16" or 19.5" wheels and tires?

Deansco

Observer
I have placed an order for a Host Outback (I will post my experiences once I take delivery) and am trying to make a decision about wheels and tires. The GVW is 14,050 and I do not intend to exceed it but as mentioned in another thread sometimes the terrain will move the load to one or more wheels/tire (like Westyss' avatar). I am estimating 85% of my driving will be highway or improved roads and the rest forest service roads or light off road. Sportsmobile/ATW offers 19.5' wheels with Toyo M608Z 285 70R 19.5 and Host is offering Cooper Discovery STT LT 315 75R 16. Price and size are almost identical. The load rating for the 19.5" package is much higher but it has a shorter sidewall. The load rating of the 16' tire is 3860 lbs. Is that enough? I assume the ride of the 16" will be better but am looking for real life experience. Anyone run both and have an opinion? With the 19.5" will airing down for sand etc give me the same benefit or will the shorter side wall reduce the benefit? Clearly the larger wheels will weigh more, is that a factor? Thanks for any input.

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
Congratulations on the Host order ! Are you getting a double slide-out or the new triple slide-out?
I run 325/80-16 Faulken Wildpeak A/Ts (listed as 36.3" x 13.1" but are 37" in real life) on my '02 and love them (they have a less aggressive pattern then the Coopers). They are very quiet and very smooth (they take about 10 minutes to warm up for the best ride).
The only down side is they are rated at 3525 lbs (so 335 lbs per tire less then the Coopers), so I have to watch my GVW (in regards to the rear axle). I was planning on staying light(er) anyway, so that is not too big of limiting factor to me. If it were me on a brand new truck, I'd go with the 19.5 Toyo set-up so you will not be tire limited on your weight. Those that run the Toyo (I'm sure they will weight in) sure seem to love them

Deansco

Observer
Are you getting a double slide-out or the new triple slide-out?

Mog, Thanks! I am getting the new side entry (triple slide) but without the third slide. We also changed the dinette slightly. Expect delivery end of April or beginning of May. I will post pictures then.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Congrats on getting the Fuso!

No way would I go with the 16 inch rim.

Why? The rear axle is rated for 9,480 pounds. Front axle 5,730 pounds. So with a 3,860 pound tire you are maxed out at 5730+3860+3860=13450 - and even though the GCWR is 21,765 you have no headroom on the rear axle to have any tongue weight for towing.

If you run the Toyos you have a rim that can handle 13,227 pounds and a tire that can handle 6,393 pounds. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
Mog, Thanks! I am getting the new side entry (triple slide) but without the third slide. We also changed the dinette slightly. Expect delivery end of April or beginning of May. I will post pictures then.
Awesome. I got to see the triple (as a slide-in) on my tour of the Host factory and could not get over how much room it had. Do you think you will make it down to the Overland Expo in May if you have it by then?
-
Back to wheels. The 16s (using my Falken as an example) will air down much better as they are D rated 8 ply, while the Toyo are H rated 16 ply. Reports on the Expo Forum here are positive:
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/112785-Pugsly-s-FG-rebuild-thread/page15?highlight=toyo
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/117874-19-5-quot-Offroad-Tyres-in-Australia?highlight=toyo
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/94264-two-tire-questions?highlight=toyo
I will say that going from the stock (DRW) to the 'soft' Super Singles completely changed the ride of my truck. It is very smooth and the harsh bumps have been smoothed out so much I might leave everything else alone suspension wise. I give credit to the tall side walls (10.25" for mine compared to 7.85" for the Toyo) and lower tire pressure (max for mine is 55psi, which is what I run). I'm at 10,000 lbs (give or take) empty and at 12,000 lbs full loaded so with mine limit at 12,780 (5,730+3525+3525) I still have some 'cush'. The only thing I tow is flat towing a Meyers Manx to the dunes, so no added tongue weight. Again, for a new truck, I'd go with the 19.5s and the Toyo tires.

Last edited:

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
This is an example of why you go with super singles - notice how front and rear track perfectly. If I were still on duallies it would be constantly shimmying back and forth on the track laid by the front axle.

1499534_10152260122278340_1677875236_n.jpg

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Or you could get Michelin 325/85R16 XML. 38.7" tall, 5070 lb at only 65 psi.

Charlie

Hi Charlie,

There are several issues fitting XML's to Fusos. Typically they are expensive (about double the cost of a 19.5" Toyo in Australia), hard to get (again in Australia) and offer poor mileage if driven anywhere near bitumen but the biggest issues are not with the XML tyres rather with fitting them to the truck. This requires a great deal of modification to allow clearance around the front steps and the steering linkages.....but the biggest issue we have found is rim selection. There just doesn't seem to be anyone that can supply a 16" rim (wide enough for the XML's) with enough load rating to match the cornering stresses of this size truck. As a result both of the Fuso trucks we fitted XML's to have gladly converted to 19.5" rims after constant rim failures with the XML's.

There is also VERY tall gearing associated with XMLs which honestly I didn't mind.

We also saw a tyre failure when the tread peeled off one. I am certain this was due to overheating and as you know, this could have been a result of any number of factors so don't get me wrong.....I am definitely not implying a fault with these tyres. Just like the XZL's on your U500, they are obviously a fantastic bit of kit when used in the right application.

This picture showing the complete removal of the lower cab step and the upper step here being reshaped.
image.jpg

image.jpg

Kind regards
John.

Last edited:

alan

Explorer
At the end of the day it depends on your vehicle weight, a heavy fuso needs heavy truck wheels and heavy tyres, a light Fuso well 16" with large tyres is certainly cheaper, easier to change, better ride, better handling, easier to balance.

dlh62c

Explorer
I have placed an order for a Host Outback (I will post my experiences once I take delivery).....

WhoooooBuddy..........Congratulations on placing the order Dean.

Sorry for the off topic questions:

Did you order it with a 2014 or 2015 Fuso FG?

Did you test drive the Duonic transmission and try out the creep function?

What axle ratio did you get, the 5.285 or the 5.714?

Keep in mind, the increased diameter wheel and tire raises the final drive ratio, lowers cruise rpm and improves on-pavement fuel economy. US Mitsubishi seems to be pushing the 5.714 axle ratio with the Duonic transmission on the FG's.

Can't wait for the review!

Last edited:

Deansco

Observer
Did you order it with a 2014 or 2015 Fuso FG?

Did you test drive the Duonic transmission and try out the creep function?

What axle ratio did you get, the 5.285 or the 5.714?

I do not know if I am getting a 2014 or 2015. I can find no information on model changes. Does anyone have that information? I did test drive the Duonic transmission and generally liked it. When going up a fairly steep hill I found the manual mode to be more useful. I did drive the truck in first gear with no accelerator pedal applied (I did not realize it was called creep function). It crawled along slowly (I could easily walk faster) but we were on a paved road. I did not drive it on any off-road situations. I also don't know what axle ratio I am getting. Host did not offer me any choices on this. I don't know what ratio I drove either. I drove both the ATW/Sportmobile Alpha and the Host and I am not even sure if they were the same. Any thoughts on this in case I do have a choice?

Deansco

Observer
Do you think you will make it down to the Overland Expo in May if you have it by then?

Unfortunately not. My son runs track and the Wyoming State High School meet is always that same weekend. Hopefully in 2015 I will make it.

LoupGarou

.....I am estimating 85% of my driving will be highway or improved roads and the rest forest service roads or light off road.

If this is your plan and you don't plan to travel with groups of hardcore off-roaders, why not stick with the duals?

There's quite a bit of pressure to switch to singles, but duals can still take you a lot of places. SWR conversions are not cheap, the money spent can buy a lot of OEM tires and diesel fuel.

The truck will be delivered with duals, do you plan to keep the set of wheels and tires or will Host credit you something for them?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles