Garmin 496 vs. iPad Mini?

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
Ok, Guys:
Please save me from the "didn't you search" comments. If you are aware of a link that answers my questions, just simply post it please.

I have a Garmin 496. If you are familiar with these it has of course navigation, but also has live doppler weather radar overlay to the navigation. It also has XM radio, but since I already have it in my truck, it stays mute on the radio function but it is required to have the entire package for the device to work (so I am told) - hence the radio function is redundant.

Here is the question: These units even used fetch a pretty high dollar from pilots looking for them (getting harder to find). Mine is in perfect condition.
I have, however gotten used to the weather function and have even used it while off road during severe weather season to know when it was time to pack it in! (used it a great deal last year while camping in remote NC during what had to have been one of the rainiest seasons ever!)

Is there anything offered on the iPad mini that can come close to replicating what I have in the Garmin 496? Nav with weather overlay?

Thanks for any help and feedback.
D

sickchilly

Observer
Not that I've found. There are great separate apps, but none that put both together well. Also remember that there is no satellite convenience with the iPad. So you'll have to be in cellular data or Wi-Fi range to get weather updates.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
that series of garmin is the only garmin GPS I would consider now. I have a Dakota 10, and I actually can't find it. that's how long since I have used it. Im looking for a 396/496 to use on my Motorcycle, atv and UTV. I used the montana and its ok, just a larger version of the Dakota. I may be forced to use the montana if I cannot find a x96 series GPS locally.

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
Clarifying: I own a Garmin 478 (not 496). I am unsure the difference, but wanted to point that out. My eyes are getting older! :)

D

kojackJKU

still in the same series. I maybe talking about the 478 as well. its what my buddy and his wife ran on their ktm for the trip to newfoundland. it was an awesome GPS system.

robgendreau

Explorer
That GPS is, IIRC, sort of heavy on marine features, with attachment for sonar and such, maybe radar?, and marine charts. I think I used one on a boat. Not sure if it has the aviation features.

I agree with sickchilly; I haven't seen anything on iOS (or Android) that does really good live weather over a good mapping/navigation app. In GaiaGPS you can switch to a pane that gives you weather and forecasts at your site, and you can also overlay NextRad radar, animated. In Trimble's map apps with an Elite subscription you can get weather overlays for temp, wind speed, cloud cover and I think doppler. But it's color coded, and not super useful since it's just colors and not points

There are some really good weather apps, however, that show not only official weather stations but RAWS, amateur sites, etc. I especially like Wundermap. Way better than even what I've seen on Garmin's IMHO for land use. But you're stuck with the default maps, usually terrain, sat or street. I just switch back and forth; if I'm not sailing it's just not that critical that I have both together. And the live radar in GaiaGPS just sorta gets in the way (I'd probably feel different if I lived in Tornado Alley).

And of course on the reasons for the price of the Garmin is that live XM weather (the aviation one, not that regular news channel weather). Nothing comparable in a smartphone or tablet.

kojackJKU

the issue is once you loose signal, the ipad is just a gps then. You cannot connect to the weather info out of mobile range.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz