What to look for 1996 LR Discovery 1

intothewild

Adventurer
Gentlemen, I have been looking for a new rig, (primarily Jeeps/4runners etc), but stumbled upon a 1996 LR Disco 1 that has intrigued me. Seems to be in very good shape, the price is pretty good. Has 125k miles, the owner has been communicating and very open upfront with me about the rig and I am having my dad check it out tomorrow (It's in AZ, I'm in WA).

I have never owned a LR, and honestly don't know a lot about them. I would be flying to AZ, and driving it 1500 miles back to Arizona. The owner says he wouldn't hesitate to make the drive in it as it sits. I am turning to the experts here on expo for advice as to what to watch out for, what are common failures? It seems like I always hear about LR's having mechanical issues, so I am a bit leary, but on the other hand I have always really liked them, just never learned much about them!

So, what do you guys say? What are the critical questions to ask, and items to check out?

THANKS!:smiley_drive:

intothewild

Adventurer
Not everybody has time to do an extensive search, I was just hoping for a quick summary of common issues. Thanks for your help!

Howski

Doing a brief search would yield results quicker than waiting on responses in this thread. This has really been covered 1000 times

David Harris

Expedition Leader
On the search, enter your search terms in Google with the words "Expedition Portal" and you will get more than the search function here.

intothewild

Adventurer
Guys,I understand how to search I am not new to the forums. I have relied heavily on using the search in the past,which is why I have been a member for so long and my post count is so low still. I guess it would have helped to mention I only have access to my iPhone to access the forum at the moment, it's ok for posting, but for searching it is not the best tool. 3 different people have replied and not one has given me any help, never seen this issue on other sections of the forum. In rebuttal to "you can search faster than waiting on replies",in all fairness you could have given me a quick list of general issues in te time it took you to post that!

Exploder
I would usually suggest looking for rust. That may not be as much of a concern with an AZ truck.

The more service records and documentation, the better.

There are certain key spares that you should always keep in the truck. Among them are a fuel pump and brake switch.

If the truck looks well-maintained, and not just show-and-shined for a sale, you'll probably be alright.

intothewild

Adventurer
I would usually suggest looking for rust. That may not be as much of a concern with an AZ truck.

The more service records and documentation, the better.

There are certain key spares that you should always keep in the truck. Among them are a fuel pump and brake switch.

If the truck looks well-maintained, and not just show-and-shined for a sale, you'll probably be alright.

Thank you! My dad is going to look at it this evening. I have my fingers crossed that it checksout.

intothewild

Adventurer
As the owner of a 96 Disco I think the basic stuff you've been pointed toward is spot on: rust (with luck it's an AZ truck and that's good). Beyond that...it was the first year of GEMS which some look at as a problem but I prefer to the earlier 14CUX engine mgmt system. Troubleshooting is fairly easy on any problems...if you wanted to read one spot here you go: http://www.robisonservice.com/servicedep/buying-a-land-rover.asp#disco
r-
Ray

Thank you for that, I finally had a few minutes on a computer and was just reading a little bit about GEMs. Thank you for the link, I will take a look at it!

intothewild

Adventurer
Welp. It's a no go. People piss me off. When I was talking to the owner and asking about what issues it had, they told me "it needs a stereo and that it". Brakes are shot, steering is loose, needs tires, pulls hard to the left when you brake. Total POS mechanically according to my dad. So irritating, they knew I was planning on driving it 1500 miles, why not just be honest rather than waste everyone's time?!?

intothewild

Adventurer
They were asking 3k! Pops said it was worth 1500 tops with everything that it needed. Such is life on craigslist I suppose. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier