Camper mounted to frame pics?

Trav0302

Observer
Let me explain this so no one gets confused. I've seen campers etc mounted without a truck box usually on a flatbed of some kind. What I'm looking for is a truck camper mounted to basically the frame. I know theirs more to this then just bolting it down. But I would like to see some pics of a normal truck camper mounted without the box. Hope I explained that well enough.

Thanks for looking everyone!

Jfet

Adventurer
There may be an issue with the cabover section of an off the shelf truck camper clearing the truck cab if mounted directly to the frame.

98dango

Expedition Leader
You need 6-8" on a standard frame to clear the cab. A storage box below the camper could fix that. Your also going to want some type of fender to protect the camper from tire spray. A tubular style flat bed with a pull out drawer has been my plan for a while.

98dango

Expedition Leader
I can't draw to save my skin but if you used some 6-8" channel iron as rails on top of the frame with plates welded to the iron and then bolted to your frame. This would give you a good base put cross support on the top to help the floor. Then weld some outer protection to that as in wheel wells and such. You could still remove the camper and have a truck if need be. The channel iron would give you a good base for a storage unit.

This idea woke me up so if figured I should share with you.

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
Read over Hackney's ideas on pivoting frames:
three point, single point to the front.
three point, single point to the rear.
four point diamond shape, solid in the middle, pivot on the ends.
All the European Camping Trucks use the pivot system of one kind or another.
If you don't have a way to keep the camper absolutely flat when traversing axle twisting roads, you will eventually pull the camper apart.
I use a quick and dirty way to keep from pulling everything to bits (over time). When i encounter axle-twisting roads or trails, I loosen the front tie downs a little bit and loosen the rear tie downs a lot, to the point of lots of slack. Why? Because when the frame twists on my Dodge (a short bed twists less than a long bed) it twists the bed also. To alleviate the pull on the tie downs, i let one side or the other on the rear lift off the bed a little to keep the TC frame from twisting. My Lance has 2/3's of the weight toward the front of the floor of the TC. This is the end i do not want to lift. It should follow the front part of the frame/bed attachments. The rear, being a lot lighter, is free to lift...one side or the other while the frame twist away underneath. The other Major component of this system is using (Lance or other) camper guides. These little triangles keep the box from moving side to side allowing you to have the tie downs looser with less pressure without the box sliding side to side and letting the shear walls and bottom framing of the camper keep things straight.

or off camber:

I personally think a camper on a flat bed is a better idea than going without a bed at all. A truck bed is no match for the twisting of the truck frame. It just follows orders from below. In order to work even on a pop-up must be on a pivot system. Another idea I had was to use an Airstream or other metal shelled trailer body, with its built under framing on very long trucks, like LoRoad has. Still would have to have in a pivot system.
There is one other way. On Military trucks, like 10WD, there is a sub-frame which is attached with long bolts that go thru a flange welded on both parts of the frame. A guy on this very forum showed pix. Above the top flange the bolt protrudes a ways up, and has a stiff spring on the shaft that compresses if the two parts of the frame pull apart as in twisty axles. It is a tried and true system.
regards, as always, jefe

Last edited:

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Agreed.

A camper bolted right to the chassis will be twisted into pieced the first time it gets off the pavement.

Here is some visuals.... before starting on my custom flatbed camper, I solved the chassis flex issue with a 3-point pivot bed mount.

Before 3-point. Notice the bed twisting. And this is no light duty flatbed.

02.jpg

After 3-point. bed remains flat

45.jpg

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
The camper is going to need to be mounted on a subframe that is isolated from the vehicle chassis

There are a variety of ways to do this - 3 point, 4 point, and spring mounts

box_mounts_03.jpg

Cascadian

Observer
Looking good IdaSHO!

Any pics of how you setup the three point? Thanks.

Never mind the question, found it: http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...h-of-the-quot-perfect-quot-camper-frame/page1

Agreed.

A camper bolted right to the chassis will be twisted into pieced the first time it gets off the pavement.

Here is some visuals.... before starting on my custom flatbed camper, I solved the chassis flex issue with a 3-point pivot bed mount.

Before 3-point. Notice the bed twisting. And this is no light duty flatbed.

After 3-point. bed remains flat

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne