Danner Mountain Light II - An on-going review

mortonm

Expedition Leader
I have been wearing these inside all weekend while watching March Madness.

I am now about 99% I have the right size! but its hard to be completely sure until you actually use them.

I am away for work this week and will be bringing the boots for walking around town and to dinner etc, that way they get some real walking use and it will be all short trips in case my feet get sore.

mortonm

Expedition Leader
I swear these boots get more comfortable every time I wear them. Had them on for 6 or 7 hours today, not a huge amount of walking but I can notice a difference from a few days ago. Still cold up here so I'm wearing a warm wool sock and that's helping comfort levels as well I would imagine.

24a4629ed864a89bd5ca6ce02165d0d9_zps2f857128.jpg

vabluefish

Observer
Love those boots! I have a similar pair from Scarpa bought new in 2003. Still in good condition today.
f_64243_1.1.jpg

Have to admit though, when I tried on a pair of the popular Asolo Fugitives a few years back and saw how light weight they were, I haven't put the Scarpa's back on since. They were like armor on my feet though. You just inspired me to dig them out!

mortonm

Expedition Leader
Boots like these (full leather, stitch-down construction) are built like tanks, and are heavy accordingly.

The weight doesn't bother me currently so I will keep on wearing them until it does. The scarpas look great also!

java

Expedition Leader
I was torn between the Danners and Asolo when I was last boot shopping. The Asolos just felt a bit better on my feet, but the danners are a NICE boot.

mortonm

Expedition Leader
So I have had the boots over a week now and have worn them at least every day. They are starting to break in a little.

These boots did not come with an insole, just with Danner's airthotic insole which is a plastic heel cup and mild arch support.

I wanted to try some proper insoles and there wasn't a selection of filson agents close to me. I started my search for "hiking" insoles at a coupled of outdoors stores here but a lot of them were $40. They also provided me WAY. To much support in the heel and under my arch. I could instantly feel hotspots and knew these highly formed and supportive soles weren't for me.

I ended up at a local shoppers drug mart and got a $5 pair of the original Dr. Scholes foam soles. Simple and cheap. They fit in wel and I was able to put the plastic airthotic on top for a little arch support. Instantly the boots felt more comfortable and helped fill out the boots a little better providing a bit better fit.

Wore this combo wrote two hours today and was quite comfortable. I might have to cut back the wings on the airthotic so a little but might not. The boots saw their first real dirt and mud today at a Maple Syrup Festival so they are looking less and less like hipster boots each time I get them dirty.

mortonm

Expedition Leader
Decided to spend a little time cleaning them tonight.

aa34e6a7f5f3abdb6536dee369fcff79_zps33ce2899.jpg

The dressing is supposed to help with break in as well. The pictures make it look wetter than it is.

eb981b88380501c8754d34a457a2842c_zps8f37b305.jpg

W

Wandering Sagebrush

I've had a pair of Mountain Lights for about 20 years. My only complaint is the tongues won't stay centered. I'm getting ready to have them resoled, so maybe I can get the tongues fixed then.

I recently bought a pair of Danner Light Beckel, which I like even more.

mortonm

Expedition Leader
I've had a pair of Mountain Lights for about 20 years. My only complaint is the tongues won't stay centered. I'm getting ready to have them resoled, so maybe I can get the tongues fixed then.

I recently bought a pair of Danner Light Beckel, which I like even more.

I have the same issue, attempting to train them properly. Post some before and after pics of your boots, I would love to see them!

Wore the boots for over an hour hiking yesterday, small amount of rubbing on my Achilles I hadn't experienced before, shouldn't be an issue as they continue to break in

mortonm

Expedition Leader
Wore the Danners for a 90 minute hike this weekend, really their first true test. I had a bandaid on the small recovering blister and wore liner socks under wool socks, no issue.

They will be coming with me this long weekend to Pennsylvania for 4 days of hiking, exploring (by vehicle and foot) and geocaching.

I will be sure to take a few more pictures and have a more in depth review.

shogun

Adventurer
I have the same issue, attempting to train them properly. Post some before and after pics of your boots, I would love to see them!

Wore the boots for over an hour hiking yesterday, small amount of rubbing on my Achilles I hadn't experienced before, shouldn't be an issue as they continue to break in

If this means to be a fair evaluation, you need to think about what you just wrote.

You spent a good chunk of change on boots that *might* "break in". I have learned to count the "they'll break in" line as one of the worlds largest lies (along with "I promise I wont... well, you know the rest). Not to say you wont "get used" to them, but why buy a boot that may someday fit?

Companies build shoes/boots on "lasts", which are the template for the foot wearing them. Each company tends to have similar lasts across thier product line, which means you are more likely to find a brand that fits rather than a particular model. Danner has a very odd heel shape for all thier products, at least it doesnt work for me. I wasted alot of change on thier premier Ft Lewis boots when in the mil (they never "broke in") and I wear a pair of thier low quarters at work presently. They didnt "break in" either. Sounds like you are becoming aware of thier odd-ball heel shape. Look at your foot, does your heel really angle forward?

There are other companies that build boots that will fit comfortably from day one, without some empty promise of "break in".

mortonm

Expedition Leader
If this means to be a fair evaluation, you need to think about what you just wrote.

You spent a good chunk of change on boots that *might* "break in". I have learned to count the "they'll break in" line as one of the worlds largest lies (along with "I promise I wont... well, you know the rest). Not to say you wont "get used" to them, but why buy a boot that may someday fit?

Companies build shoes/boots on "lasts", which are the template for the foot wearing them. Each company tends to have similar lasts across thier product line, which means you are more likely to find a brand that fits rather than a particular model. Danner has a very odd heel shape for all thier products, at least it doesnt work for me. I wasted alot of change on thier premier Ft Lewis boots when in the mil (they never "broke in") and I wear a pair of thier low quarters at work presently. They didnt "break in" either. Sounds like you are becoming aware of thier odd-ball heel shape. Look at your foot, does your heel really angle forward?

There are other companies that build boots that will fit comfortably from day one, without some empty promise of "break in".

I agree with someof what you are sayingbut I think our definitions of "breaking in" are different.

A boot that isn't comfortable from the start will never "break in" and be comfortable.

My definition of "breaking in" is when the leather softens up and conforms to your feet.

These boots fit my feet well and I have had no issues other than the one small blister. I didn't even feel it rubbing while I was wearing them.

I have likely worn these boots in excess of 25 hours and have only had that one minor issue. That doesn't mean that I won't have more issues in the future.

The fact that I spent a large chunk of change on these boots and am expecting a lot from them I believe will keep my opionions and reviews honest and hopefully objective. This weekend I will be using them more than I have for longer periods as well as successive days in a row and will be a good test.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles