16" or 19.5" wheels and tires?

westyss

Explorer
Here's a few pictures and links to a blog showing why singles are a good idea when travelling on rough roads, in the blog he had several episodes of rocks caught between the tires, one event caused enough sidewall damage that the tire was not repairable.

By the way it's a good read in general, from build to travel as he does a good job of describing both.

This first image shows the sidewall damage that necessitated purchasing a new tire, maybe around $1000.
IMG_3023.JPG

IMG_3157.JPG

http://jimthetruck.blogspot.ca/2014/07/the-san-juan-scenic-skyway.html

http://jimthetruck.blogspot.ca/2014/07/out-of-utah-and-into-colorado-how-to.html

IcedVolvo

Observer
The problem with all the extrapolations of tyre pressure recommendation for 19.5 inch tyres is that the recommendation would have pressures down around 45psi for a 2100kg axle load.

See that attached spreadsheets (it wont let me load the OpenOffice one so had to convert to xls, you might not see it properly).

This spreadsheet has exponential extrapolations for a number of different tyres down into the range of the NPS 300 which has approximately 2100kg (4620lbs) on the front axle or 1100kg (2320lbs) per tyre.

Attachments

• tyrePressures 2.xls
    15.5 KB · Views: 25

Butch1979

Family Adventurer
What's the cost difference in these two wheel sizes? I keeping hearing about the advantages of singles, but cant seem to find a breakdown on what's needed to swap them and the avg cost.

Thanks for any assistance getting some traction ;)

Butch

IcedVolvo

Observer
What's the cost difference in these two wheel sizes? I keeping hearing about the advantages of singles, but cant seem to find a breakdown on what's needed to swap them and the avg cost.

Thanks for any assistance getting some traction ;)

Butch

19.5" rims are ~$500 each for steel and $650 for aluminium
19.5" tyres range from $300 (Aeolus) to $650 each (Michelin)

Speedo modifications ~$500
Engineer certification $500

Will need to modify the steps at the front ~$300
May need to modify the rear for clearance
May need to optimise front brakes and do vacuum tank modifications

Have no idea whats required for 16/16.5 change

iced

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Will need to modify the steps at the front ~$300

May not be necessary on all FG models.
On my FG84 the mudguards were trimmed a bit, but the steps were not touched.

The biggest difference between 19.5" and 16" wheels/tyres is their load rating, well.... in Australia it definitely is.
I don't know of any 16" singles that are rated (legally) for the maximum GVM of these trucks.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
May not be necessary on all FG models.
On my FG84 the mudguards were trimmed a bit, but the steps were not touched.

The biggest difference between 19.5" and 16" wheels/tyres is their load rating, well.... in Australia it definitely is.
I don't know of any 16" singles that are rated (legally) for the maximum GVM of these trucks.

I used a sledgehammer and big pry bar to encourage the steps forward about 2 inches. It took me maybe 5 minutes and cost nothing.

I used a jigsaw to trim the wheel arches. It took about an hour and cost nothing.

I didn't do a speedo modification, If I care I use the one on my GPS - but I've never really had an issue speeding in my Fuso. :)

...and of course I'm in the USA so none of that certification nonsense. :)

Butch1979

Family Adventurer
Thanks guys! I plan to run the tires we have until they are in need of replacement, but want to have a plan in place when the the time comes around.

I'm finding that the ability to fix a flat (change the tire) on a set of duals with these rigs is significantly more difficult than my normal vehicle... Just finding breaker bars and sockets large enough has been tough.

I'm starting to think that running singles would make some of that less complicated.

Cheers

Butch

IcedVolvo

Observer
...and of course I'm in the USA so none of that certification nonsense. :)

I should know the answer to this having lived in Seattle for 7 years but I travelled mostly by ferry to get to work and rented cars when I needed them but basically are u saying u can make any mods to any vehicle and not have to get engineer certification as to its safety?

Aussie Iron

Explorer

On my 2000 model Canter my 16" singles are rated (legally) for my max GVM but this may not be with all Canters. Even though it is derated (to 4495kg ) the tyres are still rated at max GVM (Canter specs).

Dan.

dlh62c

Explorer
Thanks guys! I plan to run the tires we have until they are in need of replacement, but want to have a plan in place when the the time comes around.

I'm finding that the ability to fix a flat (change the tire) on a set of duals with these rigs is significantly more difficult than my normal vehicle... Just finding breaker bars and sockets large enough has been tough.

I'm starting to think that running singles would make some of that less complicated.

Sounds like a plan!

CheaterWrench sells a torque multiplier with an extension and socket to reach the rear Budd nuts on a Fuso Canter.

Rocks can get stuck between the rear duals. Refrain from driving 100 miles with it stuck there. Utilizing a spotter when traveling a rough technical track can also prove helpful.

Here's a method on how to remove a rock stuck between rear duals wheels; Remove a Rock from Dual Tires

Tips for driving on the beach can be found at the TruckCamperMagazine site.

Duals tend to load up with mud, know what your driving into.

20120529_2591.jpg 20120529_2597.jpg 20120623_2961.jpg

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I should know the answer to this having lived in Seattle for 7 years but I travelled mostly by ferry to get to work and rented cars when I needed them but basically are u saying u can make any mods to any vehicle and not have to get engineer certification as to its safety?

pretty much, yes. Your vehicle, you can do what you want with it.

In North Carolina (my home state) there is an annual vehicle inspection requirement. They make sure that the tires aren't bald, the headlights work, the horn works, and at least one brake light works. Stuff like that.

Howard70

Adventurer
pretty much, yes. Your vehicle, you can do what you want with it.

In North Carolina (my home state) there is an annual vehicle inspection requirement. They make sure that the tires aren't bald, the headlights work, the horn works, and at least one brake light works. Stuff like that.

I'm pretty sure that Pugslyyy is correct in terms of driving the vehicle. However, I have heard that some insurance companies may resist paying claims (including liability) if the vehicle was over the GVW. It could be worth checking with your carrier in that regard.

Howard

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles