Kimberley Inspired Camper Build

SamM

Adventurer
The panels you are building are actually called SIPs (Structural Insulated Panels). My wife and I designed and built a new passive solar house using SIP building materials. Our panels were made in Greensburg, PA. We did the assembly ourselves and saved a great deal of money. Houses made with these panels have withstood hurricanes, as they are very strong. They are also super-insulated and very easy to heat.

This is an excellent way to build. Very cool design and you've done some great work. Kudos! Watching this one for sure! I have considered building with SIPs made from aluminum/styrofoam/OSB sandwich construction. One thing to remember is that this type construction, when done properly, eliminates thermal intrusion to the interior.

SamM

joey.hendrix

Observer
The panels you are building are actually called SIPs (Structural Insulated Panels). My wife and I designed and built a new passive solar house using SIP building materials. Our panels were made in Greensburg, PA. We did the assembly ourselves and saved a great deal of money. Houses made with these panels have withstood hurricanes, as they are very strong. They are also super-insulated and very easy to heat.

This is an excellent way to build. Very cool design and you've done some great work. Kudos! Watching this one for sure! I have considered building with SIPs made from aluminum/styrofoam/OSB sandwich construction. One thing to remember is that this type construction, when done properly, eliminates thermal intrusion to the interior.

SamM

I've always heard them referred to as stress skin panels. Saw them used on an episode of this old house years ago and really liked the idea.

Thought it would work well for this project. Weight was a big concern from the beginning. Using these panels eliminates the need for studs and fasteners thus saving weight. Plus, as you said, it should have better thermal properties. Its also pretty fast.

The biggest problem thus far has been finding an adhesive to laminate the panels. Had planned on using epoxy but found it was going to take too long and cost too much. Next tried contact adhesive but the regular stuff melted the insulation. Then I found a water based contact adhesive. Costs more but not nearly as much as epoxy and works great and is advertised to resist high heat. I have left panels in the sun and allowed them to get very hot with no delamination.

The biggest hold up at the moment is having the time off to work on it AND having the weather cooperate. Summer is coming, so I expect to get a lot done.

protohyp

Adventurer
Really cool stuff. Coming from cabinetry and construction i'm pretty familiar with 'veneering' and this method of fabrication. I personally don't like butt joints because i'm really anal about the panels not laying flush with each other even though I can sand it down. I made a semi climate controlled storage box for a friend that needed to be 10' x 10' so I cut out negative and positive pieces like a puzzle for the foam and then overlapped the 1/4" panels at the joint of the foam so as to lock the foam together. Key is to have a large work table that is super flat and straight and I think you have that based on pictures of your shop. I'm digging this build since my build is Kimberley inspired as well. I can't find the thread on IH8MUD.com but another guy did a Kimberly camper inspired thread as well. If anyone knows that thread maybe they can forward a link. I only have pics of the thread. Good luck...Keep on trucking...you'll be camping in no time. What were you going to skin with?

Attachments

• 071.jpg
    071.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 103

joey.hendrix

Observer
Really cool stuff. Coming from cabinetry and construction i'm pretty familiar with 'veneering' and this method of fabrication. I personally don't like butt joints because i'm really anal about the panels not laying flush with each other even though I can sand it down. I made a semi climate controlled storage box for a friend that needed to be 10' x 10' so I cut out negative and positive pieces like a puzzle for the foam and then overlapped the 1/4" panels at the joint of the foam so as to lock the foam together. Key is to have a large work table that is super flat and straight and I think you have that based on pictures of your shop. I'm digging this build since my build is Kimberley inspired as well. I can't find the thread on IH8MUD.com but another guy did a Kimberly camper inspired thread as well. If anyone knows that thread maybe they can forward a link. I only have pics of the thread. Good luck...Keep on trucking...you'll be camping in no time. What were you going to skin with?

No additional skin. I'm planning on covering the seams with fiberglass and covering all external surfaces with West Systems marine epoxy much like building a boat. Then fill and fare the surfaces and use a high quality paint.

SamM

Adventurer
joey,
That is exactly why we used SIP panels in the construction of our new house. No interior studding was needed. The panels do use some studding but it is a fraction of what is needed in a stick built home. The home panels are also Energy Star rated and I got 10% of the cost of the house back. Where can you buy a 3600 sq. ft. home for $19,700?

Using them for a trailer build seems to be a no-brainer to me. I like what you are doing!

SamM

joey.hendrix

Observer
Progress Report

Finally got some time off that coincided with good weather.

Began using epoxy and fiberglass cloth to reinforce the seams.

34.jpg

Goofed up the cut out around the fender. Use scrap and epoxy to fill it in. Once its sanded and painted you will never know.

35.jpg

joey.hendrix

Observer
What next?

I have been debating which part of construction to do next.

1. Complete the top
  2. Fit out the interior

I have the material to complete the top in the shop and its in the way. If I complete the top I will use up the material but then the top will be in the way. So I decided to fit out the interior first (Storage under bed, shower, kitchen). It will be easier without the top

protohyp

Adventurer
If you've decided your lift system and where it will go maybe get the top operable and dry run it. Who knows what you might run into if the inside is already set up and something with the lift doesn't work. But unlike me on my build you probably have a plan for all that and how and where it's gonna fit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joey.hendrix

Observer
If you've decided your lift system and where it will go maybe get the top operable and dry run it. Who knows what you might run into if the inside is already set up and something with the lift doesn't work. But unlike me on my build you probably have a plan for all that and how and where it's gonna fit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Excellent point. Thanks!

joey.hendrix

Observer
Kimberley Inspired Camper Build - Test Ride

With the bottom walls complete I decided to take it out for a test pull. Towed great.

38.jpg

joey.hendrix

Observer
Kimberley Inspired Camper Build - Progress

Was finally able to get back in the shop and work on the camper some more. Tried West System Six10 adhesive to bond the panels for the upper walls of the camper. It's a 2 part thickened epoxy that dispenses from a caulking gun through a mixing nozzle. Much easier that having to mix and then thicken epoxy for the glue ups. Will still be mixing epoxy for fiberglass tape and water proofing.

0-42.jpg

Dispenses easily and has a 40 minute open time.

0-41.jpg

Glued up the back section in the shop (upside down). Much easier to get it square. Hugo supervises the build.

0-39.jpg

Attachments

• 0-43.jpg
    0-43.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 58

joey.hendrix

Observer
Kimberley Inspired Camper Build - Progress

Attached temporary 1/2" thick wood strips to the bottom walls to keep the correct spacing between the upper and lower walls. Then set the rear wall assembly and temporarily attached it with screws.

0-44.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier