Late Model Chevy 1500 options for old Viking Popup?

jage

Observer
This is about the truck that goes under the camper, so I hope this is the appropriate forum. I'm a van guy and this is for my dad, so consider me clueless about Chevy and 1/2 tons and slide in truck campers!

My dad is set on getting a late model 4x4 gas 1500 Chevy to go under his 80's viking slide in. The slide in is 1100lbs dry weight. He has currently got a Diesel and wants to get away from it- trying to decide between a 6-cyl and V8, gas only. Looking primarily for mileage, it will never tow anything and always have the slide in. He is thinking $20,000ish and been looking at a 2012 model.

So very general questions:
Is the late model 1500 enough of a truck for the Viking?
Is the V6 enough engine, or will it suffer gas mileage from the camper? (consider driving across windy Kansas and over the Rockies, never above 65)
Are there years of this truck to avoid? (read some bad things about 2012s bucking and just started research)
Years to look for? (right before they ruined everything by changing the _______ )
And finally, what is going to be needed to attach this old Viking camper to the new-fangled tinfoil bed?

Thanks much, any advice is appreciated!

DSCF4735.jpg

brian90744

American Trekker
1500 is too light.

best to stay with the diesel. 1100lbs unit needs a minimum 3/4 ton. you will not get better MPG with a small/lighter gas truck. just my opinion,
brian

Alexleno

AlexLeno
My Colorado is rated at about 1500 pounds I would imagine a 1500 v6 would be fine

Sent from my C6522N using Tapatalk

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I would think the 1500 chassis/brakes would be overwhelmed by a wet Viking.
V-6 is definitely out.
3/4 ton recommended and make sure tires are e-rated. Brakes must be in top shape especially with an auto.

wirenut

Adventurer
I can't imagine purposefully getting a 1500 to haul a TC. I did it for a while because I bought a camper before I weighed it. Never again.
That 1100 pounds of dry weight will probably be at least 1600 pounds with water, propane, food, gear, etc. Add to that a driver and passenger(s) in the truck. Then you've got possible truck accessories, tools, pets, etc. I suspect you'll be putting nearly 2,000 pounds into the truck before you know it.
I don't see how a 2500 truck would have a fuel mileage penalty over a 1500 since your going to have the camper in the bed all the time. The extra height, width, and reduced aerodynamics of the camper will probably equalize out what the smaller 5.3 V8 of the 1500 might have possibly gained. Typically a larger engine not working very hard will get better mileage than a smaller engine working very hard.
If the truck he has now works I'd stick with that. Otherwise a 2500 with the 6.0 would be a great truck for that rig.

Given that you already have this camper you have a great opportunity. Instead of going by meaningless dry weight (who hauls an empty camper?) you can get an actual weight. I'd take the whole rig loaded like normal to a scale and weigh it. Then, go remove it from the truck (yeah, I know, that's a pain. But, I remove my camper after every trip because I need the truck for work.) and weight the truck. Then you'll know how much you're toting around. Don't forget to add in the weight of any people and accessories for the new truck.

Last edited:

MNtraveler

Observer
Wirenut hit it. I had a late 70's Viking, and I can tell you it weighed more than 1100lbs. More like 1500-1600 DRY.I had mine on a diesel 3/4 ton and really didn't worry about it. I am originally from Kansas and am familiar with the never ending wind. I have also driven some of the mountain areas of Colorado, and followed someone in an overloaded gasser. Do your dad a favor.....stay with the 3/4 ton diesel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior