Accidents do happen, be prepared folks

weatherm

Adventurer
I have been playing hard outside for over a decade. Mainly, climbing, riding, skydiving, BASE jumping, and visiting remote regions as much as my government paycheck will allow. I have always been prepared and gotten myself out of any sticky situation 99% unscaved. Be it having a paper map, marking trails, or whatever the case maybe. I've had 10 plus years of excitement and minimal downtime except this year. I had a horrible BASE jumping accident. Luckily I have insurance and also rescue insurance. You never know when something isn't going to go your way so I always vouched to be prepared and go with intelligent people. My luck changed but my course of action and keeping a cool head saved rescue time and a lot of money. I have my rescue information taped onto my helmet in red just in case something happened. Well it did. You play with fire, you will get burned eventually. I got out with just having to pay my out of pocket. Nothing else monetarily but my feet are a different story. I like this site and how its run, I just want everyone to know to always have a backup plan when it goes wrong. Because it will one day. Have your backup knots memorized to the point where you can tie them in the dark, always have a backup map or something, emergency head lamp, sat phone if your way out, a hey wifey.. If I'm not back by X time start worrying if you don't hear from me by Y call these people. Etc.. just be safe out there fellas. My friends saved me and got a quick recovery time and I didn't have to get helivac'd out. Because you will get that bill reguardless, they will find a way :)

https://vimeo.com/89614082

java

Expedition Leader
Good reminder. But ouch! Hope you have a fast recovery and it could have been worse!!

BillTex

Adventurer
Whoa...Bud...best of luck. Hope you heal up OK.

You are right; always have a plan, and good/smart trail partners.

Rock on, Bill

4x4x4doors

Explorer
Great shots in the vid. Best wishes for healing.

Have a plan--check. Good/smart trail partners -- harder to do but just as important.

K2ZJ

Explorer
I have no experience in base jumping, what happened? Other than you hit the ground.

weatherm

Adventurer
I had a off-heading and over corrected which caused a stall surge when I brought my right toggle back up.. I started to come out of the arch to get enough speed forward movement but ran out of altitude. I could have went in the trees but we all decided it wouldn't be a good idea because they weren't healthy and would have just given way with weight and killed me. The other correction could have fixed one thing and caused another. There were big boulders I didn't want to plow into. Six dozen half the other it was just a bad scenario and not a safe jump to start with but I was invincible ya know. Everyone else that did it went fine... lemming effect. This type of thing can happen to anyone doing anything. I've seen people climbing get hurt, Recently I had a person I knew get done from climbing and on the way back tripped on a rock and blew out his MCL and ACL. Accidents happen more when your tired.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles