Family of four camping with trailer RTT on trailer.

memcruiser

Observer
I am for some reason having a hard time pulling trigger on the CVT group buy. I am afraid we (kids and wife) will not end up liking what I am trying to do. The trailer I have now has very small RTT with no annex. We have used it some but it is awkward getting in and out when you have no annex and are in your PJs trying to get ready for bed. If I get the Mr. Ranier with annex I was hoping to put bunk camping cots in annex for kids and then me and wife sleeping up top. I am not sure that will work and hate buying something and then finding out it won't work. Does anybody have an info on anybody using that kind of set up?

VDBAZFJ

Adventurer
I have the big CVT with the annex on my M416. The annex sure is nice once its installed but I find it to be a big pain. But it is still awesome. Just not something I enjoy doing everyday. If the kids are young (small) then I think cots would be fine. If you are wanting full size cots in there...that would be a challenge. Four of you in the tent would be cozy.

I wish you the best with your decision!

stevil

I can't speak from hands on experience yet, as I'm waiting for my gobi rack to mount my CVT mt Shasta, but we felt that there would be plenty of room with the kids up top and us down below on a queen inflatable mattress.

I can't find a link, but i saw a ground tent (not an annex) that the rtt ladder would fit in connected to two double tents on each side.

preacherman

Explorer
I have a trailer with RTT and go on trips with my wife and two boys. I loved the rtt but got tired of just what your talking about. Last year I bought a Big Agnes tent and have not looked back. It's big enought to stand up in, has room to change clothes in and just made our camping trips more enjoyable as a whole. It takes less than 5 minutes to set up and I find my trailer pulls better with the RTT not on it. I like RTTs for 2 people for 4 people they just looses their usability.

I spent $179 on close out for my tent, that's a big savings compared to what I was going to spend on annexes and a bigger RTT. I personally like my new set up quite a bit.

bigwapitijohnny

Adventurer
I have an Outlander Sherpa II for my trailer with a Mombasa RTT. Yes, it was 'klunky' for my wife because she did not like to climb down the ladder of the RTT in the night for the bathroom. So, I went with a Foxwing Awning, and an RV-5. Last season, I tried to cobble some way to cover the RTT ladder with the RV-5 'courtyard'. Here is a picture from last season. I'm going to change up the location and bring the OZ around the trailer opposite the RTT. Rumor has it that the RV-5 can zip to any of the four panels of the Foxwing. I do have additional wall panels, so I will use the foxwing as a 'foyer of sorts'. My wife will sleep in the RV-5 with my youngest son, and I'll put the PETT toilet in the awning area of the RV-5...

I'm going to get some pics soon. Hopefully this will help in some way.

Regards,

BWJ

coolfeet

Mark Keeler
I really like the way that RTTs look. My wife likes the look too. Getting up in the middle of the night and having to climb down a ladder to tinkle is not her idea of an adventure.

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Same situation here...

I own a CVT Mt Hood, 3 person and have 4 people in the family (my math has always sucked apparently). I am looking at options, and actually started looking for (preferably) a hard shell RTT to put on the Jeep in addition to the Mt Hood. I am also looking at other options, including the CVT Black Bute to attach to the awning I have for me to sleep in. I do have the annex that came with the Mt Hood, but my tent is mounted to the lid so the height from bottom of the RTT floor to the ground is only about 4.5', not ideal for anything but storage at that height.

They came out with the true 4 person CVT about a year after I got mine. Probably too heavy for the trailer with all 4 people in it anyways? I may have located an RTT for a very reasonable price locally now... so that might sway my decision?

Check out the Kakadu tents, they are HUGE and do actually fit on a CDN M101 (a buddy of mine has this setup).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne