Kimberley Inspired Camper Build

Geodoc

Adventurer
How are you planning on doing the door? Will you be using a cut-out from the wall or getting a regular RV door?

joey.hendrix

Observer
How are you planning on doing the door? Will you be using a cut-out from the wall or getting a regular RV door?

I will custom build the door from the same panels I used for the walls, routing a step in the wall and door to make room for a rubber seal to keep out the weather.

protohyp

Adventurer
I will custom build the door from the same panels I used for the walls, routing a step in the wall and door to make room for a rubber seal to keep out the weather.

That's one of the more fun parts of a build this type when the doors have to run off two planes. Can't wait to see your solution

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Geodoc

Adventurer
How will you be sealing the door edges? As I'm building my cargo box similar to yours, I'm thinking of using a layer of fiberglass over the edges.

joey.hendrix

Observer
Finally able to get in some shop time. Have been working on all the angled cuts for the nose section of the camper. Used a technique known as pattern cutting to cut these large odd shaped parts.

Started out rough cutting the angles with a jig saw.
0-49.jpg

Next I attached a straight edge with a brad nailer on the finished cut line.
0-50.jpg
0-51.jpg

Then I set up the table saw by clamping an auxiliary fence to the rip fence. The auxiliary fence is set the thickness of the part to be cut above the table and flush with the edge of the saw blade.
0-53.jpg

Once everything is set the straight edge with the part to be cut is guided against the fence resulting in a clean cut on the layout line.
0-54.jpg
0-55.jpg

The angles were calculated from the drawings. Using the chop saw I cut some scrap plywood to the different angles that will be used. Then used the plywood scrap to set the bevel angle on the table saw. Used the same pattern cutting technique to cut the bevels on all the panels.
0-56.jpg

joey.hendrix

Observer
Dry fitted all the parts by holding them together with blue painters tape. Once I'm satisfied with the fit I will glue everything together with epoxy.

0-57.jpg

0-58.jpg

0-59.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier