04 suburban, back story and plans

aero

Adventurer
I installed the vette servo on my 2002 Tahoe z71 with 200k a while ago.

It tightened up the shifts (didn't do anything to gas mileage). The only thing I THINK it changed (other than making the shifts solid) was that it doesn't do much engine braking in drive. I never drove it in the mountains prior to the install but it seems like there should be more resistance. Even just straight line if you let off the gas, it won't slow much. But I would definitely install it again as the transmission seems much better.

Sentinelist

Adventurer
I love it, the story and the rig. Full-length safari rack on top, stat! I really like this gen Suburban (have an 05 Escalade ESV instead though) and wouldn't mind a Z71 for a similar build.

BradyD

Observer
I love it, the story and the rig. Full-length safari rack on top, stat! I really like this gen Suburban (have an 05 Escalade ESV instead though) and wouldn't mind a Z71 for a similar build.

Thanks for the kind words my friend. I have been working on a few custom rack designs. nothing solid yet but it is in the works

BradyD

Observer
looking for wisdom! its time for a gear change in the burban. want to scrap the factory 3.73s. should I go with the 4.10s or go big with the 4.56?

warwgn

Explorer
your tires are about the same size as a 33" so 4.10 would be great, if you plan to go bigger tires anytime soon I would go ahead and get the 4.56's.

BradyD

Observer
your tires are about the same size as a 33" so 4.10 would be great, if you plan to go bigger tires anytime soon I would go ahead and get the 4.56's.

I don't plan to ever go bigger. it is very under powered now. I don't pull a lot with it but when I do its a struggle. heck, its a struggle going up an overpass with a head wind. Thanks for the input!

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I think you will be going to the trans shop soon for a rebuild. Mine started doing that, then there was a catastrophic failure of the gears. Had 1st and that's it. good thing is the trans in these are easily rebuildable. I had a shift kit put in as well. and it works great now.

BradyD

Observer
I think you will be going to the trans shop soon for a rebuild. Mine started doing that, then there was a catastrophic failure of the gears. Had 1st and that's it. good thing is the trans in these are easily rebuildable. I had a shift kit put in as well. and it works great now.

thanks for the heads up. if you don't mind me asking, how much did the rebuild set you back?

rayra

Expedition Leader
one thing that i felt necessary was that the box was the same height as the third row when laid down
View attachment 218295

Thanks for posting that, been considering building a platform / drawer system in my newly-purchased '02 suburban and was thinking to do the same, box as high as the 3rd row. But that's just too high for my liking and I've been leaning towards taking out the 3rd row and going with a longer shallower drawer system. 6-7" deep, to the 2nd row seats. We've got a couple big dogs as well, they'll need that extra 6" of headroom walking around back there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne