New to hiking

forsakenfuture

Explorer
New to hiking but of course not the outdoors. I will start by saying I am 6'3 and 300 pounds, need less to say I am out of shape. Walking out doors seems like to be a great way to get in shape. I recently completed the Four Dances trail in Billings, Montana and have found out afterwards it is ranked as a moderate trail but I loved it and would like to do more. On this trip I packed with me three bottles of water but only drank one. Am i taking to much stuff with me? Also, it would of been handy to have a walking stick on the steep stuff. Are their special ones or will any old stick do? Im talking about the store bought speciality ones. Thanks in advance.

digitaldelay

Explorer
I have been using trekking poles since my second backpacking trip. I started out using an old, banged up pair of ski poles. I recently retired a set of Komperdell twist-lock type in favour of MSR's Sure-Lock 2 poles. They use a button-lock system that won't fail under load. I'm your height but you've got a hundred pounds on me so make sure you get something sturdy.

Congrats on getting into hiking, you will love it even more once you see the types of places that are inaccessible by vehicle.

Jason

forsakenfuture

Explorer
Thanks for the encouragement . I wanted to post some photos but couldnt figure out how to do it with my phone. I am anxious to get out again but the day i have planned is suppose to be in the mid 40s with 20 precent rain, is this safe for someone new?

digitaldelay

Explorer
You can pretty much hike in any weather, just do your best to keep warm and dry. Again, even a single pole greatly improves stability and safety on all terrain, especially wet rocks.

That would be cool if there was a way to quickly upload pics from a phone. There probably is. Hmm, I may have to look into that.

Jason

SNOWDOZER

Adventurer
I've been using my Leki twist locks for a while now. Mostly for downhill stability for my bad knee. As for the water situation, you can never have to much water. I usually pack a 64oz Kleen Kanteen for a day hike and the same plus a filter system for overnights. I like the Platypus bag system, it's lite and easy to use plus you can fill the bag and leave it to do its job while you tend to other tasks.

forsakenfuture

Explorer
Went to Cabelas and looked at treking poles there and also went to the local camping store . I went with a pair from Leki. The folks at the camping store were very knowledgeable and I was able to get the pair for 75 dollars where as Cabelas wanted 50 a piece.

beags86

Adventurer
Welcome to the sport. You will find it very enjoyable very quickly. My suggestions are to look into a backpack type water carrier (ie.camelbak) or a hydration belt like a runner uses ( what I use) and go ahead and pick up two poles aright away. Do a little research about poles and you will quickly see the benefits of them. ( more stable,less stress on knees, etc,etc,) also a good hiking book for your area will be worth it's wait in gold once you need more routes to take on. Have fun!

DCGibbs

Observer
I highly encourage you to pickup: The Complete Walker IV By: Colin Fletcher, Chip Rawlins RANDOM HOUSE, INC / PAPERBACK
It set you back 25 bucks maybe. See if you can find it used. Colin has written several backpacking books. His knowledge is vast.

If you have any desire to hike the Grand Canyon, his book "The Man Who Walked Thur Time" Is worth picking up as well. My copies are old and dog eared.
DCGibbs

forsakenfuture

Explorer
I will have to look for those. I enjoy reading any thing to do with the outdoors/overlanding/ adventure/ exploring. Hiking is a lot fourwheeling but instead of fuel you burn calories.

Jedi Yota

I agree with investing in a day pack. The REI flash is a pretty solid day pack, and it is light and cheap, and has a spot to store a hydration bladder should you choose to go that route. I do not know about treking poles since I don't use them (maybe I should), but I would invest in a good solid pair of hiking shoes or boots, and for a big guy like yourself I would suggest at least a mid tops for the extra ankle support.

optimusprime

Proffessional daydreamer.
You can pretty much hike in any weather, just do your best to keep warm and dry. Again, even a single pole greatly improves stability and safety on all terrain, especially wet rocks.

That would be cool if there was a way to quickly upload pics from a phone. There probably is. Hmm, I may have to look into that.

Jason

We have a saying over here.

' no such thing as bad weather,just the wrong kind of clothing'

as has been said above, get the best boots for you, i say 'for you' because everyone has their preference,try a few different styles,choose what feels comfortable,i like a heavy solid type boot with ankle support,but my wife likes a lightweight trainer style (sneakers in your parlance) walking shoe, i'm over 6ft and around 308pounds ... I used to walk/hike miles in my youth .....should really start again i suppose.

Quest4ADV

Adventurer
I highly encourage you to pickup: The Complete Walker IV By: Colin Fletcher, Chip Rawlins RANDOM HOUSE, INC / PAPERBACK
It set you back 25 bucks maybe. See if you can find it used. Colin has written several backpacking books. His knowledge is vast.

If you have any desire to hike the Grand Canyon, his book "The Man Who Walked Thur Time" Is worth picking up as well. My copies are old and dog eared.
DCGibbs

+1 on this. great book, I have several of the editions and have read them all.

+100000 on any of Colin's books. Check out "The man from the cave" and Thousand Mile Summer!

libarata

Expedition Leader
New to hiking but of course not the outdoors. I will start by saying I am 6'3 and 300 pounds, need less to say I am out of shape. Walking out doors seems like to be a great way to get in shape. I recently completed the Four Dances trail in Billings, Montana and have found out afterwards it is ranked as a moderate trail but I loved it and would like to do more. On this trip I packed with me three bottles of water but only drank one. Am i taking to much stuff with me? Also, it would of been handy to have a walking stick on the steep stuff. Are their special ones or will any old stick do? Im talking about the store bought speciality ones. Thanks in advance.

Instead of waterbottles, you could always purchase a dedicated hydration pack. As far as walking sticks go, you will have to look into the science behind them to decide if you car about them. I do not hike with them, but when I snowshoe, I do. I find sticks VERY helpful in technical terrain, when having arm extensions help stability.

When I hike, whether it is 1 mile, or 20 miles, I always take a full hydro pack of three liters, a small medical kit, and 2-4 food bars, and a sweater.

Everything about hiking, is the same as any other hobby, you will find your sweet spot. What works for you, will not work for someone else.

libarata

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the encouragement . I wanted to post some photos but couldnt figure out how to do it with my phone. I am anxious to get out again but the day i have planned is suppose to be in the mid 40s with 20 precent rain, is this safe for someone new?

You have to condition yourself :D The only unsafe situation, is the one in which it rains, and you are covered in cotton. I fully suggest looking around for polyester and wool clothing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles