Tin Top Pop Top Samurai Build

Starting a new build as an interim rig while I build a new camper to replace MegAmbo, which I recently sold... going to build this rig very quickly over the next few weeks in order to have something different to camp in this spring.. If all goes to plan I'll be starting with a mint 86' Tin Top Samurai. to be acquired Wednesday or Thursday. Going build a custom aluminum pop top for it with goretex fabric and have the bed be able to stack towards the front in three pieces to allow standing room in fowl weather.. Fridge/ freezer on the rear swingout and some scepter cans for water..the rest of the kit will just be my backpacking gear in cabinets..

As for the Samurai, it will be getting the works. Shackle reversal, 33" toyo m/t's, 6.5:1 t-case gears, twinstick conversion,centerforce clutch, axle truss'/ skids, belly skid, 4340 birfields and shafts, rear disc brake conversion, lockers front and rear, OBA, Bumpers, winch, etc... Oh, and to help with that highway power a Camden SUPERCHARGER..

Attachments

• sami_camper_black_iso.jpg
    sami_camper_black_iso.jpg
    508 KB · Views: 240
  • sami_camper_black_rear.jpg
    sami_camper_black_rear.jpg
    420.5 KB · Views: 208
  • sami_camper_black_front iso.jpg
    sami_camper_black_front iso.jpg
    422 KB · Views: 200

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Wait, how long is a Samurai roof? I wouldn't guess it'd be long enough for a bed without a bit of cab-over (similar to the Flip-pac shortbed cabover)

Wait, how long is a Samurai roof? I wouldn't guess it'd be long enough for a bed without a bit of cab-over (similar to the Flip-pac shortbed cabover)

x2

This is exactly what I was thinking!

I like the idea, It would be great if it works out (perhaps you already researched the specs of the rood sizing)!

I would be worried about the fridge being on the back like that as well, perhaps you could move it into the cab in the rear and give it a cushion on top and make it into a seat for when the weather is bad, the tops up, and you are trying to stay out of the weather... just an idea

Last edited:
x2

This is exactly what I was thinking!

I like the idea, It would be great if it works out (perhaps you already researched the specs of the rood sizing)!

I would be worried about the fridge being on the back like that as well, perhaps you could move it into the cab in the rear and give it a cushion on top and make it into a seat for when the weather is bad, the tops up, and you are trying to stay out of the weather... just an idea

Roof size is confirmed as fine. For Me.. maybe not everyone's cake.. as for the fridge be on the back. there simply is no room on the inside. It physically will fit in the aisle in the rear but would take up most of it.. I've spoken to ARB and they obviously cant say that the fridge can get wet but they did tell me they've had one in the back of there company truck outside for two year... In the Pacific Northwest.. and thats good enough for me.:coffeedrink:

zukrider

Explorer
if your open for some input, ive had 9 sami's. dont waste your time with a shackle reversal. go with YJ springs. your best bang for buck will be a Trailtough missing link kit with new 6 leaf YJ's

here http://www.trailtough.com/index.php...category_id=7&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=53

stay away from Calmini. also, really iffy service from Lowrangeoffroad.com. when its good its great , but.......

Also, the twinstick is superfluous and honestly just makes shifting more difficult. i woudnt waste the money. a camden is a neat idea, but your better off with a 16v swap from a sidekick, this will also improve resale value over a carbed Camden. 6.5's are the Bee's Knee's. with stock axle gears, work perfect for 33's.

Love the idea! Please for the love of 4x4's post this on zukikrawlers.com. they are thee zuk site to be a part of. im zukrider there as well.

krl81

Adventurer
Oooo! Need to follow this closely since I'm doing a not so hardcore Jimny build. :) Love the idea!

steelheadbum

Adventurer
if your open for some input, ive had 9 sami's. dont waste your time with a shackle reversal. go with YJ springs. your best bang for buck will be a Trailtough missing link kit with new 6 leaf YJ's

2nd this all the way.....SPOA with YJ conversion is all you would need!! Also 4.9.1 transfer gears is all you need to run 31's, I had 33's on my last Sami w/4.56 grs and was not great for Hwy use:banghead:. The tin top Sami just doesn't have the roof integrity to support yr weight its very thin you would be much better off with a roof top tent mounted on safari rack or a Maggiolina roof top.

Here's my last Sami
u8are5ym.jpg

buck

The Redneck Mexican
2002 E350 7.3 PSD 4x4 8inch lift pop top conversion....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles