04 suburban, back story and plans

BradyD

Observer
Hello everyone. I joined the site this week and already seem addicted. It nice to see everyone helping out their fellow enthusiast. My current project is an 04 Suburban with a little lift, some tires and wheels and a few other goodies. Im open to criticisms and ideas of all kinds. My rig is used mostly to travel back and forth from my home to my lake house (about 85 miles one way), my hunting lease is only a couple miles from my lake house so it gets beat around in the piney woods of east Texas a lot. My future plans are:
Winch
Roof rack
engine tuned
and stuff it full of as much gear as it will hold

The back story is pretty interesting too. My Father in law bought it at an auction in 07. It was bone stock, loaded (sunroof, leather dvd player etc) and only about 50-60k. He added the lift tires wheels, camo wrap, gun rack, push bar, winch, remote spotlight, basically a redneck hunters dream. He left the suburban in his shop at the lake (we hunt on the same land) he used it solely to get from the lake house to the deer lease 4-5 miles. in trying to keep this short I will say it stayed in his shop 90% of the time with a 200#corn feeder on it. Rats chewed wires out of it from engine to the fuel tank (trans included). Being the impulsive and generous person he is, he goes to town, buys a new 4door jeep does all the same stuff to it. He got me to help him swap the winch from the burb to the jeep then threw me the keys and said "if you want to fix her, shes yours. come by the house and get the title. You can use my truck and trailer to get it to the shop)
Needless to say I was shocked. That was almost a year ago and after $2500 shes been running great! I plan on equipping her to be an "adventure rig" Thanks for taking the time to read all this. ill be posting pics of little projects im doing.
Thanks,
Brady

BradyD

Observer
20140320_164625.jpg

I bought a pair of cheap lights from Harbor Freight. disassembled them and painted about 3 coats of flat black.

BradyD

Observer
20140320_191020-1.jpg
got some more work done to my "box". received my 12v on demand water pump Friday so I got it mounted. It is temporarily wired and plumbed to test it, it seems to function as it should so I will work on the plumbing this week and also get the 2.5 gallon water tank mounted. the box also holds a 12 battery (eventually a deep cycle) hooked to the light switch and a 800w inverter which is wired to the outlet under the switch. ill post more/better pix as the weather permits for me to complete the inside.

BradyD

Observer
so ive noticed recently that the shifting seems to have some lag in it. sometimes its seems to hesitate off the line (trans not the engine) im approaching 90k and to my knowledge it has never had a trans flush. the lift and tire have only been on it for maybe the last 20k or fewer. it hasn't really had a hard life since we have owned it. I hear a lot of debate on flushing transmissions. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Brady

aero

Adventurer
You could try the corvette shift servo. I believe its the same trans as the tahoe. It'll tighten up the shifts.

As far as the fluid, check the fluid and see what color it is. IMO, if I need to change the fluid, I'll change the fluid and or change the fluid in the pan, but I wont completely flush them with new fluid.

BradyD

Observer
You could try the corvette shift servo. I believe its the same trans as the tahoe. It'll tighten up the shifts.

As far as the fluid, check the fluid and see what color it is. IMO, if I need to change the fluid, I'll change the fluid and or change the fluid in the pan, but I wont completely flush them with new fluid.

Thanks! I have heard a few people say they have gone to the corvette servo. Ive never heard any feedback pertaining to how it affects MPGs, if at all. Not that I think mine could get any worse ;)

BradyD

Observer
got new exhaust installed yesterday. not too loud but has a nice clean rumble. Also put a new K&N in it. Maybe the ol' girl can breath a little better now. Hope to get a tunner for it soon to capitalize on the bolt-ons. But I also have a new winch on my list so the tunner may have to wait.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94