Kimberley Inspired Camper Build

joey.hendrix

Observer
The kids will soon be finished with collage. My wife and I having realized we have more years behind us that ahead of us began talking about travel. My wife has been a stay at home mom and works part time in a tax office during “tax season”. I have served the last 28 years as a Paramedic. We don’t have a lot of money to drop on a camper for travel. We discussed what we wanted and decided we really don’t need a lot. We don’t want to have to purchase another vehicle to tow the camper which severely limits our choices. (We have a 2006 Jeep Wrangler).

Our Needs:

• Can be pulled by a Jeep Wrangler.
• Inside toilet and shower.
• Inside kitchen.
• Room for one of us to be in bed and the other to sit up and read or use a computer.

After searching and realizing there was nothing that meets our needs that we liked or could afford the decision was made to build our own. I was inspired by the Kimberley Karavan. I sat down and using Google Sketchup and began designing a camper that would fit our needs. What I came up with was a hard sided popup camper similar to the Kimberley but scaled down in size so it can be easily towed by a Jeep Wrangler.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 214
  • Untitled-2.jpg
    Untitled-2.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 186
  • Untitled-3.jpg
    Untitled-3.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 182

joey.hendrix

Observer
More design images

With this design each side of the seat folds out to make half of the bed. This way one of us can sleep while the other reads. We still have enough space to access the bath and kitchen with the bed folded out.

Attachments

• Design-4.jpg
    Design-4.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 166
  • Design-5.jpg
    Design-5.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 161
  • Design-6.jpg
    Design-6.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 160
  • Design-7.jpg
    Design-7.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 151
  • Design-8.jpg
    Design-8.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 155
  • Design-9.jpg
    Design-9.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 152

joey.hendrix

Observer
Construction Begins

Began assembling supplies a couple of weeks ago. Picked up 3500# axle tube, spindles, brakes, springs, and fenders from Northern Tools. The steel I ordered from Metals Depot arrived right on time to being working on a beautiful Saturday.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 142
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 146
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 327
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 145

joey.hendrix

Observer
Wheels

A friend from work asked about how the build was going. Told him I had finished the frame and just needed to find some 15”wheels similar to the my jeeps. Well as luck would have it he needed to get rid of 4 OEM jeep wheels and was about to take them to the dump. Took 2 of them to a local tire shop and got a couple of used tires (looked new) for $40.00. The Lord surely blessed me this day.

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 135

joey.hendrix

Observer
Tires Mounted - Frame Complete

Got the tires mounted and the wheels on. Took it down the road a few miles for a test run. Pulls great.

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 139
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 143
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 146

BigAl

Expedition Leader
attachment.php

What is the long piece of 2x3 for? Just to lines things up? Also get another wheel from your buddy for a spare!

joey.hendrix

Observer
The finished size will be 6 feet wide by 12 feet long. I'm using 2X3 and 1X2. Had to temporarily clamp a piece of 1x2 to the frame to hold the tongue in position long enough to tack it.

Geodoc

Adventurer
What are you planning to use for the walls? Any thoughts on how you'll raise the top? I ask because I'm planning something similar (only smaller). Looking good so far :)

joey.hendrix

Observer
What are you planning to use for the walls? Any thoughts on how you'll raise the top? I ask because I'm planning something similar (only smaller). Looking good so far :)

I'm going to build the walls by laminating 1" styrofoam with 1/8" plywood into panels. Cut the panels to size and glue them together with epoxy. Cover the seams with fiberglass tape and epoxy inside and out. Much like building a boat. It should be lite, strong, and waterproof.

jonnyquest

Adventurer
Please take a lot of pictures of the construction. You have a great design. I very much want to see how you put it together.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94