2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited "Squatch"

toxicity_27

Adventurer
So there was quite a bit of salt built up on the driver's side carpet in Squatch from this winter. Finally got around to taking the carpet out from the front seats and noticed it was a bit damp on the driver's side. Decided to pull the carpet from the back as well. Ther re was a puddle behind the passenger seat and dirt and bugs everywhere. Got that all cleaned up and now I'm letting the carpet dry out. It's amazing how easy it was to take the carpet out, though I'm not looking forward to putting it back in.

I've been dealing with some health issues so a lot of the planned mods have been put on hold for a while, though I'm starting to do more research on different parts. I'll add them to the list on the first page when I get them all figured out.

I still haven't gotten around to installing my Sasquatch Research Team decal either. It seems like it's raining everyday here.

toxicity_27

Adventurer
Updated my list finally. I think I finally have everything. I'm going to be doing another list as far as equipment goes that isn't mounted directly to Squatch. I'm kind of enjoying all of the research that goes into finding the parts that I think would work best. Eventually I'm going to put the list in order of which I want to add first. If you feel I'm missing anything on my list, or should switch one part out for another let me know!

toxicity_27

Adventurer
While not exactly overlanding, I did get a couple of camping trips to state parks in. Here are some pictures from our trips.

Itasca State Park 6/13-6/15. Weather on Friday wasn't too bad. There were lots of army worms around, dropping out of the trees. Rained that night. Saturday was overcast all day, my parents came up and visited for a few hours. Rained Saturday night through Sunday so we got the joy of packing up in the rain.

All packed up. We need to do a bit better job and seeing what we need to bring and what we don't. We brought fishing gear both times we went camping and didn't use it either time.

Campsite wasn't too bad. Was quite muddy after it rained though.

As you can see the Mississippi Headwaters were quite high. I've been to Itasca State Park 20+ times and I can't ever remember seeing it this high.

St. Croix State Park 8/8-8/10. Weather was gorgeous here. 75-80+ each day. Clear skies, and the bugs weren't too bad.

Climbed the fire tower and this is the view we were treated to.

Hiked to the old Yellow Banks CCC Camp.

Loved our campsite. The only neighbors that were close enough to hear were behind us.

Last edited:

toxicity_27

Adventurer
Well I've been going back and forth with this decision. I'm thinking of getting rid of this Jeep, and getting a 2016 JKU Rubicon. I'd keep the soft top from my current Jeep, and take a few things off for the new one. Just trying to decide if it makes sense. I've got a huge list of things I would want to add to the current Jeep, but if I got the Rubicon it would negate the expense of lockers.

A few of the reasons I'm thinking of doing this is because of the 4.1:1 transfer case, 4.10 gear ratio, lockers, D44 up front, and heated seats. I would probably keep it a manual, and just tell my girlfriend that she needs to learn how to drive it (of course she would learn on the old one). I'd most likely order one, like I did with this one, and with the math that I've been doing the payment would be about the same, maybe even a little less. Also then I could build it from the ground up instead of financing the lift, wheels and tires all at once.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

HRPINDC

Adventurer
If that's your list of mods on page one, I think you'd be nuts to trade it. The things you mention wanting in a Rubi seem minor compared to what you've already done. Re-gearing and adding lockers aren't a big deal, and heated seats are easy. If you're building an overlanding rig, I don't think the Rubi transfer case is all that necessary and while the Dana 44 would be nice, again if you're not rock crawling is it really that important? You've got a pretty robust build there, I wouldn't throw that all away. I can't imagine that you'll recoup your expenses. Good luck with your decision.

toxicity_27

Adventurer
If that's your list of mods on page one, I think you'd be nuts to trade it. The things you mention wanting in a Rubi seem minor compared to what you've already done. Re-gearing and adding lockers aren't a big deal, and heated seats are easy. If you're building an overlanding rig, I don't think the Rubi transfer case is all that necessary and while the Dana 44 would be nice, again if you're not rock crawling is it really that important? You've got a pretty robust build there, I wouldn't throw that all away. I can't imagine that you'll recoup your expenses. Good luck with your decision.

The list is what I would like to add. There's a list of what I've done to it as well, but it's not nearly as long. I do rock crawl as well, as most of my Jeep buddies do, so the 4.1:1 transfer case would come in handy.

bry71518

Hey Neighbor

Hey Josh, I'm in MN as well... in fact, I feel like I've seen your rig a few times.

I'm not nearly at the point where you are, but one day hope to do a few upgrades to my '10 JKU Rubicon. Kids, Wife, Did I mention Kids... have sort of hampered my upgrade plans...

Anyway, Just checking in, giving a Jeep wave from Elk River, MN!

Great Build. I'd say you've got something perhaps a little more capable than a Rubi... Juts a couple more little things and you'll be there. I'd say keep what you have and keep dumping money, I mean enjoying it!

Bryan

toxicity_27

Adventurer
Hey Josh, I'm in MN as well... in fact, I feel like I've seen your rig a few times.

I'm not nearly at the point where you are, but one day hope to do a few upgrades to my '10 JKU Rubicon. Kids, Wife, Did I mention Kids... have sort of hampered my upgrade plans...

Anyway, Just checking in, giving a Jeep wave from Elk River, MN!

Great Build. I'd say you've got something perhaps a little more capable than a Rubi... Juts a couple more little things and you'll be there. I'd say keep what you have and keep dumping money, I mean enjoying it!

Bryan

Hey Bryan, thanks for the feedback. I used to live up by Elk River so you may have seen my Jeep around there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles