2000 Chevy 1500

mtfarmer

I received this pickup as "wages" from helping my parents on the ranch during high school. It is a base model with manual windows, locks, and the floor mounted transfer case selector. It has the 5spd manual with the 4.3L. I did the usual easy mods during college like wheels, fender flares, toolbox. I later added the ARB front bumper and transferred the light force lights from my grill guard. The winch came later and has done more "farm" work than recovery work. I recently ran across an article which highlighted a rig from flexible fabrication. so I decided to "loosely" copy their flatbed design with the intentions of purchasing a rtt for it. I have started the bed and am in the process of designing the rear bumper portion of it.

The pickup was purchased as shown with 90,000 miles+- in 2010 and am at approximately 140000

During college I had a topper for it since I went to school 12 hours from home and could bring about everything I needed.

In college I bought the light force lights and have had 2 deer collisions and one vehicle collision and they are still working.

After the vehicle collision I bought the ARB bumper and installed it at home

Next came the wheels and tires. The rims are 16 inch MT street lock with Yokohama Geolander 265 75's which we have had multiple sets and fit farm work pretty well.

The winch is a Warn Vr 10000 and has done everything I needed it to, I also purchased the rigid dually lights and they were a sad disappointment.

This is the bed that I am basing my off of.

I "borrowed" my dads mig welder, and plasma cutter and bought a JD squared tubing notcher and bender, both are awesome. I started the frame out of 3x3 .120 wall square tubing and decided everything would consist of .120 wall.

I took the bed off to test fit the new one and mark the mounting locations. This is as far as I have made it.

goodwaves

Adventurer
mtf, looks awesome so far!
i really need to learn how to weld!
What model ARB bumper is that? didn't know they had one to fit the 1500? Did it just bolt in?
I have seen where folks had adapted the one for 2500 series trucks, I really like the look on your truck.
Cant wait to see how this turns out.

mtfarmer

Welding is a blast and comes in handy. This is one of the few welding projects were I actually get to use new steel, used to mostly welding broken farm equipment.. The bumper was a direct bolt on application. I think the bumper is built very good and is not insanely heavy, having said that I want to do the landcruiser arb mod because mine hangs out a fair bit in the front. this post is of the mod...http://z71tahoe-suburban.com/iboard/lofiversion/index.php?t17766.html but it will have to wait until the bed is done.

82fb

Adventurer
Looks great,. Only thing I would add is that the 4.3 is a decent motor, but certainly not a powerhouse. Given that, keep the bed as lightweight as possible.

mtfarmer

Well here's an update since spring planting has wound down, and its the calm before haying starts up next week. I got the bed "done". I had bed liner applied to it and the tent rack. The RTT works great and I was able to take it out last week on its maiden voyage. I updated the Light force blitz halogens to 50w hid xgts. I also added 6 rigid dually leds for camping lights. I installed the National Luna dual battery system along with an optima yellow top which is for the lights and fridge. That's about it, and the next thing will be to replace the arb bumper.

chaos616

Adventurer
Hey, cool truck. I have similar and really like the flatbed and RTT rack you made. I am trying to figure out a utilitarian and nice looking bed design myself that will also hold a RTT. Its a tough thing coming up with a good design that works well.

Also, I like the ARB Bumper, if you decide to leave it as is I think it looks fine, also a good tool bench and place to stand when working on things!!!

Cheers,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz