw. These things are seriously as good as small chain saws, if you have never cut with one you will be blown away by it's performance. The blades are made of japanese ultra hardened steel and are sharpened using a special three face method. For the professional who uses this saw everyday all day the blades last a year or two, they are nearly impossibile to sharpen so they always need to be replaced instead. For the average camper/outdoorsman these should last a life time... I retire my work blades to become camping blades. If you are scared off by the initial price samuri are a cheap alternative, I have included links to both. The saws come in a wide variety of shapes and sized and each person will have their preference. The longer ones are obviously better for cutting bigger wood, bucking an 8 inch long with these saws is actually quite possible and I do things like that frequently, along with felling dead trees, when camping. the curved blades are great for cutting limbs and smaller wood quickly however, it makes cutting felling cuts difficult. anyways, I strongly recommend everyone get one of these for their kit and post up some reviews here!

http://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?category_id=154&item=1657

http://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?category_id=318&item=1565

I posted links of what I consider to be the best overall camping saw ever and the best value saw. If you look through the website there are many more options.

Kottonwood

Adventurer
One more note for those interested. These saws only cut on the pull stroke. Also the main difference between the samuri and the silky is how long they last. If you want to buy a saw for life get a silky.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior