Eggs: How long to they keep out of the shell?

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Sorry if this has been asked, but if I crack some eggs into a sealed plastic container and then put it in the fridge, how long can I expect the eggs to last? I'm assuming that even minor contact with the air will accellerate spoilage, right?

Reason I might want to do this is to be able to carry eggs without having to worry about them breaking. I don't care if the yolk breaks, everything I cook would be with a scrambled egg anyway.

jimi breeze

jimi breeze
Good question. I read in a book about solo navigation around the world (sailboat) that you could seal the air from the egg by dipping in wax. The wax apparently seals the microscopic membrane of the egg from air thus prolonging shelf life by months.
I believe he was planning on getting three months worth without refrigeration. Test it now while your still home.

njtacoma

Explorer
I am curious about this as well.

I read a great article 1.5 years ago, that did a test of the various ways to store an egg in the shell. There wasn't a significant difference in the methods if the eggs were stored at room temperature.

Are you planning to still cook the eggs in a pan or cook them in the plastic bag with boiling water? If so what type of bags are you using?

2scars

Adventurer
before electricity

they used a practice called "waterglassing" similar to waxing, but easier it sounds and you don't have hot wax to sort of cook them first. That is how farmers and such would keep eggs over the winter when the hens stopped laying, back when things were still natural.

Other than that I would use one of the little yellow holders you get from an outdoor supply house or whatever. Maybe freeze dried eggs.

Brandon

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I am curious about this as well.

I read a great article 1.5 years ago, that did a test of the various ways to store an egg in the shell. There wasn't a significant difference in the methods if the eggs were stored at room temperature.

Are you planning to still cook the eggs in a pan or cook them in the plastic bag with boiling water? If so what type of bags are you using?

Not sure yet. Zip loc omelets are great, and cleanup is super easy!

Ramjet

Explorer
Eggs by nature are hermetically sealed. Once you crack them, they can go bad quickly even refrigerated. Your best bet is keeping them in the shell.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Not sure yet. Zip loc omelets are great, and cleanup is super easy!

Im also a zip loc omelet guy for all the same reasons

Once your eggs are broken you are good for 2-3 days. Cold is your friend when it comes to time.

I normally crack them open willingly prior to leaving into a watertight container.

If it smells bad........

Attachments

• IMG_7341.jpg
    IMG_7341.jpg
    528.6 KB · Views: 44

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
I have used this design for decades. Even used them backpacking jambed into a back and never broke an egg.
http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Egg-C...395263992&sr=8-2&keywords=egg+carrier+camping
You want to get large not extra large eggs as the extra large ones can be too big and get broken closing the container.

Darrell

I found using a container your egg selection is critical. The chickens that supply us with eggs are not very good with creating the same sizes regularly.

cruisertoy

Explorer
I've got 6 chickens and have read the same thing about the natural coating on eggs that seal them. People all over the world leave them out on the counter or have them out in a hot market. You also have to figure that a hen sits on an egg for something like 21 days at 100 degrees. If at any point in that process the contents were rotting you wouldn't end up with little chicks.

SoCal Tom

Explorer
You can also by egg beaters or other prebroken eggs. I think they are pasteurized so they have a decent shelf life
Tom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94