Danner Mountain Light II - An on-going review

Colin Hughes

Explorer
I think these may be my next boots too. I did research and ended up with a pair of Zamberlan's. Felt great right from the start but I wear my boots pretty much 340 days a year and in two years the soles disintegrated and the leather cracked and opened up. I was going to resole but when the uppers started opening, it would not have been worth it. Currently wearing Merrill Moab's. Nice but a bit warm. Soles seem to be holding up better too. Because they are mesh, I don't think they will be great in the Canadian winter though.

mortonm

Expedition Leader
I think these may be my next boots too. I did research and ended up with a pair of Zamberlan's. Felt great right from the start but I wear my boots pretty much 340 days a year and in two years the soles disintegrated and the leather cracked and opened up. I was going to resole but when the uppers started opening, it would not have been worth it. Currently wearing Merrill Moab's. Nice but a bit warm. Soles seem to be holding up better too. Because they are mesh, I don't think they will be great in the Canadian winter though.

340 days in a good amount of use in a year!

The hardest part will be to find a brick store to buy the , I ended up ordering online but sizing ca be tricky.

Mine are 10.5s which is a little larger than I would normally wear. If you get serious we can work something out for you to try mine on if yoni want.

mortonm

Expedition Leader
Bonus Feature: provides a soft leather pillow for tired dogs

9264a657821bee47ae4101465559e625_zpsb3808eac.jpg

matt marquardt

Adventurer
Really appreciate your review.

I've had Danner Ft. Lewis boots in service for 28years but tend to get warm. I've tried newer molded sole boots but they never last past a years work and hunting so I'm always back to the Danners.

For my arid location I recently bought the Danner Light while in Portland. Why did I wait so long! I could have spared myself earlier! And I'm pleased to find out that Danner will recraft my boots should I ever wear them out. This was a concern being that I have the fabric sides.

Thanks again mortonm!

mortonm

Expedition Leader
Really appreciate your review.

I've had Danner Ft. Lewis boots in service for 28years but tend to get warm. I've tried newer molded sole boots but they never last past a years work and hunting so I'm always back to the Danners.

For my arid location I recently bought the Danner Light while in Portland. Why did I wait so long! I could have spared myself earlier! And I'm pleased to find out that Danner will recraft my boots should I ever wear them out. This was a concern being that I have the fabric sides.

Thanks again mortonm!

I like the Danner Lights a lot as well, not sure if they would be cooler than the all leather? Likely. It was between the Danner Lights and the Mountain Light IIs when I was decided.

I might have picked differently had I been able to see the Lights in person

matt marquardt

Adventurer
Cooler? Ah hell, whose to say? Mine has a goretex lining that I'm sure doesn't help with keeping foot temp down. We've had some 100*+ days already and I had no complaints.

Many years ago when I was living 24/7 in boots the only thing for sure to keep my feet happy was foot powder and dry socks. Now-a-days I stop hunting in the afternoon to water the dogs and take a nap with my boots off.

By the way,
What's your impression of the plastic heel cup insole?

Last edited:

mortonm

Expedition Leader
Cooler? Ah hell, whose to say? Mine has a goretex lining that I'm sure doesn't help with keeping foot temp down. We've had some 100*+ days already and I had no complaints.

Many years ago when I was living 24/7 in boots the only thing for sure to keep my feet happy was foot powder and dry socks. Now-a-days I stop hunting in the afternoon to water the dogs and take a nap with my boots off.

By the way,
What's your impression of the plastic heel cup insole?

I liked them for the short time I used them. I think I ended up buying my boots a half size big so with just the airthotic heel cup the boots felt too large.

I ended up getting a pair of their fatigue fighter insoles and have been very happy ever since and haven't looked back.

mortonm

Expedition Leader
This is going to be an honest review, both good and bad.

Ended up with a Couple of medium blisters during a 10 mile hike last Friday.

It started the previous Monday on a 5 mike hike I had a little rubbing a soreness where the top of the boot meets the ankle. It never opened up it was sore a little tender.

This area is where most people report soreness when they are new.

I thought they were fully healed But apparently not

I have worn them longer and in tougher terrain so no idea why I got blisters this time.

keyaroxy

FS Danners Size 9

I bought a pair of these and never really hike. Great shape. Do people post "boots for sale" on the forum? Gear trade link? Thank for the info.

mortonm

Expedition Leader
Went on a great 25 km (15 mi) fall hike yesterday. I love getting out in these cooler temperatures. Crisp air, great colours and no bugs.

Feet felt great, no issues with blisters. Feet were a little tired at the end but after 6 hours on the trail its to be expected.

mortonm

Expedition Leader
Another couple hour hike yesterday. The boots are feeling great. I have really taken to wearing a liner sock under my wool socks. Helps to wick away sweat and no blisters or anything remotely resembling a hot spot. Repeating the 25km hike again tomorrow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste