YA sand ladder DIY question

robgendreau

Explorer
I keep waiting to find some fiberglass waffleboard on sale near me for use as sand ladders, but never seem too. Meanwhile, all sorts of variations and alternatives turn up. I've got a 4.5 ton van, so I need either something strong, or flexible...like the carpet and burlap sacks (filled with sand) I use now.

Anyway, I saw some of this stuff at a construction site and finally remembered to search for it: http://www.floorandmatstore.com/store/p/124-DuraDeck1-BLACK.aspx

Turns out it's HDPE (like your cutting board). I always thought it would be slippery, but I guess not if they're using it for decking. Not too pricey, and VERY beefy. Maybe too much, 4x8 is 87 lbs, so a pair of ramps is 43.5 lbs. But on the other hand with that kind of strength it can be used for other things. Might make a nifty skid plate for instance. Or bumper guard.

Anyone ever try this stuff? Or work with it, as in is it cutable without too much hassle? like with a sawsall?

4x4BNB

Adventurer
Wow. Looks nice. I'm assuming it's flexible so cant be used as a bridging ladder....and at 4x8....depending on the size u can cut these down n make two sets of sand mats/tracks! :)
I got my bridging ladders at American grating. They are less expensive than the green ones u see any place else....u can have them custom cut to size....not sure if will hold ur 4.5 ton rig....my van is 5k lbs and u can hear them crackle under the weight

robgendreau

Explorer
I think the key is to have enough flex they deform to the terrain without breaking. But rigid enough that they don't just ball up and shoot from under the tires like carpet sometimes does (that's why, I guess, the burlap sacks with sand inside seem to work better than just carpet).

six sons

Observer
Utility companies use these all the time to avoid damaging property and staying afloat on muddy ground. I cut the 4x8 sheets down to size and drill holes in a pattern and run a short bolt-washer-mat-washer-nylock nut and that gives some real traction. They can be used either side up. They are good for traction but are not strong enough for bridging.
If you hang around a utility company yard and ask they might just give a sheet away that is damaged. That's how I got mine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles