04 suburban, back story and plans

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
thanks for the heads up. if you don't mind me asking, how much did the rebuild set you back?

I paid 700 cdn plus 120 for the upgraded shift kit(made a big difference).

That was from a local mom and pop shop. They do good work and I would have no issue getting any trans rebuilt there. Your milage may vary.

BradyD

Observer
I paid 700 cdn plus 120 for the upgraded shift kit(made a big difference).

That was from a local mom and pop shop. They do good work and I would have no issue getting any trans rebuilt there. Your milage may vary.

Awesome, Thanks for the info. its still holding up pretty good, or at least seems to be but nevertheless the funds are slowly being allocated for the tranny rebuild......with shift kit. BTW which kit did you go with and what is your feedback on it?

BradyD

Observer
I've been leaning towards taking out the 3rd row and going with a longer shallower drawer system. 6-7" deep, to the 2nd row seats.

I would have much rather went that route but with 2 kids in car seats plus having the 2 row captain's chairs we would have no room for additional passengers if I eliminated the 3rd row. I am, however, in the process of reconfiguring ALL of my "stuff". im trying to find places in the suburban to move some of the stuff to that is currently in my box. not necessarily to completely eliminate the box but to actually be able to fit tools and gear in it as originally intended instead of just my gadgets (water tank/pump, stove, battery sink, etc.)

BradyD

Observer
as I stated in the above post, I am currently reorganizing my "camping box". My end goal is to be able to load my box with tools or gear specific to wherever im going and still have the amenities that it currently provides. That would also give me the option of removing the box to use the space to haul things or just to pack extra luggage and still have on-board water, power and maybe the stove (probably not as critical as the water and inverter). to accomplish this I am building a new water system and tank to eliminate that from the box, as well as adding an isolated dual batter setup to get my secondary battery out of my box but still give me the extra power to run all of my stuff. here is what I have so far and as always ya'll have awesome feedback and ideas so input is welcome and appreciated. Thanks
20141215_185304.jpg
isolator

20141215_185330.jpg
switch

BradyD

Observer
20141213_155951.jpg

20141213_014237.jpg

the new on-board water set up. my plan is to cut a 4" hole next to the filler cap and drop in a length of PVC pipe vertically that will contain a 25' coiled hose. all of this will be flush with the bottom of the storage compartment which will leave room for other things if I needed the extra room. if you notice the bolts to the left of the pump switch those are actually holding the pump in place inside the wasted space that also contains the factory jack and spare tire tool.

20141212_225043.jpg

water "tank" to be mounted between the rear bumper and spare tire.

Last edited:

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Awesome, Thanks for the info. its still holding up pretty good, or at least seems to be but nevertheless the funds are slowly being allocated for the tranny rebuild......with shift kit. BTW which kit did you go with and what is your feedback on it?

I don't know what shift kit they used. All I know is what when I got it back after the second rebuild, It shifts quick, holds her gears better and does not hunt as much. It made a big difference. Next up for my rig is the supreme suspension lift kit to git some more air under her. Only issue is how my timbrens in front will work for my plow. I may have to extend them a couple of inches too.

BradyD

Observer
I don't know what shift kit they used. All I know is what when I got it back after the second rebuild, It shifts quick, holds her gears better and does not hunt as much. It made a big difference. Next up for my rig is the supreme suspension lift kit to git some more air under her. Only issue is how my timbrens in front will work for my plow. I may have to extend them a couple of inches too.

cool, ill look forward to seeing some pix when you get the lift done.

BradyD

Observer
20141217_224837.jpg
so this is where im at with my new on board water system. till have to get the tank installed and do a little "cleaning up" and trim work but so for I like the way its coming together
20141217_224827.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior